PDA

View Full Version : C652 with annoying squeal

Custom Search

emujo
02-01-2010, 02:29 PM
160K on MFP. Customer complains of loud chirping noise that starts off as a background noise and as the day progresses, get so loud that they have to close all the doors (may be a slight overstatement). I can hear the noise when MFP is idling. Only motor turning in idle is fuser drive. Replaced fuser unit and pulled drive section from MFP and tore down gear pack, cleaned and lubbed all. 2 days later, noise is back. I can turn the fuser motor by hand and hear the chirp, so it's isolated to this area, but I can't seem to resolve it. Any thoughts? EMujo

hosman80
02-01-2010, 11:24 PM
i have had this issue before, its actually a common problem on this series.
do this to fix it.
sorry, i think the attachment went upside down.

RRodgers
02-02-2010, 01:22 AM
I have a C552 with the noise, I took that sucker apart and lubed EVERYTHING that moves and still get the noise. So I ordered a new fuser.

emujo
02-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Turned out to be a plastic bushing ont the frame side of the MFP. There is a gear pack that drives both the exit section and the fuser drive that is held in with 3 screws. After this gear pack was removed I could isolate the chirp to the drive portion for this gear pack. A spot of oil and all is well. None of the KM tech knowlege base address this area as a possible location of the noise, and even better, none of the service manuals explain how to remove the fuser drive section so it was a learning experiance. EMujo

RRodgers
02-05-2010, 05:25 AM
I just had this, replaced the fuser.... only to have the squeal still there. Turned out to be the rollers just above the fuser (the one's on the door) You can remove them (2 screws) and you'll see the grey rollers right below the one's ya just took off and hit it with some light oil just below the were the plastic covers the shaft. (I knew I should have taken a pic)

That got rid of the noise for me.
GL

jdallagrana
03-03-2010, 05:15 PM
we have used spray graphite (wet not powder) to take care of this problem. The graphite seems to last longer and doesnt collect any dust

KEVIN900
03-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Guys & Gals, I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Modern Tech needs in his arsenal; WD40 pen. Let's you apply very neat. precise amounts of lube, right where 3638you need it, and nowhere else.

texchar555
08-11-2010, 10:50 PM
just wanted to throw this in. the chirpping can also come from the waste container. the shaft with the sensor arm is rubbing on top of the sensor. To fix the issue just get some sticky note pad about 3mm thick and place it under the the waste container.

Stirton.M
08-12-2010, 11:41 AM
We've also been noticing a sqeak too...cyclic type noise. After some investigation, we found the culprit...

remove the fusing unit. Near the back side of the machine where the unit sits, there is a little shutter. See attached image, screwdriver points to where this is. This shutter is part of the rotation sensor. That weird shaped wheel on the fuser unit itself (the one with the leather pad, 3 humps) is what triggers that little shutter. The metal shaft that the shutter sits on, a couple drops of lube and the problem is gone. It is an easy fix, the hard part is finding your screwdriver. One screw holds the small assembly in, along with a harness that plugs in right there (you can sort of see it in this overexposed image). Remove it and clean the unit and give it lube and yer done.

Millennium
08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Stirton -

You may want to try to submit that solution to KMBS SSD. The noise is a known issue and has been escalated to Japan with no known permanent fix yet. We've replaced fusers, lubed and replaced the idle rollers on the right side door (even had a tech I work with flip the shaft that they sit on due to the pressure wearing grooves into it where the idle rollers sit), cleaned and lubed the fuser drive, everything. It always ends up coming back, but I've yet to see the solution you just posted. Will definitely try it on one of our demo room machines today.

medegno
11-19-2010, 01:13 AM
I've found that friggin' noise to come from both the bushings around oil roller and from the rear of the fuser unit's drive area. Hated taking it apart like that, but we had to do *something*-- I mean, we had already went through 2 new units beforehand.

spock
11-19-2010, 01:50 AM
I thought i better chime in on this one as we have these noises on pritty much every machine we install and some existing ones... There are actually a few different issues that can cause the noise...

1. Brush roller bushings on fuser - As already mentioned these things wear at a abnormal rate and will round out to the point that the end drive gear can skip and chatter also. We now replace them with metal items along with high temp grease. Oiling the bushings won't fix the problem and is likely to return later. If you take one apart after a couple of days the oil will be black from further wear.

2. Rotation cam on back of fuser - On new models the rotation cam has a film washer on the retaining clip side. The inner diameter of this washer is greater than the shaft allowing it to move around and jam causing increased pressure on the cam and heat/noise. We remove the film washer followed by adding high temp grease to the shaft and rub a bit on the pressure pad surface to aid in keeping it cool.

3. Stainless idler for rotation cam - This idler can generate a ticking noise at idle - adding a bit of oil to it usually fixes the problem.

4. Exit drive section above fuser on right - There is a black bushing in here also that will wear and drop material. On older models we replace the bushing with a metal item and high temp grease. On new models we strip it down and clean the shaft/bushing and add high temp grease until we source a uprated replacement...

hope this helps guys its takes us alot of trail and error to find a perminent fix for our machines.

We are also monitoring a developing problem where the fusing unit generates a creeking/groaning noise at idle after some time. It seems to be coming from the main ball bearings so far.

Stirton.M
11-19-2010, 06:17 AM
I agree with what you said spock.

I've also taken that route with the high temp stuff...oil will simply not cut it....but that is a given. It boils off....but it will help narrow down the specific area of noise.

Adding to what you did, I also go so far as to take apart the entire gear cluster of the fuser unit itself, clean the shafts and the inside of those gears, HT grease them and put it all back.

The unfortunate part however is that not any one fix will resolve the issue and I have found using the shotgun approach to this ensures I do not return to the customer for squeaks every other week.

I have also noted the main bearings doing that low pitch moan. I have yet to discern a solution to that particular issue. Replace the bearings is the current thought, but that I have not attempted to do...its a bit too much I think to take the unit apart that far....

It's a bit frustrating that KM Japan has yet to fully address this issue, as it does not just affect the C451 series, but also the latest C452 series as well.

spock
11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
yup i with you on that, when im fixing an noise i do everything i listed above to save further callbacks. I have had the gear system apart on a few fusers and greased them but lately it hasn't been an issue in our region so i haven't worried

im currently keeping an eye on the bearings and ruling things out but replacing them would be a job in itself i think, someone mentioned a couple of drops of oil in them will fix it but it shouldn't be required for a ball bearing like that. I have one in the car now actually that delaminated so i might pull it apart and see what the brand is off the bearings, probably gone cheap on them :( When i listen to it, it sounds like the bearings are moving around in the holders or something is flexing.

The bushings have been addressed by Japan as i took it all the way up the ladder and the offical word is that they are applying high temp grease to them from the factory now but they couldn't provide a cut in serial number, we put the suggestion forward to change the material but they won't do it unless the issue is unresolved. Im not sure if it will help to be honest as the black bushing material just doesn't seem strong enough to last the distance of these units now... i have to report back if the issue is not resolved in a couple of months. There is a "modification" coming for the mylar washer thats on the rotation cam which im betting is just to remove it lol...

emujo
11-19-2010, 01:08 PM
There is now a FOC program that replaces the entire fuser drive section. It's available for the C650 and C652 series. If you're a dealer it should be pretty easy to get these older gear packs out, if not the part# for the new drive belt assy is A0P0R90100. Emujo

Custom Search