PDA

View Full Version : DI251 - PI3502 Problem

Custom Search

darastafari
03-02-2010, 03:43 AM
I have a DI251 with the PI3502 print controller installed on it. Intermittently the print jobs lock up and the user cannot access the pagescope web connection page. I hooked up my laptop via crossover cable to the copier and ran a continuous ping test. A few times I got a "no reply" response on it. I had my service center strip out a PI3502 from another copier. I installed this controller and could not get any response to a ping. I'm not sure if anyone actually tested the controller, so I convinced the customer to let me pull out the controller from another one of their machines and test it. This time I got either, reply, no reply, and hardware error.
Any suggestions on what to replace? I was thinking of replacing the mfp board of the copier (located on the back of the machine behind the scanner).

Hansoon
03-02-2010, 09:05 PM
According to our experience this is typical for a failing NIC of the Pi-3502 and is what is happening more and more these days. However would not explain directly why the other controllers didn't work except for firmware irregularities perhaps.

Hans

aleksander
03-03-2010, 02:43 AM
replace your Pi3502.

mjunkaged
03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
OK, I went to school on this model, and pretty sure you're NOT supposed to use a crossover cable on this nic. It's a very early model and susceptible to being blown.
I have personally witnessed it happening after an IT professional plugged an XO cable into it, and I've personally never used a crossover, only a switch or working network.
Also, always power the unit down before making/breaking cat5 connection.
All good advice given the age (nearly 10 years!) of these boxes!!!

Me.

TheOwl
03-16-2010, 03:35 AM
Well, as Hansoon suggested, these NIC's are known to die quiet reguarly. Unfortunately this is just the way the NIC was built by NetSilicone (not made by Minolta).

Occasionally you can get a NIC to come back online after a failure by changing the jumper position of OP2 (or could be marked as FACT) and turning on the machine. Wait until the lights flash between Green and Orange then turn the machine off and replace the jumper. This will set the NIC back to factory defaults so you will need to set everything back up again. Another thing is to try and update the firmware, but a flakey connection (drop outs) could render the NIC completely dead if it drops out during the firmware update.

These NIC's also have funny reply rates to ping requests. Some will be quick and some will be slow, but you should always get a reply.

A time out in the midst of a continuous ping generally means that the NIC is about to die and a harware failure reply is stating the network cable has suddenly been unplugged (or most likely in your case the NIC has temporarily dropped offline). If you can't get a decent reply from the NIC via a crossover cable, then it is time to replace the NIC. I know that Konica Minolta don't sell them anymore as there is no longer any stock.

If you aren't using the scan feature of the machine, you can get around this problem by using an HP JetDirect plugged into the parallel port (mini SCSI style connector) on the back of the Pi3502e. Doing this will however stop scanning and web interface features, but at least you will still have a printer.

copyman
03-16-2010, 03:55 AM
I agree about the NIC's going bad in these.

I have used a crossover cable many times on these and have never damaged one.

If all else fails use an HP 4 driver. You will not be able to select options from printer properties but will still be able to scan. it will work a lot better with an intermittent failing NIC because HP drivers send the job line by line. When I had over 50 of these in the field and starting to have the nic's go bad this made my life much easier.

Custom Search