PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 350 won't go to ready after HD installed

Custom Search

integritybob
05-06-2010, 02:11 AM
I was attempting to add a hard drive to a Bizhub 350 (monochrome), adding a hard drive pulled from another unit. After installing the drive the unit powered up normally. I went into Service Mode - System Input, changed the setting to indicate that a hard drive was installed, and got a screen saying to turn the machine off & on.

I did and this is where the problem started. I got the "Please wait a moment" screen, and then the Konica Minolta logo screen as expected. The finisher and doc feeder initialized as expected, but the normal screen did not come up. After about 5 minutes (still showing the logo screen), the process repeats - the "Please wait . . . " screeen, the initial sequence, and the logo screen . . . . over and over.

I removed the hard drive and attempted to put things back as they were, but it still does the same thing, never going to the normal Ready screen.

Any suggestions?

copytechman
05-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Did u format the hdd?

Regards!
A.

integritybob
05-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Did u format the hdd?

Regards!
A.

I was attempting to format the hard drive when the problem started.

copytechman
05-06-2010, 02:29 AM
How 'bout the ribbon cable, installed the right way round?

A.

jeffreyclay
05-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Can you still get into the service screen? If so, flash it to v80 and see if that corrects it. I've seen KM's that wont acknowledge accessories if running on early firmware.:mad:

copytechman
05-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Important: did u move power supply as well?

A.

BR549
05-06-2010, 02:37 AM
I had those same symptons at a service call recently. Removing the HDD got it working better but it was still doing some strange things until I did a total clear. Of course, after the total clear you will need to reprogram everything. The HDD was not being used so I left it out.

integritybob
05-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Can you still get into the service screen? If so, flash it to v80 and see if that corrects it. I've seen KM's that wont acknowledge accessories if running on early firmware.:mad:

No, it never gets past the Konica Minolta logo screen, so the panel buttons are unresponsive and there is no way I can enter service mode.

integritybob
05-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Important: did u move power supply as well?

A.

Never touched the power supply - just removed the side & upper rear covers so I could pull the board that the hard drive & memory attach to.

integritybob
05-06-2010, 05:07 AM
How 'bout the ribbon cable, installed the right way round?

A.

The hard drive was a pull from another copier (which had worked). The ribbon cable went on exactly the way it came off.

integritybob
05-06-2010, 05:12 AM
I had those same symptons at a service call recently. Removing the HDD got it working better but it was still doing some strange things until I did a total clear. Of course, after the total clear you will need to reprogram everything. The HDD was not being used so I left it out.

Removing the hard drive didn't improve anything for me - it still won't get past the Konica MInolta logo screen. Having to reprogram everything would be a small price to pay if I could just get it working again. :)

What method did you use to do a "total clear?"

aleksander
05-06-2010, 05:21 AM
HD504 has its own power supply unit. check at the bottom of the machine and open the bottom cover. You must install the power supply unit. Read the HD504 installation manual.
I hope this info can help you.

integritybob
05-06-2010, 05:33 AM
HD504 has its own power supply unit. check at the bottom of the machine and open the bottom cover. You must install the power supply unit. Read the HD504 installation manual.
I hope this info can help you.

The hard drive was pulled from another copier - I've searched for an installation manual, but I don't have one. At this point I'd be happy just to get the system working again without the hard drive.

Hansoon
05-06-2010, 06:31 AM
It needs this power supply in the lower rear of the machine:

Hans

integritybob
05-06-2010, 06:42 AM
It needs this power supply in the lower rear of the machine:

Hans

Thanks for taking the time to send the picture - most helpful. Okay, so now I know why the hard drive wouldn't work. Now the question is, how do I get it to work again without the hard drive?

aleksander
05-06-2010, 07:57 AM
hans give you the best solution with image example. If you don't want to use HDD you can disable the HDD in tech rep mode.

copytechman
05-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Quickest solution is to move the power supply too. Or if you don't want to use the hdd, simply remove it, goto tech rep mode and disable the hdd (via system input again)..
Regards.
A.

BR549
05-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Removing the hard drive didn't improve anything for me - it still won't get past the Konica MInolta logo screen. Having to reprogram everything would be a small price to pay if I could just get it working again. :)

What method did you use to do a "total clear?"

Total clear is under initial mode. Remove compact flash cover, press warm restart button. When dot appears on left side of screen press 3. Enter service code,00000000. Select total clear. After exiting, cycle power.

SmellsHot
05-06-2010, 12:51 PM
how long are you waiting when you power up the machine?? Sometimes it can take between 5-7 minutes for the machine to respond. I just installed one yesterday, and it once you turn it on in system input and than cycle the machine it will do this.....
usually sits at km logo screen for 5mins and then a few more minutes at the basic copy screen(when you touch a button at the basic screen nothing will respond)

integritybob
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Quickest solution is to move the power supply too. Or if you don't want to use the hdd, simply remove it, goto tech rep mode and disable the hdd (via system input again)..
Regards.
A.

I can't get into tech rep mode. I can't even get to the basic copy screen. It seems to be in some sort of loop.

integritybob
05-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Total clear is under initial mode. Remove compact flash cover, press warm restart button. When dot appears on left side of screen press 3. Enter service code,00000000. Select total clear. After exiting, cycle power.

I can get into initial mode - I'll give that a try. Thanks!

integritybob
05-06-2010, 05:10 PM
hans give you the best solution with image example. If you don't want to use HDD you can disable the HDD in tech rep mode.

Which I would happily do - if I could get into tech rep mode. It never completely boots up. It makes it as far as the Konica Minolta logo screen, then starts the process over.

integritybob
05-06-2010, 05:17 PM
how long are you waiting when you power up the machine?? Sometimes it can take between 5-7 minutes for the machine to respond. I just installed one yesterday, and it once you turn it on in system input and than cycle the machine it will do this.....
usually sits at km logo screen for 5mins and then a few more minutes at the basic copy screen(when you touch a button at the basic screen nothing will respond)

It never makes it to the basic copy screen. When powered up it gives me the "Please wait a moment" screen for a few seconds, then the km logo screen. I get the normal bootup noises (motors, finisher, doc feeder, etc), then it just displays the km logo for 3 or 4 minutes, then the "Please wait a moment" screen flashes again and the process repeats. It never gets to the basic copy screen. I even let it run through this cycle about a half dozen times before shutting it down. This is with the hard drive removed, everything back to exactly the way I found it.

Cantechman
05-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Reflashing the firmware with the harddrive removed should fix that problem.

integritybob
05-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Reflashing the firmware with the harddrive removed should fix that problem.

Sounds good, except that I don't have a copy of the firmware. Any idea where I can get a copy?

SmellsHot
05-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Your machine is prolly looking for the hard drive, thats why it constantly reboots. It will more than likely work if you have the HD installed....with the power supply of course......

integritybob
05-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Your machine is prolly looking for the hard drive, thats why it constantly reboots. It will more than likely work if you have the HD installed....with the power supply of course......

Makes sense. Unfortunately, I don't have the power supply right now, although I'm going to try to find one.

Hansoon
05-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Makes sense. Unfortunately, I don't have the power supply right now, although I'm going to try to find one.

You could use a power supply which comes together with an USB-IDE Adapter or any stable 5VDC powersupply. In the picture, the left connector, is the output going to the board where the HDD is mounted. Green is ground, yellow is 5VDC.

Hans

integritybob
05-07-2010, 01:35 AM
You could use a power supply which comes together with an USB-IDE Adapter or any stable 5VDC powersupply. In the picture, the left connector, is the output going to the board where the HDD is mounted. Green is ground, yellow is 5VDC.

Hans

Thanks for the suggestion. I prefer not to use fixes like that (using some other sort of power supply) if I can avoid it, but at least it is an option.

Cantechman
05-07-2010, 03:14 AM
I would get the firmware from my technical support site. I thought you were a tech with access to that site. I don't know how you get it without access.

Sounds good, except that I don't have a copy of the firmware. Any idea where I can get a copy?

integritybob
05-07-2010, 03:41 AM
I would get the firmware from my technical support site. I thought you were a tech with access to that site. I don't know how you get it without access.

I am a tech, but not with access to the KM tech support site - I'm an independent.

integritybob
05-12-2010, 03:17 AM

Update: Proper power supply installed, firmware updated, total clear, and things are working again. Copying and printing function normally.

Except the hard drive. I set it to see the hard drive in System Input. When I go to Admin Mgmt I enter the password and immediately get a screen telling me to turn the machine off and on if I have changed the hard drive settings and giving me the option to format. I turn the machine off and on, come back to this screen, try to format and get this message: "Unable to format hard disk. Please turn the machine off and on." I turn the machine off and on and it goes back to the no hard drive setting in System Input.

I have tried this numerous times. I checked the output voltage of the newly installed power supply (okay). I even tried a different hard drive, one that I knew to be good.

So, I'm back where I started, but at least the copier is working.

copytechman
05-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Is the hdd ribbon cable plugged in the correct way (yes it is possible!) ?

Regards!
A.

SmellsHot
05-12-2010, 03:51 AM
I agree....flip the cable over and try again....each time you cycle power after a "NG" format of the HD, the machine will automatically change the hard drive setitng in system input back to "no"
"do the day and let the day do you!"

integritybob
05-12-2010, 04:00 AM
I agree....flip the cable over and try again....each time you cycle power after a "NG" format of the HD, the machine will automatically change the hard drive setitng in system input back to "no"
"do the day and let the day do you!"

Yes, I know that now. :-)

I checked the cable numerous times, and it came out of a working machine, so it is sort of pre-formed into the correct alignment, but I will certainly try it the other way.

I also inspected it visually. Pin one on the drive is on the end with the 4 jumper pins, and pin one on the board connecter is the end away from the corner of the board, closest to the NVRAM chip. Red stripe on the ribbon cable goes pin 1 to pin 1. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

At any rate, thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Hansoon
05-12-2010, 06:01 AM
It should look like this:

Hans

integritybob
05-12-2010, 06:15 AM
It should look like this:

Hans

And that is indeed exactly how it does look. Thanks again for putting up these images, which really clarify things.

I think we can rule out an incorrectly connected ribbon cable.

Any other ideas?

copytechman
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Well, all things being equal and if the hdd setup (psu and hdd and cable etc) were a known good working pull from another machine (bh200 series etc), you've done the cable, PSU, hdd, firmware. Set hdd to enable and tried to format it with a ng result.. I'd be leaning towards that main board there.. Not sure if there is much else to try!... pull whole rig and try on another machine maybe if it's feasible?

Regards!
A.

integritybob
05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, all things being equal and if the hdd setup (psu and hdd and cable etc) were a known good working pull from another machine (bh200 series etc), you've done the cable, PSU, hdd, firmware. Set hdd to enable and tried to format it with a ng result.. I'd be leaning towards that main board there.. Not sure if there is much else to try!... pull whole rig and try on another machine maybe if it's feasible?

Regards!
A.

Thanks for the suggestions. The hdd, etc. did indeed come from a working machine (a bh200, actually) plus I have tried a second hdd, checked the cable, installed and checked the psu, etc. I guess I'll try another main board. I just wanted to make sure that there was not some obscure soft switch setting or something that I was overlooking.

Custom Search