Scan to Gmail

Has anyone setup SMTP scan to email to a gmail account

I am looking for a outside public smtp server for testing i do
    not want to use a local server.
  • Cipher
    It's not easy being green
    1,000+ Posts
    • May 2006

I scan to my gmail account all the time, but I've never tried using google's own SMTP server as the relay.
    But if you can sucessfully connect and authenticate to the gmail smtp server with your details then it should work.

Gmail: How to use Gmail as your SMTP server - Lifehacker
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Comment

• toddanderson
      Trusted Tech
      100+ Posts
      • Dec 2005

thanks for your reply

I agree it should work , but i have not had success with it. I have looked
      at all the google help stuff and searched

Originally posted by DaZ
      I scan to my gmail account all the time, but I've never tried using google's own SMTP server as the relay.
      But if you can sucessfully connect and authenticate to the gmail smtp server with your details then it should work.

Gmail: How to use Gmail as your SMTP server - Lifehacker

Comment

• Tonerbomb
        AutoMajical Resolutionist
        Site Contributor
        2,500+ Posts
        • Feb 2005

I've tried to scan off outside Email servers many times with little success. It seems to ne hard to be difficult to get out of the environment yuour in and hit the outside server form relay or authentication. The relay off the internal server is no problem and you should be able to hit your gmail that way easily.
        Mystic Crystal Revelations

Comment

• dogsbody
          Trusted Tech
          250+ Posts
          • Jun 2007

have to have the option to use SSL and port 465, along with smtp.gmail.com etc. Can give some screen shots of KonicaMinolta setups if needed.
          The force will be with you always.

Comment

• Chronus102

i'm not sure how many time you all have used the scan to email portion of the scanner, but it seems from what i have been reading is that most scan via FTP, and SMB. Just from past experience one common thing that people forget about is the DNS servers when configuring the scan to email feature. so basically just a run down for any scan to email you need IP address, Subnet Mask, Default gateway, at least 1 DNS server, SMTP outgoing server (and whatever that is entailed with setting up), and of course some sort of outgoing email address for the coordinated e-mail server.

Comment

• toddanderson
              Trusted Tech
              100+ Posts
              • Dec 2005

Yes please send the screen shots

Yes if you could send the print screens that would be very helpful
              I have worked on this for some time and getting no where with gmail

Thank you
              Email: toddanderson8@hotmail.com

Originally posted by dogsbody
              have to have the option to use SSL and port 465, along with smtp.gmail.com etc. Can give some screen shots of KonicaMinolta setups if needed.

Comment

• Scott_Lewis
                Senior Tech
                500+ Posts
                • Mar 2007

And, don't forget about server authentication. There are quite a few different methods with only a few being popular. Most of the time the administrator doesn't know what kind or if authentication is required. Looks to me like all of the windoze email programs just figure it out automatically if the user says it is needed.

Chronus102 covered everything else I could think of.

Comment

• dogsbody
                  Trusted Tech
                  250+ Posts
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by toddanderson
                  Yes if you could send the print screens that would be very helpful
                  I have worked on this for some time and getting no where with gmail

Thank you
                  Email: toddanderson8@hotmail.com
                  Here is how I setup our C250 at work.
                  Attached Files
                  The force will be with you always.

Comment

• radar65

I agree with Scott_Lewis and Chronus102, many times DNS and server authentication are over looked or just missing that tiny bit of info which will let it pass. As long as you get the Gmail settings right the rest is taken care of by DNS.

Comment

• unisys12
                      Trusted Tech
                      250+ Posts
                      • Jul 2007

I agree with the authentication... After this is obtained, most all the Savins/Ricohs will scan to any e-mail. We have a bunch of little 816's scanning to MSN e-mail accounts. The trouble we had, setting up the account, was finding out the customers e-mail settings for their default ISP. That was because they didn't use them for e-mail communication. Go Figure!!
                      sigpic
                      The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Comment

• fausto1981
                        IT Technician
                        100+ Posts
                        • Dec 2007

No, i have had the same problem with GMAIL, even when having all he correct DNS settings (even using a public DNS 4.2.2.2) or using the IP address of their SMTP server. or using authentication and port 465 i coulnd't get it to work on a Ricoh machine.

The only one thing that i haven't tried it using SSL when using their SMTP.

I will give that a try on monday and see if it works..

Wish me luck

Comment

• Parlett316
                          Technician
                          • Nov 2007

I have a customer which switched to Gmail for Business but they have a Savin C2525 so of course no SSL.

Tried Hotmail but also requires SSL. Anyone know of any free email to use so they can emai from the machine?

Edit: Whoa, tried gawab.com and i'm sending from my Savin C3030 in my demo room. Nice!
                          Last edited by Parlett316; 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• fausto1981
                            IT Technician
                            100+ Posts
                            • Dec 2007

Well I don't know if you have the same problem that i am having with Verizon. but if you don't have Verizon you could use the customers Internet Service Provider SMTP. and set it up that way.

Comment

• Parlett316
                              Technician
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by fausto1981
                              Well I don't know if you have the same problem that i am having with Verizon. but if you don't have Verizon you could use the customers Internet Service Provider SMTP. and set it up that way.
                              I wish I could have but they are using Gmail for Business.

Comment

Working...