PDA

View Full Version : Document processor tip... (when it measures size too large)

Custom Search

n25an
02-28-2010, 02:28 PM
I had a problem with a kmc3232e this week... the document processor kept saying 8.5 by 14 for 8.5 by 11 and 11 by 17 for 11 by 8.5... I changed the document processor... same issue... I updated the firmware same issue... after doing a few tumbles with tech support... and the systems engineer... my service manager ran across an obscure note about direct light...

the test...
turn off the lights and see if all works...
and/or take an 8.5 by 11 piece of paper and cast a shadow over the sensor
the document processor should start working fine...

if it works...
then the problem is the lighting...
the sensor thats giving the problem is fine... it detects the presence of a particular wavelength of light... the flourescent lighting is giving this off in spades...

the solution...
keep the light off... (works)
move the copier so its not in direct line of sight of the light (works)
make some kind of filter...(might not work)

blackcat4866
02-28-2010, 09:52 PM
This is a very common situation on some Canon document feeders, either in bright fluorescent light or direct sunlight. It's not as obscure as you've been made to believe.

In the past I have convinced a few customers to relocate a machine to change the angle of the light. I've heard of techs getting different types of fluorescent tubes for the ceiling fixtures. In a few cases the sunlight came in via an oblique angle, and I could stick on a black mylar to block those rays but not interfere with the operation of the document feeder. I have heard tales of techs creating a lens or "sunglasses" for a particular DF sensor, but have never seen it work in person. It must require more skill (or luck) than I can summon. I would probably focus on moving the machine if you can convince the keyop. It really helps if the issue is reproducible.

Good luck. =^..^=

happicopy
03-01-2010, 08:01 PM
will try it myself

Custom Search