PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 222 - Scan to SMB (Windows or Novell) Experience?

Custom Search

jhouse55
05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Hello,
Does anyone here have any experience with Scanning to SMB successfully working on this model? Our optimal goal is to scan to a Novell (SuSe) Linux server running SMB, but for now I'm just trying to get it to scan to a windows server share.
I have a little experience with Canon Scanners in that we had to add a general network user account (ScannerAdmin) and password which had Write access to the directories we wanted to scan to. This resided on that copier so everytime it came across the network to a share, it would present those credentials. I don't see that on the Konica side so I don't think when the request comes across the network to that share, it presents the credentials correctly.

I have the LDap server configured correctly as I can search names in ldap with no issues. Where would I need to go from here? I had set a few "One Touch " buttons and put in for the path /sharedfoldername with the "/" on the front but still no luck. After I do the scan, I bring up Document info and it just shows waiting.....
Is there a log that is created possibly which will tell me what is wrong? I have a good feeling this is a authentication issue and the documentation isn't the best in the world either.

Thanks in advance for any recommendatons,
jhouse55

Mr Spock
05-12-2010, 12:35 AM
There are a couple of softswitches that need to be set so you can add the username and password through the user interface or webpage. Also what version windows server are you running? Is it the PDC or just a server? PDC's require smb signing which this model does not do well. as far as scanning to novell I believe that you have to use ftp to do that..

jhouse55
05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
This is a Server 2003 Windows Server that is not a DC, just a member of the domain. What would those soft switches be you are referring to?

For Novell, which is what we actually have to get working, FTP is our last resort but since we have SMB enabled on the Novell server, I'm hoping I can get it to work. I just want to get this going on the Windows side first and get all permissions in place for that general scanner user account. Once everything is all set and ideal in the Windows world, I can then work in the Novell environment.

Thanks for your reply.

Mr Spock
05-13-2010, 12:37 AM
The soft switches were for the smtp protocol.

The following appear when bits 6 and 2 of mode 380 are set to “1” in the
Software Switch Setting screen. For details, refer to “Specifying software
switch settings (machine functions)” on page 9-29.
- SMTP Authentication User Name
- SMTP Authentication Password

Other wise it should be a permissions issue on the server. I would check and make sure the user name and password are correct and have full access to the folder. Use the web page to set it up.

jhouse55
05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
So we would have to enable the SMTP Authorization tabs for File Server-SMB Access? We were not planning on sending any scans to email but if that doubles as authentication when reaching that share, we'll do it. We have already tested access with the specified scanner account via a pc with no issues.

Thanks, we'll give that a try

emujo
05-13-2010, 01:11 PM
On server 2003 and later, you must disable the digitaly signed requirements to successfully scan. The soft switches Mr Spock mentions are for turning on SMTP authentication (disbaled by default on the 222). Here's how I set up SMB scanning on the server...create a folder on the root, under sharing and security, add the user you created and give that user full permissions to the folder (not just "everyone"). Set up the scan one touch via Page Scope... Give the one touch a name, use all caps for the host name with out any leading "\\". Under path, use the name of the folder you created once again with no leading "\\". input your user name and password. At this point you need to test the functionality, try a scan and if it fails, look at the job log and let us know the error code associated with the failure. The usual reasons are folder not found, and log in failure. Novel setup is the same as long as you are running native file awareness on the novel server as it does not recognize SMB (Unix has the same issue with scanning from our products). Emujo

copytechman
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
No, smtp and smb are different alltogther.. Program smb settings for a one touch via the store/scan tab in the machines web interface. It'll allow ip or hostname (if dns is programmed right). Share name, username and password. If thats a no go, it'll be either a firewall thing maybe or more likely a permissions thing (like server signing or no full control or write access) .. Hope this helps

Regards!
A.

jhouse55
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Excellent, thanks, we will try this today. The error report is kind of bland but I'll see what it spits out. The Novell server we will be trying is a SuSe Linux server with SMB installed. We're only going to go to the Novell once we get the scanner communicating with the Windows side first.

jhouse55
05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Makes perfect sense copytechman, which is why I questioned it. Thanks

Custom Search