PDA

View Full Version : Which Production Copier to get for print shop...C550 vs CPP650 vs C6500???

Custom Search

keystonenew
06-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Our C500 w/ 2 million clicks took a dive & our C650 w/ minimal clicks isn't cutting it & is too expensive to run for our print shop. So, we have a chance to get an almost new C550 w/ external Fiery & booklet maker & am also looking at a CPP650 for the same price. The C6500 is more money, so what's the best bang for our buck. We do a lot of digital full color printing & we're not on a service contract, so consumable prices are a factor. Thanks for giving us some pros & cons and any advice on what to buy for around $13K or less. Thanks in advance.

emujo
06-04-2010, 01:25 PM
The C650 "isn't cutting it" should answer your question. It's a great box with excellent color, but it not the correct choice for a print shop. I'm not familiar with the CPP650 so my recommendation is the C6500. My other piece of advice is to get a service contract on it....you are charging your customers for clicks so the profit generated will pay for the contract, plus, if you have CQ/jamming issues, the contract ensures that they will get corrected weather it needs a drum, or a control board. No contract and you're on the hook for $1000 + or you can let it sit and collect dust. Emujo

Albonline
06-04-2010, 03:57 PM
the c6500/6501 would be the best for your needs, but get a service contract from a konica dealer/branch. the 650/550 are not intended for pecision/production printing they are office workgroup printers!

sbillis
06-05-2010, 09:01 PM
The C650 "isn't cutting it" should answer your question. It's a great box with excellent color, but it not the correct choice for a print shop. I'm not familiar with the CPP650 so my recommendation is the C6500. My other piece of advice is to get a service contract on it....you are charging your customers for clicks so the profit generated will pay for the contract, plus, if you have CQ/jamming issues, the contract ensures that they will get corrected weather it needs a drum, or a control board. No contract and you're on the hook for $1000 + or you can let it sit and collect dust. Emujo

CPP650 with C6500 I think is the same printer. Check it out.
I also recommend C6500 or C5500 (wich is a slower and cheaper C5500) but with contract service.
C6500 is 65pages per minute and C5500 is 55pages per minute. All are the same, paper handling etc. Check for e version, smart version also mentioned

copydude
06-06-2010, 02:22 PM
I have made the mistake of purchasing a work group (sic office) color copier in the past and had almost done the same when the c500 came out.. I had one delivered with the expressed term that I would try it out.. by the end of the week I upgraded to the C5500 ... although the copier did great color and was dependable... It lacked color precision and paper handling deficiencies.. I HIGHLY recommend the C5500 or C6500... The differnce primarly being is the speed but the 6500 can use a Crieo interface and has more paper handling options... I love my C5500 and at first I had a contract on it... but have ran it a year know as my own tech.. Challenging to say the least.. But I haven't had a serious issue.. they are strong well made machines that perform with excellence.. and the color is magnificent.. even on cast cote self adhesive stock.

One trick I discovered.... when running glossy stocks.. regardless of it's true weight.. run it as 210gsm and up to slow it down.. the sheen is almost as if it was uv coated.. at faster speeds it is much duller.. the only issue I found that stumped my techs was a duplexing problem with lighter stock (20lb)
after two years of ownership I finally solved it.. at the very end o f the duplexer. there are two rollers aprox 3 inches each.. they were dragging.. after removing the duplex assembly (a task itself) I found that the metal shield and been slightly pinched and was causign the rollers to drag.. I thought as much wen I had it on the machine but wasn't sure it was the shield or the bushings after removing teh sheild I slightly raised teh outer tabs where the screws hold it together. and the solved teh problme.. after reassembling.. I ran 5000 sheets 20lb duplexed without a single jam

sbillis
06-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I

.. the only issue I found that stumped my techs was a duplexing problem with lighter stock (20lb)
after two years of ownership I finally solved it.. at the very end o f the duplexer. there are two rollers aprox 3 inches each.. they were dragging.. after removing the duplex assembly (a task itself) I found that the metal shield and been slightly pinched and was causign the rollers to drag.. I thought as much wen I had it on the machine but wasn't sure it was the shield or the bushings after removing teh sheild I slightly raised teh outer tabs where the screws hold it together. and the solved teh problme.. after reassembling.. I ran 5000 sheets 20lb duplexed without a single jam

can you be more specific on that please?
can you post any photo to see where is the point you mention. photo even from service manual is good.

thanks

Custom Search