PDA

View Full Version : Active Directory User Authentication Problem

Custom Search

pajeroid
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
I have a huge customer deal that I am installing at the moment which would like to use User Authentication via Active Directory (External Server).

However, they have a password security policy in place which means users must change their passwords every 30 days.

If I am correct this would mean a logistical nightmare for the IT department/Users as they would have to go into printer preferences every time the password was changed and also change it in the Authentication Settings.

This would not be acceptable because of the different capabilities of IT amongst staff & location of users vs. IT department.

We did go down the 'Popup Authentication Settings Box' option, but when management got wind they would have to enter the computer password every time one wanted to print, the idea was thrown out.

They really don't want to go down the 'Account Track' route. Can anyone suggest an alternative solution to my problem?

Regards,

Dave. CBS - Yorkshire.

Stirton.M
02-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Use LDAP.

The machine will use the server login information and update itself on the fly based on what the server provides.

Refer to the network printing manuals on how to set up and use LDAP.

emujo
02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I don't see a problem... If you're logging onto the MFP using AD, it doesn't matter if the users change their passwords every 5 min. If AD likes the password, you are authenticated. If you utilize the scan to me fuctionality you are emailing at least to yourself. When you send a print job, the MFP will once again use AD to verify the credentials. As long as the users don't populate the pop ups with their passwords and are willing to type them in as needed should not be an issue. You could also disable the requirement for passwords when printing. Emujo

BIG PAPA
02-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Either way the customer will have to authenticate before using. AD will just prevent you from having to input everything into the device. What about using prox cards or bio auth units?

Custom Search