PDA

View Full Version : OKI 9800 Communication error

Custom Search

jmart77
06-14-2010, 04:23 PM
I have a customer that has a c9800 when you turn it on you get the message initializing please wait 5 minutes.
after around 4 minutes the message "communication error" appears on the screen.

Okidata says the efi HDD system software is corrupted. If its the efi system software does anybody know how to reformat this hard drive? Okidata's fix is to replace the hard drive with one preloaded with os, thats expensive and drastic, does anyone have an answer.

***I read somewhere if you put the toner in with the machine on, it would cause this problem***

Eric1968
06-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Just replace the HDD. I know it's a lot of money, but this is the only way to fix it. The machine doesn't complete its' boot process. Adding toner can always be done with the power on, so this has nothing to do with it.

jmart77
06-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks, We're backordered in the U.S. got any other suggestions?

Eric1968
06-14-2010, 10:10 PM
You can instruct your customer to use the Shutdown/Restart button when powering off. If you use the main switch when the machine is communicating with the HDD, the HDD can crash or data can get corrupted.

jmart77
08-13-2010, 10:53 PM
You can instruct your customer to use the Shutdown/Restart button when powering off. If you use the main switch when the machine is communicating with the HDD, the HDD can crash or data can get corrupted.

Thanks Eric 1968, the new HDD worked and alls right with the world.

dreamworksdesigns
12-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks Eric 1968, the new HDD worked and alls right with the world.

hello,

i was wondering if you had a copy of the efi software? i recently experienced the same issue and was advised by someone at oki to check the disc drive and if it was working to reformat it. The problem is that the issue still continues and after readin the above post realised that this may now be the issue. Can you please help! I'm at the point of tearing my hair out with this thing! all oki wants is money!

Eric1968
12-05-2012, 08:13 PM
hello,

i was wondering if you had a copy of the efi software? i recently experienced the same issue and was advised by someone at oki to check the disc drive and if it was working to reformat it. The problem is that the issue still continues and after readin the above post realised that this may now be the issue. Can you please help! I'm at the point of tearing my hair out with this thing! all oki wants is money!

There is no "copy" of the EFI-software available. And if there is a copy it's way to large to send it to someone. If you format the HDD you'll erase the EFI-software and the machine will not boot. The only thing left to do is order a new HDD. A new HDD contains the EFI-software. Oki ships these HDD's with all patches so you don't need to path the software.

You can complain about Oki for wanting money for a HDD, but it contains the whole EFI-software. That's why they're expensive.

Also advise customers to use the Shutdown button when they want to switch the machine off. Switching the machine off with the main switch can cause the HDD to crash or the EFI-software can stop functioning. When customers use the main switch 10-15 times to switch the device off software can get corrupted and the machine will not boot anymore.

dreamworksdesigns
12-05-2012, 11:13 PM
There is no "copy" of the EFI-software available. And if there is a copy it's way to large to send it to someone. If you format the HDD you'll erase the EFI-software and the machine will not boot. The only thing left to do is order a new HDD. A new HDD contains the EFI-software. Oki ships these HDD's with all patches so you don't need to path the software.

You can complain about Oki for wanting money for a HDD, but it contains the whole EFI-software. That's why they're expensive.

Also advise customers to use the Shutdown button when they want to switch the machine off. Switching the machine off with the main switch can cause the HDD to crash or the EFI-software can stop functioning. When customers use the main switch 10-15 times to switch the device off software can get corrupted and the machine will not boot anymore.

Would you know if a brand new hdd for a c9300 would work?

Eric1968
12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Would you know if a brand new hdd for a c9300 would work?

No, that doesn't work. The C9300 has no EFI-software on the HDD. (By the way... the C9300 is a machine that belongs in a museum. ;)

Custom Search