PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Copier

Custom Search

djandl
05-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I have written an article to make it easier for folks that are small Mom and Pops companies to buy a copier with a "how to" guide to buying a copier. This document in PDF format is also helpful to facility and information technology companies looking to purchase printers, faxes and copiers. Check it out and let me know what you think. Please post any comments to my email and check out our website to find more interesting articles.

You can find the article attached in this post, or on the left hand side of Colorado Copier Solutions (720) 881-1547 or sales@coloradocopiersolutions.com (http://coloradocopiersolutions.com) website. Click on the PDF icon to download the file, or go to the articles section to learn more.

cobiray
05-12-2010, 05:39 PM
In section 1, the word "inpatient" should be "impatient." The rest of it is pretty good, but I have a few comments.

Not all companies can/will do on site demos. We have items in out show room, but generally don't participate in this as it has burned us in the past. "Prospective" customers have run up unbelievable amounts of copies on new machines and never paid a dime for them. It's more of a C.Y.A. issue on our parts.

The other thing, other than purchasing or leasing, is to consider is a month to month (or longer) rental. In the current economic market, some small/new/upstart companies are having trouble getting leases approved and don't have the capital up front to buy outright. This rental process has filled this niche nicely. Granted these are not new machines, but we refurbish and rent usable machines of all segments and options. The rental includes a number of copies per month in addition to service, parts and toner.

Another thing to consider is asking the prospective vendors for any suggestions or recommendations on a system as well. Sometimes a customer has a thought on what they want and the vendor can recommend a "business solution" and not just sell them hardware. We offer additional software packages in addition to hardware only solutions (work flows, document imaging, etc) . The customer should ask about any ROI on any "package" to make sure they are not being sold down the river. Any comparison shopping should be done apples to apples (similar segment equipment that is similarly optioned) and not just on a bottom line number.

Finally, the customer should ask for references of similarly sized companies to find out their experience with the companies.

djandl
05-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Cobiray, thank you for the input. I will see where I can fit this information in and see about editing my document. All information was good.

The demos I was speaking of, were more of functionality for a limited period of time. Many times, a demonstration of the product can be used, and the company that supplies the copier (not the vendor) will pick up the tab. I understand the underlying concern about free print for that amount of time, but there is a cost of doing business, especially if the customer is large enough and has a local or global presence.

Business solutions often lead to changes on the vendor side, and working with the vendor can make that possible. Selling a solution and not the hardware is a definite option. Especially if it helps the customer, the vendor wins by selling some solution(s), and both sides have a win win. It is about proving yourself as a vendor, not just peddling the ware, especially in a value recognizing customer. Some company that wants to work with you and grow with your vendor company. Partners, not quick sells. An up front approach to solutions sell must be done, it is unethical to not do this and limits your long term customers for life relationship.

Apples to apples is important too. Making sure that the customer compares a HW or SW solution to the competitor is best, but sometimes a competitor does not offer a solution for print, copy, scan that another might, so sometimes the scope is limited in how to compare. Sometimes it is MacIntosh vs Red Delicious, right? :-)

References from other customers of similar size and verticals are definitely important. Customers want to know what their competitors are doing, so they don't fall behind in cutting costs to ensure more R&D or expanding the global presence. All these tie into references.

The month to month process of leasing is, indeed, great for these start up companies.

SCREWTAPE
05-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Very informative info!

Custom Search