PDA

View Full Version : Printing Issues with Konica 7145 Copier

Custom Search

eurosears
02-01-2010, 04:47 AM
I bought a Konica 7145 and I have several problems.

When I turned the copier on for the first time I got an error F-26-3. I figured this was caused by the fact that I was transporting the copier lying down. So I removed the developing unit and the drum to clean it. I cleaned both everywhere besides the green drum itself and the magnetic roller on the developing unit (even removed the sensor in the back and cleaned it there). After inserting both thing back in the printer and starting it on again I still get the F-26-3 code.
However, I am able to get around it by doing the following "Pressing 36 while powering up, selecting process adjust, select L detec, start". After I do that I click on "Running Mode" and select Running Mode 1. When I enter into the copy mode I sometimes get the error F-26-3 again (have to redo the steps again) and sometimes not and I am able to start the copying process.

Well, the second problem is that in cases when I can start the copying processes I get paper jams all the time, in different places. It usually takes 2 pages at the same time from paper trays and jams right by the upper tray (or right next to the tray I am using), if I insert a page into the bypass tray the paper may be misfed without it even entering the printer or it gets stuck by the "Finisher Conveyance Unit". Pages coming from the trays (if they don't jam anywhere else) get stuck here as well. Basically the entire page enters this area (curls up) without being forwarded further. When I observe the copying process I don't see the white plastic gears moving just to the left of the "finisher conveyance unit" which may indicate why the paper is not passed through this part. The interesting thing is that pages that jam in this area do not have any print on them, they are basically clean. When I first opened this area (after I got the copy machine) there were a few pages stuck here and they all had print on them. This was right before I started removing and cleaning the developing unit and drum.

I should mention: The people who sold me the copier told me that they were able to make copies without a problem. Basically everything worked. However, when they were moving the copier they didn't settle it gently on the floor but rather dropped it down and once they turn it on that's when the jam problem began occurring.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me with those issues. I used to work (clean/repair) Xerox copiers in the 90's so handy work with these machines shouldn't be a problem for me.

mrwho
02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Well, first of all, if you've done the L-Detect procedure without putting in a new developer, you'll most likely need to replace it with a new one and do the L-Detect routine again, but just once.

Second, the F26-3 is indeed related to the developer. You'll either need to replace it (wich you already do, since the L-Detect values are already messed up) or you've got a problem with the TDS sensor (which is unlikely if you've got an "OK" message when you did the L-Detect procedures).

About the jam, it's hard to troubleshoot at a distance without knowing at least the Jam Code. Next time it Jams, take note of the jam code the machine throws on the screen (JXX-XX). If it doesn't, you'll need to turn on jam code display - enter 25 mode, Software SW, turn dipsw 10-7 to ON.

Good luck!

eurosears
02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Thank you mrwho for the response.
When I run the copy from the upper tray I get no error code and the paper, again, get stuck by the Finisher Conveyance Unit tray since it is not passed on further. Again, the page has no print on it. I get no error code, it just says that the coping is in progress. If I pass the page from the bypass unit I get error code J-10-0. Once I remove the page the copier works for a few second (readjusts, check for other problems), it clears the J-10-0 code and then I get the 26-3 code.

tech51
02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I would go back to basics and fix one fault at a time. Firstly completely remove the finisher unit (turn off the machine first) and see what happens when you try to copy. From your description of blank copies, multifeed jams and the fact you have had to clean out the machine due to poor transportation, I would suspect that developer has got into the back of the machine and is seizing up the solenoids that actuate the paper feed. If this is the case, you will have to strip out and clean all the drive mechanisms for the paper feed. This is not a particularly easy or quick job even when you know what youre doing. You will absolutely have to replace the developer and set it up again. Once these problems are solved and you can reliably get good quality copies out, re - fit the finisher and see what happens! To properly trouble shoot the finisher I would need to know what type it is (7145 had a couple of finisher options) lokk at the finishers label and it should be marked somthing like FS-114 or similar. Let me know that and I will try to help you further, but get it copying properly first. Cheers

RRodgers
02-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Laying DOWN?!?! They shipped it wrong and is probably one of the MAIN REASONS why you are having troubles. Ugg... Contact them and tell them to make it right.

eurosears
02-02-2010, 04:58 AM
Dear tech51,

Thank you for your help. I agree with you that first I need to concentrate on the jams.
The finisher is a FS-114. Whenever the pages do not jam right by the trays they always stop at the Finisher Conveyance Unit (see page 2-5 in the User Manual). I suspect that the FS-114 finisher is not the problem since the page does not make it to it. Basically the clean page enters the finisher conveyance unit and is not forwarded to the area where the stapler is just prior to the FS-114.
I wonder, is there a code to run the gears of the finisher conveyance unit to see if it is working properly? You can move the device manually by turning Knob 2 (page 2-14).
Also, could you please stay in touch with me. My email is eurosears at yahoo.com. Before I begin disassembling the machine to clean it I need to make sure that this area works correctly. Again, thank you for your help.

mrwho
02-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Well, that conveyance unit is a part of the finisher, so removing it to see if it solves part of the problem is still your best bet. I also agree with Tech51 - you probably have developer spilled over the machine's conveyance gears. And I also happen to agree with RRodgers - you should call those responsible and slap them on the back of their heads.

eurosears
02-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Thank you for the comments. I will remove the finisher today or tomorrow and I will let you guys know what happened.

langelot
02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Apart from all the other issues mentioned, it sound that the exit jams you are having might be due to the finisher not being engaged properly to the main body - particularly if you are not having a jam code and the paper just "curling up in there". Check to see if your finishing/output options are available (stapling for example). If its not there, chances are your finisher is either not pushed in all the way, or might have a failed board. As they mentioned earlier. try removing the finisher (there is a simple procedure with a hole through which you push a screwdriver to release a locking latch) and see how the copies will run.

The double feeding will likely be either a worn or dirty double feed prevention roller out of the corresponding tray. Where are you located? It really sounds as if you are going to need some good service to resolve all these issues or have the people who sold you this box have it replaced.

eurosears
02-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Dear Langelot,

Thank you for the extra info. I am located in Wyoming. The finisher now works. It was disconnected in the back, as you have suggested.

So I began testing it. At one time (doing hole punching) I ran 7 pages without a jam (not even a jam at point 6). It was running all the time, scanning the original and making a single copy each time (didn't have to press any buttons - which was kind of weird). Then when I stopped this process and click copy again I began having jams again at point 6 (right by the paper trays). This is weird. Why didn't it jam when it was continuously running copies before? I guess I will try to take care of this during the weekend, once I have more time. I will clean that area.

I noticed that I was unable to use the stapler. I was able to move it when I clicked "ADD STAPLES". I checked it and it still had some staples. Once I closed the cover, the stapler returned back to its starting position. Afterwards I was able to select the option to staple pages, it give me a warning to staple less than 50 pages at a time and then I get this message: Align Originals Evenly in the RADF". Can't do anything, can't copy or exit this warning/message. Had to turn off the printer and back on to print again.

eurosears
02-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Concerning the 26-3 error. Is there a way to test/clean the sensor that is responsible for this error? Once I get the developer, how do you properly install it.
Should I buy a new bottle of toner (since I don't even know how much is left in the printer)?

I am also getting this sometimes after I had a jam and restart the copier:
Please switch on/off
E-89-1

What is this?

kingarthur
02-04-2010, 08:39 AM
If this machine has been delivered "laying down" & then dropped down heavily, i would seriously consider putting it straight in the bin. With regards to your E 89 -1 code, we normally do a "reset to factory settings" to stop that, which means you have to set up to double click for A3 & dv set up & various other settings again. I would honestly send this machine back to where you got it from .

tech51
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I agree with kingarthur this machine sound seriously frazzled. If there`s any chance you can send it back, do it. What seemed like a fairly simple problem has now turned into a series of faults which would create trouble for even the most experienced engineer. Get rid of it if you can.

eurosears
02-04-2010, 06:53 PM
If this machine has been delivered "laying down" & then dropped down heavily, i would seriously consider putting it straight in the bin. With regards to your E 89 -1 code, we normally do a "reset to factory settings" to stop that, which means you have to set up to double click for A3 & dv set up & various other settings again. I would honestly send this machine back to where you got it from .

I can't return it so I will either fix it or it goes to the landfill. So I guess I need to fix it.
Could you please tell me step by step what do I need to do to reset to factory settings?
Also, what is the E 89-1 error code for?

eurosears
02-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Ok I disassembled the back, cleaned the 2 upper solenoids and discovered that SD1 drives have damaged gears. So I decided to play around with it and switched the smaller SD1 gear with the smaller SD2 gear. I cleaned some of the associated gears and put everything back together. Amazingly I was able to run 5 copies without a jam. After that the jams began again. This indicates to me that the jams are caused by the damaged gears (since it took 5 copies for the damaged gears to realign themselves so that they skip again.
I will try to buy and replace both sets. I believe that the larger gear is called Paper Feed Gear 32T and I am not sure what the smaller associated gear is called. Does anyone know what the part numbers are for the upper and lower set?

BTW the E-89-1 was caused by the finisher. After I removed it completely I don't get this error anymore. I will check the finisher tomorrow to see what causing the error. I suspect a bad connection.

Custom Search