PDA

View Full Version : Minolta 3102 Imaging Unit Question

Custom Search

captain1976
07-23-2010, 03:50 PM
I am familiar with the machine however I have 2 of them where one of the imaging units calls for replacement. It gave me plenty of notice and I let it go until it was used up. When I put in a new or used one I still get the need to replace message for that unit. Is there any other reset I have to do to this? I can't find it in the manual but it may be there. Please help if anyone knows.

Thanks

Stirton.M
07-24-2010, 08:19 AM
The image units all have a small IC mounted on a small circuit board. The IC contains a counter. When a new IU is inserted, the machine will know immediately by polling the IC on the IU. If you pull an IU from another machine, the count that the IU had on that machine will follow that IU to the second machine you put it into.

If the count is not correcting itself, there might be a problem with the MCB or the connection from that IU to the MCB might be at fault. Check all connectors related. Replace the MCB.

captain1976
07-24-2010, 10:28 PM
The image units all have a small IC mounted on a small circuit board. The IC contains a counter. When a new IU is inserted, the machine will know immediately by polling the IC on the IU. If you pull an IU from another machine, the count that the IU had on that machine will follow that IU to the second machine you put it into.

If the count is not correcting itself, there might be a problem with the MCB or the connection from that IU to the MCB might be at fault. Check all connectors related. Replace the MCB.

Thanks, I will try again tomorrow.

captain1976
07-25-2010, 01:14 PM

OK, This is a strange one as when I remove the imaging unit(s) from other machines and even this one, it says install imaging unit. The one that is giving me the problem is magenta and though it says to replace the unit, it also states "call technical rep". There is no trouble icon in the display so nothing tells me what the problem is. Any ideas?

fixthecopier
07-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Look close at where the I.U. plugs into the machine for trash and damage.

pepper38_cnd
07-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Put the new IU back in. When you close the front cover the machine will go into a longer than usual warming up cycle followed by stabilization. Then counter will reset towards the end of stabilization ( this can take up to 10 minutes although it usually is 3 to 4 minutes ). Note some machines will not reset if there is any other message on the display even "Close ADF" or "Original Left on Glass" will prevent reset from taking place on some machines.

captain1976
07-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Put the new IU back in. When you close the front cover the machine will go into a longer than usual warming up cycle followed by stabilization. Then counter will reset towards the end of stabilization ( this can take up to 10 minutes although it usually is 3 to 4 minutes ). Note some machines will not reset if there is any other message on the display even "Close ADF" or "Original Left on Glass" will prevent reset from taking place on some machines.

Hi, Thanks for the advise but I traced my original steps and here is what happened. I was doing a job and the magenta indicated "replace soon". During the copy process it stopped stating I needed to change the magenta imaging unit. This is where I tried a couple of used units with life left in them and even pulled one from another machine with only a few copies on it. The message remain the same as it say to replace the magenta and call for service. There is no service icon to press to get a code either.

Then I took the original magenta unit that was getting low and put it in another machine. It works but states to replace it soon.

Back to the trouble machine; I replaced the entire lower unit and both circuit boards from a parts machine. Same exact message. I'm beginning to think its in the upper half of the unit but there are no codes or anything else to help identify the problem. All connections and contacts are good.

Additionally, is there a way to swap the upper half of these units? I think they are serial number sensitive to that but not sure since I never tried it.

Thanks again for your input.

pepper38_cnd
07-26-2010, 12:12 AM
If I understand correctly you have never installed a " New IU "? Your first post said you tried a new and then a used IU. Your last post indicated that is not the case. You can fool around all you want with IU's that are old, or even have 1 copy on them! Once the replace IU message occurs the only solution is to install a new IU or at least a rechipped IU. The call for service is because it is looking for a new IU and you keep putting in used IU's. Call a Qualified Service Tech he will install a new IU and charge you for both his time and the IU. What a waist of every one on this forums time! Sorry I don't want to sound like I am trying to give you a hard time, but everyone who gave you advise was acting on your original post, which indicated you did the right thing and installed a "New IU" then you tell us well it was almost new. WTFIT?

captain1976
07-26-2010, 12:40 AM
If I understand correctly you have never installed a " New IU "? Your first post said you tried a new and then a used IU. Your last post indicated that is not the case. You can fool around all you want with IU's that are old, or even have 1 copy on them! Once the replace IU message occurs the only solution is to install a new IU or at least a rechipped IU. The call for service is because it is looking for a new IU and you keep putting in used IU's. Call a Qualified Service Tech he will install a new IU and charge you for both his time and the IU. What a waist of every one on this forums time! Sorry I don't want to sound like I am trying to give you a hard time, but everyone who gave you advise was acting on your original post, which indicated you did the right thing and installed a "New IU" then you tell us well it was almost new. WTFIT?

I considered a unit with less than 100 copies on it to be new. Having inter-changed many of these in the past I was never informed of the need for a brand new "never installed" unit "ONLY" if an IU goes to its limit. I didn't mean to waste your time but this is something the most techs (including myself) don't know and its has not been covered in the forums until now. I will re-chip it in the morning. Thank you, you have been most helpful.

Best Regards

Custom Search