PDA

View Full Version : SMB Scanning on B253

Custom Search

Rudi
05-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi guys
We have done SMB scanning on various machines so far but we seem get stuck on the c253 is there a different way of creating the path or could it be different with 2003 server.We tried loading ftp on on the 2003 server but it wont accept it.
Regards
Rudi
p.s How does IIS work?

aleksander
05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
same way with other machine. But if you are using win 2003 server, the problem maybe with the smb service. if you want to use ftp, make sure to disable ftp sites in inetmgr.
IIS work when you activated the inetmgr. I use IIS for scan to webdav on bizhub C353. Work well.

Iommanxman
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Normally when scanning and your having issues it is normally to do with Security. Check that the user that you are using for authentication has access to the share that you have created on the server. You can check this by logging on to a workstation as that user, and trying the path that you scan to and creating a document in that directory. This will tell you if that user has access. If you can do that succesfully then I would double check the path setting on the machine.

pepper38_cnd
05-21-2010, 12:24 PM
If you want to use FTP use the FTP Service that is built into 2003 Server ( This should be configured by the Administrator), if you want to use SMB make sure you enter the server ip address in the WINS setting on the copier even if the server is not running WINS.

TheOwl
05-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Two questions before I go any further and that is:

1. Is the machine using an account within Active Directory?
2. Is the DNS domain the correct domain for the internal network?

If you are using an AD account, then you must make sure that the following setting is enabled:

Utility - Admin Settings - Network Settings - SMB Settings - Client Settings and change the NTLM version to v1/v2.

For those that don't know, the machines are factory set to NTLM v1 which means that the machines will only be able to authenticate with Local Users and Groups. NTLM v2 is the new standard which allows domain authentication using Active Directory.

fishleg
05-24-2010, 07:58 AM
These driving me nuts sometimes its not very clear in the manuals when it comes to putting these inside domain/active directory environments.

Do you need to add the copier to the domain first i.e. tell the photocopier right you are on domainx ?

Would you simply just type a username and password for the computer or would you need to say the domain i.e. user@domain or domain\user ?

Cheers,
Fishy

TheOwl
05-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Once the machine has picked up all the domain info, then you just type in the username and password as normal. No requirements to fully qualify the user.

Rudi
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks alot guys
I was asking this question on behalf our I.T tech he was trianed in a different enviroment so your feedback will be like tying loose ends for him i a however taking all this info in as training and wont forget it .I am yet to let him register on copytechnet so that he can ask his and give his own share.
Again thank you.
Regards

fishleg
05-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Once the machine has picked up all the domain info, then you just type in the username and password as normal. No requirements to fully qualify the user.

Thanks that actually makes sense :). One more thing though say if you had a computer that was a member of the domain and you could'nt get it to work because of security policy etc on the server and they where not able or allow you to alter it could you go around it and use a local user account i.e. machinename\user ?

The thing that confused me in the past is if you have a user that is part of the domain can you just create a local admin account on each computer for scanning or once you are part of that domain local users can no longer get smb access.

Thanks again,
Fishy

TheOwl
05-25-2010, 02:48 AM
From memory, if the machine has all the correct domain information, then you won't be able to use local users and groups on a local PC as the machine thinks it should be handling an NTLM v2 (Active Directory) authentication.

You can create a a share on a local computer and allow the domain user for the copier access and security privilages.

Custom Search