PDA

View Full Version : 7145 light spots

Custom Search

copierlady
02-23-2010, 03:48 AM
Hey guys. I have a customer that swears the copies have light spots on them. They gave me samples when i got there. But... When i get there it has great copies, and prints. . Thier main complant is printing, but i'm not sure if it is exclusive to printing only.
I don't know much of anything because it will not do it when i show up. The copies they show me look like a flat spot on the drum, but the problem is not consistant enough. I am returning for the third time tomarrow, and i'd like to have some different ideas on what to look for. Any takers?

Morlock49
02-23-2010, 04:43 AM
not sure what the light marks look like but taking a shot in the dark.
1: Check the transfer and sep block on the side door. the insulation deteriates and allows arching to the door frame, causing poor transfer.
2: check the fuser rollers for flat spots
3: check the scan rail for lumps causing the scan unit to jump ( only if using the platen glass )

copierlady
02-23-2010, 12:27 PM
i just rebuilt the fuser so i know it's not flat rollers ( sorry i forgot to mention that) i'll ck out that transfer sep block, thanks for reminding me , that gives me a new point of view on things. sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees.

BIG PAPA
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Ask them if it is mostly first thing in the morning. It might be condensation on the drum. There were some bullitens on this a long time ago. tray heaters can help, as well as there is a dip switch to increase initial drum rotation, but I dont have the info on me. But if this is the issue it will occur after the machine has sat idle for extended periods, and will not happen when you show up.

SmellsHot
02-23-2010, 10:21 PM
DIPSW 6-0 to a 1, sets 30seconds extra pre drum rotation time....and tray heaters. But this really only works after you replaced drum and cleaning blade. What does a 255 halftone test pattern look like(skyshot)?

copierlady
02-24-2010, 03:02 AM
thanks guys,gotta go back again tomarrow. i'll gather some more info. they gave me some more examples today. this time it looks like it is distorting the image. sometimes the letters are thicker or bolder sometimes they are wavy and out of focus, kinda like those pass words you have to type in to get onto certain web sites where they distort the letters and you have to figure out what it says. thats the best i know how to describe it. these are all prints, not copies. i have yet to determine if it does it on copies, and the customer can not tell me either. no pattern of consistancy to it. i checked the high voltage power supply today, no sign of arching,checked the charge unit on the drum, and changed the transfer unit in the door, but i don't really think that did anything. thanks for your help.

SAR
02-24-2010, 06:17 PM
It may be an issue with the drive gears/ motors in the back of the copier. The drive gears, motor shafts, paper feed gears, etc were heavily greased on those machines and as the grease became old and hardened, it caused all kinds of issues with jamming, jitters in the copies, etc.
Pulling and cleaning all the old grease from the drive components will solve many of your issues.

SmellsHot
02-24-2010, 06:22 PM
wavy and distorted sounds just like the humidity issue described above.....replaced drum, cleaning blade and install tray heater. You can steal a tray heater from a 7020 i believe. Than you must set DIPSW 16-2 to a 1(turns on heater) and 6-0 to a 1(allows for 30se more drum rotation).
Good luck

copierlady
02-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Ok i'm lost here. What is a tray heater? Is it standard or an option on the machine? Keep in mind i live in florida. We tell our customers to keep the air on to keep it cool and dry! I never heard of a tray heater!
Is it maybe called something else as well?

deep
02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
I think the tray heater is a heater film attached to the machine near the paper drawer to protect the paper from high humid air.

I Think it has another name called PTC heater.

SmellsHot
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Subject:
Copy quality issue - 'fuzzy' copies.
Description:
Copy quality issue - 'fuzzy' copies.
Solution:

CAUSE: Moisture in the paper.

SOLUTION: Please perform both of the following:
1. Install the internal heater (p/n 26NA-7562), which is an option. After installing, set the dipswitch 16-2 to 0 (heater always ON).

2. Set the drum pre-rotation time dipswitch 6-0 to 1 (30 seconds additional pre-rotation).

To install heater:
If you remove tray 2 and look inside of the machine(back left), you will see an open connector. Plug the tray heater in here. There is also two screw holes on the metal frame. One is sufficient enough. Be very careful not too touch this heater once it is plugged in and turned on...HOT!!!
Good luck

BIG PAPA
02-25-2010, 09:37 PM
The tray heater is a flat heater that gets installed under the paper trays and plugged into the connecor there. They are designed to heat the paper and reduce moisture induced problems. I dont think they were standard on that model. Try the dip switches at least.

copierlady
03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Ok guys, thanks for your help. Took my drum, printed my helpful notes, even took a dv unit with me, and when i arrived they said, "oh , by the way.....it hasn't done it since you where here last time"
( oh well, that explains why you've been calling my service manager, and wanting to know when i could get back out here!)
oh well ... Changed out the drum anyway and set the dip switch. I'll let ya know if anything changes. Have a great week.

Custom Search