PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Check for invisible laser emissions?

Custom Search

mrwho
07-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Anyone knows of any way of checking if a laser unit is emiting (short of looking directly at it and see if I go blind or not), to troubleshoot white printouts?

Cheers!

mrwho
07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Solved!

Followed these instructions here (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Webcam-Into-an-Infrared-Camera) on a old webcam (luckily I had a couple just like the one pictured) and it works a charm!

mike*
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
so with the old web cam it would pick up on the laser since it was in infrared mode?

mrwho
07-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Either you have a camera that can pickup infrared (some camcorders can when in nightvision) or you can modify a webcam using the method above (which is what I did).

Eric1968
07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
If the laser isn't emitting, you would instantly get a Service Call.

Morlock49
07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't know if it will work with laser, but I use the camera on my mobile phone to check Document size sensors are working in the scanner unit. apparently the camara can "See" a wider range of the light spectrum, so maybe it can see into the infra-red.

Dave10
07-23-2010, 08:46 PM
For a relatively low cost, you can obtain a small card with a reflective surface on it that you can hold in front of an infrared laser and if it is working, it will show a spot on the surface. If you need it often enough, it's worth the investment. It's fun, too.

mrwho
07-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Well, that has an advantage of not needing the laptop. But since I carry mine to all the customers, the camera I used cost me 10€ - or about $13 at current rates.

mrwho
07-24-2010, 12:34 AM
If the laser isn't emitting, you would instantly get a Service Call.

But I found out that the laser is emitting but it isn't drawing the printout on the drum (I posted a video here (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ricoh-savin-gestetner/35925-sp1000-blank-copies-after-new-toner-2.html#post151968)).

blackcat4866
07-24-2010, 01:36 AM
I don't know if it will work with laser, but I use the camera on my mobile phone to check Document size sensors are working in the scanner unit. apparently the camara can "See" a wider range of the light spectrum, so maybe it can see into the infra-red.

I've heard about this from one of my Kyocera class instructors. My phone doesn't have a camera, but he demonstrated with several cameras in he class. It definitely works. =^..^=

mrwho
07-24-2010, 01:40 AM
I tried with two phones and neither could catch the laser beam. But I'll try it with the original sensors when I return from vacation. With normal paper passage sensors, sometimes you can see a faint red light with your naked eyes, so I assume the original sensors are similar, and maybe the phone cameras can see them better.

Custom Search