PDA

View Full Version : Greetings/Question on Training.

Custom Search

SimplyMAS
07-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Hello all...

I've been lurking for a while and finally joined, if only to say this quick hello and give some props for all the obvious tech savvy.

I'm not actually a tech, just a long time key-op/FM with an increasing technical bent. So hopefully my presence isn't out of line...........

At any rate, a tech mentioned to me recently that a lot of FMs go on to be techs, and that in combination with a lot of other realities has me thinking seriously about joining that side of the business. My question is: how does a lowly key-op like myself go about such things? Do service companies do their own in-house training for newbies or is there a degree/certification I should look into before I even ask? Would ITT/Devry type stuff help me or just be a waste of time/money?

Any guidence would be greatly appreciated; I've always had a lot of respect for Techs and it looks like I've hit my celing in production, so I'd love to look into joining The Other Side.

Thanks/be well,

~MAS

JustManuals
07-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Welcome aboard.

fixthecopier
07-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Of course the ITT stuff helps. Dealers will send you to be certified on the models they sell. Having some common sense when it comes to tech stuff is a must. If you can understand how something is supposed to work and use that info to figure out why it does not, you can be a tech. Also being able to deal with dumb asses and idiots is a must.

JustManuals
07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
The problem with common sense is that it's not all that common.

RRodgers
07-08-2010, 02:01 AM
The problem with common sense is that it's not all that common.
YEP!

Yeah, if you can change your own oil/battery/brakes/alternator in your car you can probably fix a copier. Our jobs for the most part is easy. But there are somethings that will throw ya off, or a question that might throw ya off. In that case, do a little research and get back to them.

blackcat4866
07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Of course the ITT stuff helps. Dealers will send you to be certified on the models they sell. Having some common sense when it comes to tech stuff is a must. If you can understand how something is supposed to work and use that info to figure out why it does not, you can be a tech. Also being able to deal with dumb asses and idiots is a must.

I can't improve on that. =^..^=

Aneurysm
07-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Welcome

Doughboy
07-21-2010, 01:30 AM
You would be surprised at how many techs cant operate many functions on a machine. If you're serious i would join a dealer as they offer a larger range of equipment to work on and will send you to the manufacturer for training (better pay, Shhhh). All copiers are basically the same but have different layouts internally and some weird quirks.

I think as a key op you would be well suited to the job as long as you know what a toner monkey is:D

Custom Search