PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C350 with Fiery Print Controller no SMTP Auth or SMB Scan

Custom Search

TheNickus
08-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey I have an old C350 with the Fiery print controller (X3E_3E92). The documentation I've read claims that this unit can scan to an SMB share and also do SMTP authentication on scan to Email but mine seems to be lacking that function.

Am I just looking at documentation on a newer print controller or were these features added in a firmware update?

Thanks in advance...

--- The Nickus!!!

aesthetics1
08-25-2010, 09:25 PM
I believe you are mistaken or maybe have stumbled upon some inaccurate documentation.

Products:
bizhub C350 Options:
None Specified Details Subject:
Scan to SMB availability.
Description:
Scan to SMB availability.
Solution:
Scan to SMB is not available.

Konica_jr
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
The on board controller can be used with FTP and email scan, doesn't know with the fiery X3e !

TheNickus
08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Looks like the most elegant solution for scanning directly to local shares is to just setup a local FTP server. My users are confounded by both the Fiery Web Scan interface and the idea of having to fetch their documents from an FTP site rather than a local share Thanks for double checking for me. Hopefully my next document solution will have both these features.

aesthetics1
08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
You can indeed set up a local FTP server that all of the users have access to. A lot of users complain about not having the files saved on their local PC. For this situation, KM has developed the FTP Utility. You can download this from the site if you are a KM Service Tech. You can install this on the local machine and set it up to scan directly to a folder on their machine instead of using something like IIS or another FTP solution.

Let me know if this sounds like something you would like to set up, or if you're already aware of this method.

Unfortunately you cannot change the default SMTP Port Number on that machine, however a nice little workaround is to use a small in-house mail server. A popular one that KM even recommends is argosoft. You can set this up on a local machine or server in the office, and set the PCs to receive mail from this server as well (I'm assuming the current mail server in place uses certain authentication methods, or a non-standard port. This is an alternative for those who MUST HAVE the e-mail scanning capabilities.)

Stirton.M
08-26-2010, 01:08 PM
The FTP utility can be downloaded here.... Konica Minolta Knowlegebase (http://207.194.48.151/intranet2/browse.php?sess=0&parent=2047&expand=1&order=name&sortname=ASC)

It is unfortunate that you chose a C350. Those boxes were pretty good in their day. But their big brothers, the C351 and C450 both knock this machine out of the ballpark in basic capabilities, including SMTP and SMB.

If you are considering a KM machine for the next "solution", I would recommend the C360 as an entry model. This is our latest series machine for office printing. A brochure and capabilities can be found here... Bizhub C360 Colour MFP Multifunction Printer Copier Scanner Fax product page from KONICA MINOLTA Canada (http://konicaminolta.ca/business/products/office/colour/bizhubC360/index.html)

The other models seen through that link, like the C652, is our fastest colour units for office printing. The DS models shown are dual scan models, capable of scanning both sides of the paper at once, greatly increasing throughput speed.

All have the ability to scan SMB, ftp, web print, print to fax, fax forward based on phone number, box can, scan to thumb drive (USB) and bluetooth printing to name a few connectivity features. Fiery controllers are also available, but not required unless you need colour accuracy or print server capability.

emujo
08-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I got into KM products after the release of the C350, but was told that the C350 internal controller could be used for the scan funtions as long as you ran a 2nd ethernet connection and only used the Fiery for printing. So you're going to assign 2 different IP addresses 1 for Fiery and 1 for internal controller. I was also told that the only thing you really lost was the desktop faxing when Fiery was installed. I understand the Fiery does not support scan via SMB and email. Emujo

Stirton.M
08-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I got into KM products after the release of the C350, but was told that the C350 internal controller could be used for the scan funtions as long as you ran a 2nd ethernet connection and only used the Fiery for printing. So you're going to assign 2 different IP addresses 1 for Fiery and 1 for internal controller. I was also told that the only thing you really lost was the desktop faxing when Fiery was installed. I understand the Fiery does not support scan via SMB and email. Emujo

The C350 had no fax capability, unless the POS Peerless *spit* controller was added. The C350 can run fine without either the Peerless *spit* or the Fiery controller, though the without either, the capabilities are greatly reduced. May as well have an HP if that was the case.

copytechman
08-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Lol! Thats funny (spit!) I actually have one chargeable peerless in field! (all my others what few I have left are standard controller, oh and 1 fiery).

A!

pepper38_cnd
08-27-2010, 02:16 AM
Looks like the most elegant solution for scanning directly to local shares is to just setup a local FTP server. My users are confounded by both the Fiery Web Scan interface and the idea of having to fetch their documents from an FTP site rather than a local share Thanks for double checking for me. Hopefully my next document solution will have both these features.

Using the FTP utility is in fact exactly like scan to PCSMB in the way it works, touch the one touch button, press start, and it shows up in the folder. The folder does not have to be shared although it can be. It is quick and easy to set up, and is not affected by Internet security programs and other things that tend to present problems when trying to set up scan to PCSMB. I'm not sure what you mean by fetching, I just know it works flawlessly, when set up properly and is in my opinion the easiest way to go.

Stirton.M
08-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Lol! Thats funny (spit!) I actually have one chargeable peerless in field! (all my others what few I have left are standard controller, oh and 1 fiery).

A!

I got that expression from watching a Canadian comedy called "Corner Gas". Whenever the main characters of the show mentioned the name of a nearby town, Wullerton, they spat in obvious contempt of that town. An ongoing gag.

RRodgers
08-27-2010, 03:09 AM
You can use Fiery Remote scan 5 to scan.

Chromatik
08-29-2010, 07:37 PM
ok, SMTP (MAIL), SMB, FTP has the advantage that makes the distribution of multipage documents much easier, with output formats such as jpg / tiff / pdf.

jma676
08-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Chroma???

jma676
09-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey I have an old C350 with the Fiery print controller (X3E_3E92). The documentation I've read claims that this unit can scan to an SMB share and also do SMTP authentication on scan to Email but mine seems to be lacking that function.

Am I just looking at documentation on a newer print controller or were these features added in a firmware update?

Thanks in advance...

--- The Nickus!!!

Ok, Thank you! and maybe you need post this thread here:

Connectivity (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connectivity/)

Custom Search