PDA

View Full Version : C280 transfer belt stripping finger flipped

Custom Search

mascan42
08-22-2010, 01:33 AM
I have a C280 that seems to have a continuing problem. I was there in May, and found the stripping finger on the end of the transfer belt had gotten turned around the other way. There was a large divot in the center of the belt where it had been pushed in. I replaced the belt, but this past week, less than 30k copies later, I went back and found the exact same problem. The customer says actually it started happening shortly after I was there in May, and they only called once it started causing jams.

I've spoken to my engineering people, and they can't think of anything that would cause this. Could it just be the customer roughing up the machine by slamming the side door? Any ideas?

mrwho
08-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Although I never dealt with a C280, the only time I've seen that on similar machines was when, after servicing the transfer belt, the tech forgot to place the stripper in the right position. Maybe the customer is running some over-the-specs paper (too heavy or some odd type of paper) that could be pressing the finger against the belt?

Yeah, a shot in the dark, I know...

Stirton.M
08-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I've seen this once.

I think it starts when a piece of paper gets stuck inside the belt area. I had to install two belt units, the one in which I initially went to look at the problem and while troubleshooting it, had a jam where another piece of paper tried to move out into the path with the test sheet I was printing. Thinking nothing of it other than the idea the paper had simply stuck to the belt and went for a ride inside, I replaced the belt unit because of the marked damage on the surface of the belt.

After replacing the belt, three sheets into it, I get a jam. Inspecting, I see a similar print to the first one seen earlier, this time it had physically flipped the finger back in, and like the first belt, a mark on the surface. I removed the unit to replace it again, this time inspecting the area where the belt sits and found a third sheet, again similar to the first two prints, it looked like all were from the same job where all this started.

How it first started is anyone's guess. I suspect that maybe the finger was flipped to begin with.

aesthetics1
08-23-2010, 06:30 PM
We have had this same problem on a brand new C280. About a month after delivering it to a small real estate office (that does mostly scanning, not a ton of copies, they're account tracked and have to pay for them,) the customer called about a mark on the copies. Looked like a staple moving around on each page. We went out to take a look, and the finger had flipped around and nicked the belt. We replaced the belt and sent it back, and it has been 3-4 months and we haven't heard anything back from them.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, we also jumped on the customer for mis-treating the machine initially, but after hearing about some similar issues, I doubt they did anything wrong to it. Possibly with the new side door design, something has changed.

Custom Search