PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta Bizhub 500 - Setting up a Secure print environment-

Custom Search

Timoteo82
08-10-2010, 05:13 AM
I have recently been asked by a few of my customers about setting up a secure print environment, where users can simply print to a machine, the machine stores the job and the user can then walk up to the machine when ready, enter in their user box number and retrieve the job. My questions is this:

I have a lot of Bizhub 500's out in the field still and customers have been asking to have this setup with this unit. I was reading and it has the user box functionality but I can't seem to get this to work properly, does anyone have a manual or direction that I can be pointed in to do this correctly. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance-

albasoul06
08-10-2010, 09:57 AM
bizhub 500 Multifunction Printer Systems from Konica Minolta (http://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/content/products/models/bizhub500.html?info=Features)

Products | Application Solutions - Security Systems (http://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/content/products/subcategories/as_security.html)

copytechman
08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
User boxes also req the optional hdd to work properly if iirc. Just a fyi (if ya didnt already know).

Regards!
A.

TheOwl
08-11-2010, 09:51 AM
You can also use a system known as 'ID & Print' where by all jobs are sent to the machine and then stored under the users username and password on the machine.

This is the system that I employ most as it is easy to setup and you can get the machine to look at your customers network and get the Active Directory credentials for use on the machine (means no manual input of usernames / passwords or user boxes with the same).

If you have multiple machines on the same network, then I would suggest one of two products:

1. Konica Minolta's PageScope Enterprise Suite with the My Print Module. This will enable follow me printing where by a client prints to any machine with in the network and then logs onto which ever machine they want to release the print job. The machine that they release the print job from doesn't have to be the machine that they printed to which means they can randomly walk past a machine and then decise to release their print jobs.

2. PaperCut-MF with the Konica Minolta Embedded licences. This works in a similar fashion as PSES but is made by a third party. Alot of schools in Australia currently use this product in the NG product which is just for printing, but the MF can embed into your copiers as well just like PSES does. The one main thing PaperCut has over PSES though is that it supports multiple different manufacturers, not just Konica Minolta.

Other things you can do with machines is add card readers which means that a user will not have to enter in a username and password, but simply swipe their card and the job will be released. Similar to the card readers is the biometric readers that work in the same fashion but scan your finger print instead of a card.

There are heaps of different ways to go about your situation, but you need to find what best suits your clients needs and budget.

fah1951
09-26-2012, 02:00 AM
You can also use a system known as 'ID & Print' where by all jobs are sent to the machine and then stored under the users username and password on the machine.

This is the system that I employ most as it is easy to setup and you can get the machine to look at your customers network and get the Active Directory credentials for use on the machine (means no manual input of usernames / passwords or user boxes with the same).

If you have multiple machines on the same network, then I would suggest one of two products:

1. Konica Minolta's PageScope Enterprise Suite with the My Print Module. This will enable follow me printing where by a client prints to any machine with in the network and then logs onto which ever machine they want to release the print job. The machine that they release the print job from doesn't have to be the machine that they printed to which means they can randomly walk past a machine and then decise to release their print jobs.

I work in a Defence environment. We have just recently obtained 14 KM C360 printers and I need to set up ID & Print using AD authentication. When I ordered the printers I included PSES but although funds were provided for the printers, they were not available for PSES. PSES is therefore not an option for me. Ditto for fingerprint readers and swipe cards.

I have been having some trouble getting the ID & Print feature to work and find the user "guides" less than helpful. :(

I have got to the stage where,using the KM C360 web interface, I can log in using AD authentication. I can also successfully scan to home so I know that the printer is authenticating me via AD.

However, if I send a print job to the printer, I get the login screen but as soon as I enter my AD details it displays the Copy Screen. Checking job history shows that the file was deleted due to error "No account set for Group Auth".

Local KM support people have not been very helpful.

Can you advise me about set up or point me to something that provides a "monkey see, monkey do" sort of set up guide?

Thanks

TheOwl
09-26-2012, 03:07 AM
Not saying that I know better, but DoD Australia have strict guidelines to follow in regards to the installation and use of MFD devices. I know this as I also service the DoD machines here in Tassie.

Before you can use ID & Print, it needs to be enabled by using the following:

1. Utility / Counter
2. Admin Settings
3. User Authentication / Account Track Settings
4. User Authentication Settings
5. Admin Settings (I think)
7. You should now see an option to enable ID & Print

After that, you will then need to tell the driver for the machines that ID & Print is enabled either by manually configuring the options in the driver, or getting the driver to talk to the machine via SNMP.

Gort
09-26-2012, 04:24 AM
I work in a Defence environment. We have just recently obtained 14 KM C360 printers and I need to set up ID & Print using AD authentication. When I ordered the printers I included PSES but although funds were provided for the printers, they were not available for PSES. PSES is therefore not an option for me. Ditto for fingerprint readers and swipe cards.

I have been having some trouble getting the ID & Print feature to work and find the user "guides" less than helpful. :(

I have got to the stage where,using the KM C360 web interface, I can log in using AD authentication. I can also successfully scan to home so I know that the printer is authenticating me via AD.

However, if I send a print job to the printer, I get the login screen but as soon as I enter my AD details it displays the Copy Screen. Checking job history shows that the file was deleted due to error "No account set for Group Auth".

Local KM support people have not been very helpful.

Can you advise me about set up or point me to something that provides a "monkey see, monkey do" sort of set up guide?

Thanks

If the C360 MFPs have "CAC" or "PIV" firmware installed you will need to use CAC print drivers. The standard print drivers found on the CD or downloaded from the KM drivers site will not work. You will have to use the secure "CAC/PIV" print drivers.
I do not know if you are in Australia (Adelaide), and the Aussie defense security are similar to the US Dept of Defense, If you are using a secure card to scan & print odds are you have "CAC" type firmware. If you are able to authenticate with a secure card to the AD server, that is most of the battle.

fah1951
09-26-2012, 04:49 AM
If the C360 MFPs have "CAC" or "PIV" firmware installed you will need to use CAC print drivers. The standard print drivers found on the CD or downloaded from the KM drivers site will not work. You will have to use the secure "CAC/PIV" print drivers.
I do not know if you are in Australia (Adelaide), and the Aussie defense security are similar to the US Dept of Defense, If you are using a secure card to scan & print odds are you have "CAC" type firmware. If you are able to authenticate with a secure card to the AD server, that is most of the battle.

In Adelaide South Autralia.

No secure cards in use. i asked for them and for the PSS software but they weren't provided. Currently I can log in via the printer's web interface authenticating to AD. I can also scan to my home directory but nothing is letting me print.

TheOwl
09-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Ah, just put two and two together.

You need to provide the AD credentials from within the driver as the machines don't support single sign on without the use of PSES with the My Print Manager module installed.

Mr Spock
09-27-2012, 01:11 AM
pull up the properties of the machine
goto last tab (options i think)
select the popup dialog box
exit and try to print.

Also check the AD server and verify the print settings on the users. This may be that the AD was not set up to track the usage to an account and that is the issue.

Gort
09-29-2012, 06:04 AM
You seem to be using "User Authentication" on the engine, there is a "Print Without Authentication" on/off setting in the Admin > User Authentication setting. Also, there are settings on the print driver.174091740817410

Custom Search