PDA

View Full Version : Almost ready to place the order for a new C6501

Custom Search

Cbeech
02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
This will be our first "robust" digital machine. What I don't want to do is make the mistake of not ordering the most efficient system. We want to be able to run text and cover stocks, coated and non-coated. I expect that running 12x18 cover stocks (80 lb and 100 lb) in duplex mode would be a regular job. I also expect running 11x17 and 12x18 in text weights very common. Can you give me some suggestions on how to equip this machie? Type of paper handling/feeding systems would be most reliable? I am hesitant to put too much faith in a manuel by-pass feed. ALSO, what else should we think about (or forget about)? RIP ideas/options? Color management? Do we need a spetrometer for color calibration.

Thank you.

RRodgers
02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
This will be our first "robust" digital machine. What I don't want to do is make the mistake of not ordering the most efficient system. We want to be able to run text and cover stocks, coated and non-coated. I expect that running 12x18 cover stocks (80 lb and 100 lb) in duplex mode would be a regular job. I also expect running 11x17 and 12x18 in text weights very common. Can you give me some suggestions on how to equip this machie? Type of paper handling/feeding systems would be most reliable? I am hesitant to put too much faith in a manuel by-pass feed. ALSO, what else should we think about (or forget about)? RIP ideas/options? Color management? Do we need a spetrometer for color calibration.

Thank you.

I would go ahead and order an extra fuser for it. That way you can run the 11x17 on one fuser and the 12x18 on another for starters.

Order the calibrater as well. Have them teach you how to use it and USE it! :)

Stirton.M
02-17-2010, 11:18 PM
All these machines come with a must have print controller...usually Fiery. Colour management through that is excellent. As RRodgers mentioned, the ES1000 spectrometer is a must have. Very easy to use once you've seen it in action.

Paper feed...I highly recommend the PF602 unit. It has two large capacity drawers that allow you to handle up to 13x19 paper stock at a maximum 300gsm and 12pt cover.

The machine will duplex reliably on most stock at or below 10pt. Heavier stock that requires 267-300gsm, the machine will not allow duplex...for that, you need to split the job in half, do the front side and then flip the stack and do the rear side separately. Cheating is an option, but not recommended.

You never mentioned your finishing needs...do you plan on doing lots of booklets? And do you require a trimmer for those booklets? Do you plan on doing any post insertion for preprinted covers?

anothertech
02-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Cheating is not an option, that's where we run into a lot of problems.

Coptech
02-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Someone may come in and correct this as I have not dealt with the 6500. I have quite a bit of experience on the little sister 8050. The reason for customer replacable fusing units is that when running heavier stocks, the edges will wear "buff marks" in the fusing rollers or belts. Normally they don't show but in a solid fill, solid color, they can appear as dull streaks down the page. The theory was that the customer would use different fusers for different width papers so it doesn't have an effect. Konica Minolta is not the only one with this problem. And I wondered how the technician would decide which fuser got rebuilt at PM time with the duty cycle split.

As I understand it, the 6500 is a tough machine to beat. I have always been a believer though that you follow the best service in your area.

Good Luck with your decision.

02-18-2010, 06:37 AM

Thank you.

My thoughts...

What kind of volume you plan on running? Low volume + This machine = A really, really long 5 year lease.
If accurate/consistent color is very important to you, get the densitomiter.
If all you run is a steady diet of the stock you mentioned you will chew up the innards any machine. Make sure you have a VERY GOOD service department backing you up. (The sales guy is gonna date you for about a month and then screw you for a day, don't let shit service fuck you for the rest of your life.)
Demand only OEM parts, supplies, pm cycles, Etc... - Get it in writing

Good Luck!

dljorg
02-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Agree with everything said above.

Tray 5 in the PF-602 is where you will be running the heavy paper due to the straight paper path. If the paper is coated you need to insist that the service folks change the feed rollers at about 100K for that tray. There is a counter for this. You will be able to tell when they are shot by the jam rate, usually no feed type jams.

Choose carefully about the downstream finishing options. Most require the RU-504 relay unit which is good but will produce scratches on heavy coverage work. Paper is "decurled" in the RU and travels in an inverted U path. Heavy material drags on the RU sheet metal. The same stuff that gives the fuser trouble will result in random scratches in the surface. This cannot be fixed even though KM has a mylar kit that is supposed to work. Lots of printers doing this kind of thing just run the output into a box - lots cheaper especially if you already have off line finishing equipment in your shop.

Make sure you understand the procedure for doing front to back registration. Everyone who does business cards or postcards duplexed and then expects to use an automated cutter struggles with this. Day to day changes in paper stock and jobs mean this is a common customer adjustment that you have to understand to be happy. Front to Back registration spec is 2mm but patience with the procedure and a machine that is up on maintenance should produce a 1mm variation at most. Paper makes a big difference with this, not just what you buy but how it is stored.

Custom Search