PDA

View Full Version : Konica 7145 Drum Installation Issues

Custom Search

eurosears
04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Recently I had to remove the drum in order to clean that little sensor on the drum unit. After the cleanup I put the drum back into the unit and ran copies. Now I am getting lines across the pages. This is especially true on the first 1 to 4 pages that I run in a sequence (with each copy having less visible lines). After about 4 copies the dark lines mostly dissapear, until I start another copy sequence.

I removed and reinstalled the drum thinking that maybe I didn't put it wright on the drum unit. Now the lines are somewhere else on the copies. Well here is the deal. I know that this caused by the fact that I had to remove the drum to clean the sensor (coronas are fine). The drum is old (but prior to the removal it still was making excellent copies). The blade below the drum is definately old too and, so, probably stiff. I should mention that I didn't clean the blade at all since I started removing and reinstalling the drum. This is partially caused by the fact that I don't have the setting powder or a new blade.

Now here is a question to those who dealt with the same issue:
How do I make these lines dissapear without replacing the drum, blade and without the original setting powder? Should I clean the blade prior to inserting the drum? If so, what can I use instead of the original setting powder (e.g., WD-40>?)?

Matt25112
04-08-2010, 09:43 PM
I run my vacuum right across the cleaning blade then put the setting powder on the blade & drum. I understand you could nick the blade by doing so but you can also removed debris that is gunked on it. Sounds like the blade is already having problems so what do you have to lose.

copytechman
04-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Depends on the type of lines, seriously, drum blade lines rarely get better as a machine runs, more often they get worse, much like how a worn windshield wiper works. More likely IMHO is that it is the corona wires and grid, i'd clean / change em..

Regards!
A.

pepper38_cnd
04-08-2010, 11:03 PM
WD-40 would really mess things up! I hope that was meant as a joke. How do you know the wires are good? Did you just replace them? If the lines are coming from the drum or blade they will generally be distinct and very straight, if they are coming from the Charge wire or grid they will be fuzzy dark and light and can tend to move around. My guess would be the drum got light struck ( meaning you did not wrap it in a drum cloth ) when it was out of the machine, and now needs a stronger charge, the reason the line go away on a longer run is that the drum gets conditioned as it runs and builds a slight charge that never fully dissipates until the charge is turned off. New Charge wires may compensate for this , but the real fix is to replace the drum and blade I would do the Charge wires at the same time regardless of age.

Oh and if you do not have a setting powder pouch, just take a cotton pad poor toner on it and use it like you would the pouch to apply toner to both the Blade and Drum

eurosears
04-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Thank you guys for the info. So is there a way I can safely increase the charge on the drum (I remember there was something you could do to the drum in menu 36)?

Concerning the lines, yes they are straight, they tend to be in the same place all the time (until, I remove and reinsert the drum).

joesf
04-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Yup these guys have the right idea, these machines give pleny of line issues with the dirty corona grid and charge wire. If they are shot replace them, that is pretty common. Check your grounding pins and connectors to make sure no toner or dirt is in there also.

pepper38_cnd
04-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Playing with Charge or Grid Voltage is a risky thing, you may end up pulling developer, which will damage your Fuser and Drum

Ray G.
04-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Recently I had to remove the drum in order to clean that little sensor on the drum unit. After the cleanup I put the drum back into the unit and ran copies. Now I am getting lines across the pages. This is especially true on the first 1 to 4 pages that I run in a sequence (with each copy having less visible lines). After about 4 copies the dark lines mostly dissapear, until I start another copy sequence.

I removed and reinstalled the drum thinking that maybe I didn't put it wright on the drum unit. Now the lines are somewhere else on the copies. Well here is the deal. I know that this caused by the fact that I had to remove the drum to clean the sensor (coronas are fine). The drum is old (but prior to the removal it still was making excellent copies). The blade below the drum is definately old too and, so, probably stiff. I should mention that I didn't clean the blade at all since I started removing and reinstalling the drum. This is partially caused by the fact that I don't have the setting powder or a new blade.

Now here is a question to those who dealt with the same issue:
How do I make these lines dissapear without replacing the drum, blade and without the original setting powder? Should I clean the blade prior to inserting the drum? If so, what can I use instead of the original setting powder (e.g., WD-40>?)?I have used toner for a setting powder for a number of years. After cleaning drum and blade, apply toner to their surfaces. In re-installing drum, turn the drum before installing pressure spring unit.
Also, I use a choregirl pad to clean the grid and a hard erasure to "polish" or clean the corona wire. That will prolong the life of both grid and wire.

eurosears
04-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Solved it, prints great. Basically, I cleaned the blade using a cotton swab and vacuum cleaner. Then I wiped the drum with a cotton swab. Finally, I sprinkled lightly the drum with toner and rolled it once on the unit and put it back into the copier. Prints great. Thank you all for advice.

patterson70
05-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Hello, I am installing a new drum and blade for the 7145 and when I took the Charge Corona Assembly off a small 3/4 inch spring fell out from the front. It is not one of the two imbedded ones, and I cannot see where it could possibly go. The instructions do not mention it. When reassembling it does not appear to be needed, since the two imbedded springs seem to be providing enough pressure. But I am wondering if not installing will be a problem. Can any one direct me? Thanks.

darry1322
05-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Hello, I am installing a new drum and blade for the 7145 and when I took the Charge Corona Assembly off a small 3/4 inch spring fell out from the front. It is not one of the two imbedded ones, and I cannot see where it could possibly go. The instructions do not mention it. When reassembling it does not appear to be needed, since the two imbedded springs seem to be providing enough pressure. But I am wondering if not installing will be a problem. Can any one direct me? Thanks.

Check out the parts manual for the drum unit and look at the cleaning rod assembly for the charge wire cleaner and you should see the spring you found.

tech28
05-06-2018, 02:43 AM
Thats the spring that hold's tension on the corona block, goes in front of corona, the corona cleaner that you took off holds that in. I would post a picture from the service manual. but unfortunately, I cant do that, sorry.

Synthohol
05-06-2018, 03:00 PM
here ya go, see if its on these pages.

darry1322
05-06-2018, 08:00 PM
here ya go, see if its on these pages.

Interestingly, I don't see the spring I was referring to listed there. It should be there, but I don't see it.

Synthohol
05-06-2018, 09:03 PM
a picture would be helpful.

tech28
05-07-2018, 01:40 AM
It's not on the charge unit, it's part of the drum unit itself. When you put the corona back, toward the front of the corona where you slide the corona wire cleaner, its goes right between the corona and drum unit.

patterson70
05-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Thank you tech28 and others. I am posting a pic - there is not a seat for the lone spring I assume - you just place it in that area between the drum and the corona fits against it when it is placed into the two spring loaded holes? Seems kind of an after-thought by the designer?

patterson70
05-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Oops , here are the pics

tech28
05-08-2018, 02:51 AM
Goes where the corona cleaner shaft is inserted, shaft hols spring in place, everything said and done, you dont need it, machine will work just fine, even without the corona cleaner, customers that use that wire cleaner create more problems, we just take em off and do a corona cleaning when servicing machines. Still have a bunch out, have tons of parts, boards, gears, everything needed for those machines. Oldy but a very good running copier/printer/scanner(only b/w) but just one good piece of machine. Have some with a million plus, and still purring.

patterson70
05-08-2018, 04:49 AM
Ok, thank you again and for this additional clarification! And for the additional information about this machine, great to know! I am now more impressed than ever with it.

Custom Search