PDA

View Full Version : Stinky paper

Custom Search

Jimbo1
08-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Has anyone else ever encountered the problem where certain types of paper will produce a chemical odor after a long copy run?

We have a customer who has had that. Got them to switch paper. Now I have a call for that again which I am sure means they went out and bought the wrong paper again.
Just wondering if anyone figured anything else out for it?

blackcat4866
08-26-2010, 02:48 PM
I've noticed it too. Mostly coated papers. But there isn't anything to do about it, but to switch paper. I remember one batch of paper that had a mild discoloring, that did not show up until it was fused. It was a black and white copier, so it was apparent that the copier couldn't image a rose colored stain. And the stain was oriented cross-feed to the machine. I might still have a sample around...

Something about warming it in the fuser releases it's lovely smell. =^..^=

android790
08-26-2010, 02:53 PM
We had a customer place a call on the bad smell being made by the copier. It had the smell of bad body oder. It was years ago. The only fix is to change/ bring paper, and follow up a few days later to prove it. Then bill them again if they call for smell. If I remember the brand, I will get back.

Jimbo1
08-26-2010, 02:57 PM
They had Office Depot paper. It's gov type office and now I am hearing on of their employees has a reaction where their throat closes up.

It's a full moon.

:D

blackcat4866
08-26-2010, 03:01 PM
If only all their throats would close up...

Jimbo1
08-26-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm not gonna go there. They even invoked the word OZONE!

Like I said ...full moon.

jpcopy
08-26-2010, 04:11 PM
does the machine have coronas, we had anolog machines that had a drum cleaning corona end block that would melt down and make a terible smell. kind of a dead rat smell

android790
08-26-2010, 08:30 PM
I think the paper was called wilimet or something like that. Ran ok, but stunk. You have to fix a customer now. Never easy. Sorry, I have no firmware for you to use on them. Pity. It would make my job simpler

blackcat4866
08-27-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't remember a brand name, but my enduser called it "dirty sweat socks" smell. And I must confess that it was not their imagination, and it was not subtle. It smelled like the locker room after a high school football game. =^..^=

Jimbo1
08-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Well I went out and first made certain the machine filters were clean so there was good air flow. Then I put in two reams of our paper and got the customer to run a job. She ran 850 pages out of the two reams and gathered all the intersted parties into the room, upon which time they all remarked how mush better it smelled. The upshot is they will get other paper and I have convinced them to move the machine out of the room it is in which basically has a stagnant atmosphere. You can leave the room and immediately the temp and air quality is better. It was in the office kitchen.

Custom Search