PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Copier Prints Pdf files in color even when all defaults are set to B&W

Custom Search

Timoteo82
07-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Has anyone ever heard of this happening? My customer is upset because when they print PDF files it shows the setting set to default B&W printing or grayscale and when they hit print it comes out in color.

Is this something that adobe or PDF files will override the settings of the copier completely and print how it wants?

Any advice would be great. I ran the test on my same machine here printed a pdf file from my computer and it came out B&W/Grayscale.

Anyone have any advice?

Stirton.M
07-15-2010, 12:38 AM
you made no mention of what copier this is. That is important. Also, ensure the firmware of the copier is up to date, and with some models, the driver must match the firmware level. This is more important on the C350/C352/450 series models than any of the tuxedo models currently out.

The driver might not even be the correct driver for the machine they are using.

And of course, my favourite stupid customer moment is that the customer has the control panel set to grey scale (for copying) but expects that will affect all prints too.

Timoteo82
07-15-2010, 01:00 AM
My bad it is a Konica Bizhub c550. It's set to print and copy in B&W. Their other files all print in B&W no problem it's just when printing a PDF file.

It's really weird. I tested my machine here no problems at all. Considering it's a pretty up-to-date machine. There were no support notes on anything like this.

KenB
07-15-2010, 01:40 AM
My bad it is a Konica Bizhub c550. It's set to print and copy in B&W. Their other files all print in B&W no problem it's just when printing a PDF file.

It's really weird. I tested my machine here no problems at all. Considering it's a pretty up-to-date machine. There were no support notes on anything like this.

Which version of Acrobat or Reader is the customer using?

I've seen some really weird situations with very old versions. Acrobat could be using whatever the default install values are for the driver; and color drivers always have color as their default install setting.

emujo
07-15-2010, 01:23 PM
If you are using user authentication w/ public user, you may have "print w/o authentication" set to allow but I don't see how other file formats would not be affected..Are you printing from a driver loaded on a server and shared, or a local copy of the driver? BTW, Sirton makes a good point, copier defaults have no affect on printing defaults. Are the users choosing "grey scale" or leaving "Auto color" in the quality section of the driver. Also, if this is a shared network printer, you must make changes to any defaults under the advanced tab/printing defaults on the server copy. This is the only way to have your defaults pushed to the clients. Keep us posted. Emujo

Timoteo82
07-26-2010, 11:49 PM
They are using adober reader 9 currently. The problem is this... and this problem only occurs when printing a pdf, not when the print something in word or excel or anywhere else. This is printing not copying.

When they print a pdf it prints in color, they go to make sure the setting is set to B&W/grayscale and it is so they print and it comes out color. The drivers are installed on each workstation not at the server.

I really don't know a fix for this. I do the same thing here on the same machine, same setup everything and it prints B&W/Grayscale

OMD-227
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Try selecting 'Print as image' from the Advanced button in the print dialog box (its in the bottom left corner). I've had a lot of weird color issues with our Sharp MX machines solved straight away just bu clicking that option.

HORSE
07-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Try importing the file directly into CWS and see if it makes a difference.

Timoteo82
07-27-2010, 12:31 AM
cws?

HORSE
07-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Command work station. ... If using a fiery

Timoteo82
07-27-2010, 12:40 AM
no fiery

HORSE
07-27-2010, 12:48 AM
That rules that out then

OMD-227
07-27-2010, 01:09 AM
As this is only affecting PDF's, in my experience with exact same symptom, it was always to do with the 'Print as image' tick box within acrobat reader. It is especially required if the document was originally something else and converted to PDF. This is only needed from acrobat reader version 8.0 onwards. Previous versions were never affected.

Example, I had a client yesterday with a color quality problem on a new MX color machine. Output print was terrible in color quality compared with the design on the PC. All other pictures, documents, designs etc etc were great, only this PDF was going mental.
Tick box 'Print as image', tested same problem PDF perfectly. Their IT dept knew nothing about it. They were able to print the PDF ok on a HP CLJ, but their Sharp and another Canon color machine just couldnt handle it before the box was ticked within reader.

Mr Spock
07-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Check the driver for a tick box that says allow printer to choose color and uncheck. I have that on another driver and it only shows up when printing pdf files..

Stirton.M
07-27-2010, 05:37 AM
I would recommend at this point in time that you update the firmware to the machine. Just because the firmware is up-to-date you should reflash it anyways because there might be corruption to the software that is causing this issue.

You made no mention whether this machine was set to copy track or authentication modes. I am taking the assumption that neither is set.

The alternative is to replace a machine with a known good machine, like the one that you used to do your test, and see if the problem persists. If the problem does persist, then the problem is with the customers computers.

the only thing I can think of at this point that would continue to cause this problem is the wrong driver being used at the computer for the copier. I would recommend that you reinstall the driver deliberately yourself so you know that it has been done correctly using the correct driver and try that again.

Also is there something unique to this particular situation, such as are they using Adobe Acrobat standard or are they using Adobe reader?

Timoteo82
08-10-2010, 05:17 AM
As this is only affecting PDF's, in my experience with exact same symptom, it was always to do with the 'Print as image' tick box within acrobat reader. It is especially required if the document was originally something else and converted to PDF. This is only needed from acrobat reader version 8.0 onwards. Previous versions were never affected.

Example, I had a client yesterday with a color quality problem on a new MX color machine. Output print was terrible in color quality compared with the design on the PC. All other pictures, documents, designs etc etc were great, only this PDF was going mental.
Tick box 'Print as image', tested same problem PDF perfectly. Their IT dept knew nothing about it. They were able to print the PDF ok on a HP CLJ, but their Sharp and another Canon color machine just couldnt handle it before the box was ticked within reader.

This worked! Thank you.

OMD-227
08-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Nice work brother!

Timoteo82
08-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Thank you!

Custom Search