PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating C6500, C6501. How?

Custom Search

sbillis
06-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Hello there,

I have made a sort search on the forum but I haven't find anything for how to Correct calibrating C6500 and C6501.

Lets get a C6500 with IC408.

Which steps is best to do before launching calibrator? (auto gamma, color registration, printer gamma)
What kind of paper we must use? The one the customer want to use the time of calibration or something generic? (if cmr uses mostly 300gsm CoatedMO we select 200-250gsm or 130-150gsm?)
What kind of screening is best to choose? (Line1 or Dot1?)
Simulation profile must be selected or not?

Let's get started with these issues first so that we can see what procedures do we follow everyone and what is the best one.

Thanks

Herrmann
06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
[Solution]
For color matching between main body and controller, calibration must be performed periodically. For the customer who is sever to color, it is recommended to perform calibration every morning at the starting up of the machine or just before starting every printing job. Following explains how to perform calibration for each controller.
Before performing controller calibration, perform following adjustment of the main body.
1) [Auto gamma adjustment]
・ Service mode => [02 Process Adjustment] => [02 Drum Peculiarity Adj.] => [03 Auto gamma adjustment]
・ [Adjustment] => [03 Execute Adjust Operation] => [Automatic Gamma Adj.]
The adjustment operation is the same between the above 2 procedure.
2) [Color registration adjustment]
・ Service mode => [01 Machine Adjustment] => [01 Printer Adjustment] => [10. Color Registration Adjustment]
・ [Adjustment] => [03 Execute Adjust Operation] => [Color Registration Adj.]
The accuracy is higher with the service mode.
3) [Gamma offset Adjustment]
・ Service mode => [01 Machine Adjustment] => [03 Quality Adjustment] => [01 Printer Gamma Offset Adj.]
・ Utility/Counter => [03 Machine Admin. Setting] => [01System Setting] => [05 Expert Adjustment] => [05 Expert Adjustment] => => [07 Quality Adjustment] => [01 Printer Gamma Offset Adj.]

after that, fire up the command workstation and perform a calibration with the es1000

BTW: calibration is the task of the customer, we charge for calibration ;)

Stirton.M
06-17-2010, 11:57 PM
What kind of paper we must use? The one the customer want to use the time of calibration or something generic? (if cmr uses mostly 300gsm CoatedMO we select 200-250gsm or 130-150gsm?)

I always use 24-28lb bond. Using coated stock can throw off the calibration, and using heavy stock will simply be a waste. Once the calibration is completed, the end user can make use of the input/output profiles in advanced colour management to adjust to various stocks.

What kind of screening is best to choose? (Line1 or Dot1?)
I just use default (I think is line1). I have never had any need to choose either.

Simulation profile must be selected or not?
This last part has to do with printing using a profile and is independent of the calibration process.

Attached is a user manual related to colour adjustments (including calibrating) that will explain in detail the use of the different input/output profile settings available in advanced colour through the driver and the copier.

You should be able to find additional manuals, including this one, from the web interface of the fiery. Type the IP address of the fiery and you should see in there (I do recall specifics) one tab that will allow you to download drivers and user software, as well as manuals.

As a side note, ensure the Fiery DNS is properly set, else the end user's print driver will not be able to take advantage of the profiles created on the fiery because the driver will not be able to communicate properly to access those options. They can still be accessed in CWS, but the convenience at the driver is nice to have.

And as for which format to calibrate, I like to use 32 Random. Others like to use sorted. Using 32 colours will yield a more accurate result either way.

Calibrating using ColourCal off the machine scanner is not always reliable and requires a scanner calibration to be performed before to ensure reasonable accuracy, but when compared to the ES1000, ColourCal sucks donkey balls.

random
06-18-2010, 12:49 PM
You don't need to do anything prior to a calibration assuming the machine is well maintained. When you start to calibrate the engine will automatically do an auto gama. You have the choice of calibrating each stock or one stock and apply it to all calibration sets. I have never seen anyone calibrate for different paper types. Generally my customers will print on a reference paper and tick "Apply to all sets" in the calibrator tool screen. Don't calibrate from the touch screen on the machine, as you don't know what it is applying the calibration to, always use CWS and the calibration tool.

Which screen to use? Well, you need to do a bit of testing for this. Usually DOT1 is the preferred screen as it is a bit more offset like but is not very good for large areas of flat colour for example a page that is just a halftone. Line screen is much better at this. DOT2 TYPE2 is better still but maybe a bit coarse for some people. The default screen is DOT1, it's important you don't get in the position where you decide which screen your going to use, rather leave your options open and if you don't like one screen then be flexible and use a different one.

sbillis
06-18-2010, 01:35 PM
.... Generally my customers will print on a reference paper and tick "Apply to all sets" in the calibrator tool screen... .

can you be more specific about reference paper?

i.e. he is printing mostly on 300gsm and he gets a same quality but lighter (maybe 130gsm) paper or gets a specifc reference paper to do the calibration?

what your cmr mostly prints?
what type is the reference paper you mention?

random
06-19-2010, 05:56 AM
The reference paper is the paper they use most often in the machine. If they use lots of different stocks then they will go for a good quality 100gsm laser stock. Once again if they are really critical about colour they should calibrate to each stock. My customers do all sorts, some are offset printers, copy shops, real estate agencys. All of whom are happy with just calibrating to one stock. If they complain that spot colours don't match then I get them to calibrate to the stock or adjust the spot within the rip to match what they are after.

mr.propper
06-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Hello,

i think the follow adjustments isn't necessary for printing.

01 Printer Gamma Offset Adj.
02 Printer Gamma Offset Auto Adj.

Conduct this adjustment when the color reproduction varies with copy modes to adjust the gradation and the
background density in a high light area.

Why should to perform this adjustment?
What is the benefit?

greets
Mr.Propper

sbillis
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
hi,

really, what the

01 Printer Gamma Offset Adj.
02 Printer Gamma Offset Auto Adj.

does to the engine? what it changes?
and if it is a C6500P ?

I think Printer Gamma must be adjusted before.

random
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
NEVER run the Printer Gamma Offset Auto Adj. The printer gamma Offset Adj adjust the midtone balance of the machine and can effect the quality of gradations. If this is not performed then you will see a colour bias in halftones and light areas

mr.propper
06-22-2010, 09:26 PM
This ist only important for copymode.
The Fiery- calibration with ES1000 equalizes this effect.

Can i the Servicemanual to believe?

random
06-23-2010, 01:50 AM
The first is just as important in printing as copy mode. On the c500 this setting was only for copy mode. This now effects printing also.

sbillis
06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
NEVER run the Printer Gamma Offset Auto Adj. The printer gamma Offset Adj adjust the midtone balance of the machine and can effect the quality of gradations. If this is not performed then you will see a colour bias in halftones and light areas

I believe the right procedure is:

Auto Gamma
Printer Gamma Sensor Adj.
Auto Gamma
Printer Gamma Offset Adj.
Auto Gamma
Calibration

but I have questions about the paper must be used in all this procedure.
Must be plain or high quality (A4) and a reference paper (A3-SA3) for calibration (130-170gsm max) or we can use anything stock that customer haves?

Custom Search