PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to completely edit a printer driver before install ?

Custom Search

fishleg
03-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I do alot of installs and sometimes when people dont have a printer server it can take a bit of time going round each machine setting up options etc.

What I would love is to be able to customise the print driver options before install i.e. if the customer wants grey scale on by default tray options etc I could alter the driver to suite then make a bat file to do it all in one go.

Is that possible I know konica sometimes have b&w only drivers but how do they do it can you edit the driver files and what would you need ?

Cheers for any help,
Fishy

emujo
03-27-2010, 09:35 PM
If you are setting up 10 users as local printers, you have no choice but to spend the time tweaking everyones print preferances, but if you are doing a server install, you can go to the "Advanced" tab and under "printing defaults" here, make the changes you want. Anyone connecting to this shared resource will be defaulted to whatever you selected. Good for ensuring color is off, and other paper saving options. Emujo

TheOwl
03-27-2010, 09:55 PM
The are driverpackaging tools out that basically requires the setup of one print driver and it will then take a snapshot of it's configuration.

I believe that Konica Minolta have a tool to be able to do this, but not sure if it will work with other brands.

As far as B&W only drivers, they remove all the colour options from the driver and then recompile it. You would really have to know what you are doing to be able to edit drivers and their GUI's.

fishleg
03-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah thanks I just found that driver packaging utility but it seems to only work for the c253 was hoping for something that would work across the full range of konicas maybe even other brands..

How do you ad a driver to that driver packaging utility it doesnt seem to want to actually pick up the drivers do they have to be in a certain folder or something ? as when I go to add driver I just get a blank list no options what so ever I am on windows 7 though.

Any other way to do this I cant seem to find any sorta software that is able to do this.

Cheers,
Fish

Custom Search