PDA

View Full Version : Print Settings to Bizhub 360 User Box

Custom Search

Nick Hanning
06-16-2010, 10:54 PM
We have Bizhubs 360 in use as copiers and network printers. We want all users to print to a user box to avoid output interfering with copying and so set all their default Printing Preferences, Output Method to Save to User Box. So far so good . . .

We find that inexplicably the Printing Preferences changes back to Print. I have been unable to find any consistent cause for this. Sometimes users can merrily print for hours without problem whereas on other occasions it appears to revert after every print.

Has anyone else encountered (and preferably solved) this problem?

Is there any way to enforce user box saving instead of 'direct' printing?

Any help much appreciated

P.S. Off topic but while posting, is there is any way to turn off the annoying bleeping? It drives me mad!

Stirton.M
06-17-2010, 01:16 AM
User defaults are typically set at the driver within the printers folder. Bring up the printer properties for the driver you are dealing with, select preferences and set the default actions you want there, such as black and white printing, duplex, hole punch and so on. I recommend a full reboot after to save the state in case of a crash down the road.

Do not use a network shared resource for doing this, for example, server side shared to client. I recommend a pure client side driver. Though server side sharing does work well in many cases, I have found that it can be problematic for setting user level defaults and I steer my customers to using a local driver instead for situations like this.

You could also create a "favourite" in the driver that the user can simply just select and it should set the driver accordingly.

And the sound, on the control panel, button called "accessibility" will give you access to those settings.

Nick Hanning
06-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks so much for this. Understandably, the User Box setting does not carry forward from the server so applying defaults there never worked and we were already setting the local preference default and finding it was changing. You also cannot save the User Box setting as a favourite (again this is logical as one of the settings is the filename which would ordinarily be document specific).

The option of a client install as opposed to a network share was very intriguing and experimenting with one client is so far proving effective. It means reinstalling the printers on each client which will be a pain but a small price to pay in place of them all whining about the preferences not sticking.

And you have totlally saved my sanity with the bleeping, thank you!

Nick

emujo
06-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Making the changes (defaults) on the server side does work, the problem is knowing where to make the changes...Most will go into the preferances box and set color mode to B&W, print to user box etc...but these changes have no affect on users connecting to the shared resource. You must go into the advance tab/printing defaults dialog box. Any changes made in here will be copied to any user connecting to the network printer. All you've done when you change the defaults the 1st way is change the defaults of the server copy of the printer. All users will be able to make changes to the way they print (color, secure print), but when they close the app, the original defaults from the server copy will be re-applied. Emujo

Nick Hanning
06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
You are absloutely right emujo but even under the Advanced Tab, the User Box settings do not transfer to clients.

Duplex, colour etc. all apply but the Output Method does not. It seems likell that this by design as the UB settings are technically document specific so only a fool like me would be trying to impose them on all users :-)

emujo
06-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I am 100% ok with being corrected but I was pretty sure about this....
I have a C203 on my work station as a local printer. I shared it, went into advanced/printing defaults and defaulted to save in user box 1. I had one of my co workers connect to this shared printer and we looked at the defaults.....print to user box was her default setting. Any changes made under the advanced tab will be pushed as defaults to anyone who connects to it. Now I'm not sure if the changes will be made if the client has allready connected to the share and the admin makes later changes so this may be an issue. Thanks Nick... EMujo

Nick Hanning
06-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Hmm. Perhaps because you were sharing a locally installed printer it worked but I found that it was not pushing from a network printer . . .

For our purposes, the installation of the network printer as a local printer (to a TCP/IP port) has worked all day long for my test user so I have just finished doing this for all users. Hopefully will hold for them all tomorrow.

Nick

Stirton.M
06-17-2010, 11:19 PM
And you have totlally saved my sanity with the bleeping, thank you!

Nick

You are welcome. The beeping drives me nuts too. I don't mind it if there is an error or something, but when it beeps for every damn thing you do....it can force one to go postal...a form of torture not unlike waterboarding....

And there are some here who have had success with server side defaults transferring to the client side, but I have yet to experience that. What makes it worse is if the server is 64 bit but the client is 32 bit. And of course, there is the Mac side of the equation which I don't even want to get involved with if I can avoid it....I have such a hate on for the macs where print drivers are concerned....I'd rather eat ants.

TheOwl
06-21-2010, 12:07 AM
The default settings not pulling down for the server are usually to do with client privilages and Group Policy Objects being enforced that stop this from happening. You will find all the print driver settings in the registry and you can change the registry so that the driver is effected. Maybe this is part of the clue as to why your clients aren't receiving the Default Settings.

As for getting back to Stirton's idea, it is a pain installing one driver on multiple computers, but you can get some software that will snap shot a driver installed on a PC so it can then be deployed to other machines as a local printer rather than a network printer.

emujo
06-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Just thought I'd share this... After playing with the print driver to assist with the print to box issue on Fri, I forgot that I made those changes, andspent about a hour trying to figure out why I could no longer print to the MFP. Duhhhh!

Nick Hanning
06-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Gulp!

Sorry emujo . . . .

For the record, installing the printer locally to a TCP/IP port and setting printing preferences to those local printers, has worked an absolute treat.

Nick

knpgazem
06-24-2010, 01:44 AM
and P.S.

the file name is almost never a requirement as the copier will happily store multiple versions of the same file with the same file name. the copier distinguishes the files by the time and date the file was sent/uploaded to the user box.

and Owl, what software are you referring to, i would LOVE to have this, but alas, i have spent many an hour looking for something that performs this task - "automate it" is the closest, but has too many variables to be easy.

ta

Shaun Miller
01-16-2012, 04:49 PM
You are absloutely right emujo but even under the Advanced Tab, the User Box settings do not transfer to clients.

Duplex, colour etc. all apply but the Output Method does not. It seems likell that this by design as the UB settings are technically document specific so only a fool like me would be trying to impose them on all users :-)

Hi All,

1st post, been reading this thread to solve setting 'secure print' as output on Konica Minolta C280 (server 2008R2/7 clients) and had the same issue.

It won't apply no matter what you do however you can manually set the following registry key through your preferred method...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KONICA MINOLTA\%DRIVERNAME%\%SERVERNAME%\%COPIERSHARENAME %\OutputMethod]

We use group policy preferences so this was dead easy. It's a binary key. 00 = print, 03=secure print. It worked like a charm.

Hope this helps someone.

Shaun

knpgazem
01-16-2012, 07:55 PM
As a KM Supplier, we have access to an 'adjusted' driver that has the 'print to user box' as the only output method. I use this method in schools where students are printing (via a public PC) to the KM, but aren't collecting their prints. This way the User Box deletes any unprinted documents after 3 days instead of uncollected output piling up.

DocuSystems
11-30-2012, 02:02 PM
I create batch files to automate print driver installation to one click. A real time saver if you are doing many computers at an install, and several drivers per computer (say a PCL driver and a FAX driver)I also have a vbscript to automate port creation for anyone that is interested. ken@docusystems.bizTo install the printer device:rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "Name of printer" /f "Path to driver\Driver inf file.INF" /r "Name of port" /m "Device name as found in inf file" /zTo print a test page:rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /n "Name of printer" /k

DocuSystems
11-30-2012, 02:08 PM
My post was reformatted which didn't help readability of the commands. If anyone needs them, email me at: ken@docusystems.biz

Custom Search