PDA

View Full Version : Search Limitations?

Custom Search

Ast0reth
02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Can someone please post what the limitations for search are? There are a lot of times where searching for the first part of an error message (i.e. 'F2' for 'F2-00') would be extremely helpful, but it turns up no results. I know that there are many search results with F2 both in the subject and body. The search engine tells me there are no results, not 'search string too short' or anything of the like. Is there a reason these searches are not yielding any results?

mrwho
02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I also find that the search function of the forum got much worse since the update. Specially the ability to limit the search to a specific forum (Ricoh or Konica Minolta or whatever) is gone, and it was quite useful.

Aneurysm
02-02-2010, 01:20 AM
I also find that the search function of the forum got much worse since the update. Specially the ability to limit the search to a specific forum (Ricoh or Konica Minolta or whatever) is gone, and it was quite useful.

Hmmm, I wonder why they left that out of the new software. here is a work around for you.

Go into the forum you want to search
At the top of the forum view there is a "Search Forum" dropdown (see the screen shot).
Enjoy
I will work on re-indexing the search database and we can see if searching gets better.

RRodgers
02-02-2010, 01:52 AM
THANK YOU!!! For reinedexing! Uggg... I am SOOO tired of going to forums to do a search for a problem only to find crap that has NOTHING TO DO with the problem come up. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Funny thing is... you ask for help and people usually go.... did you do a search!?!??! ugggggggg!!!!!! usually about that time I loose it! LOL

mrwho
02-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Hmmm, I wonder why they left that out of the new software. here is a work around for you.

Go into the forum you want to search
At the top of the forum view there is a "Search Forum" dropdown (see the screen shot).
Enjoy

Well, it doesn't quite work. I just made a search inside the "Konica Minolta" forum and I got results from other forums.

mrwho
02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
First of all, I really appreciate the effort the forum admin(s) had in order to keep the forum up-to-date.

But, with this new forum version, I rarely find what I need through the search box. With the old version, I was almost 100% sure to find it - if I didn't, the forum didn't have it. So, big thumbs down for the new search engine.

Custom Search