PDA

View Full Version : KM Universal Driver...

Custom Search

rancho
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I have installed the KM Universal Driver on an XP system for printing to a bizHub C353. It actually looks more like an application than a driver. However, only the Administrator (i.e. the account that installed it) can actually print. I de-installed it (via add/remove programs) and tried setting it up like a "normal" Windows printer by establishing a Standard IP port and supply the driver (inf) file reference. It still loads the huge driver application and is only accessible via Administrator!
I cannot make every user a local Admin to their PC just to install a driver for this thing. Has anyone encountered this and come up with a solution?

Thanks

Konica_jr
09-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi,
did you have try the classical PCL or PS drivers ?

rancho
09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
I was not aware of "classical" drivers. I just downloaded what was available for the C353. Do you know of where I can get the "classic" drivers and what they are called (file name wise, that is)?

Thanks

Konica_jr
09-15-2010, 07:49 PM
you will find it on the konicaminolta web page, just choose the PCL OU PS drivers instead of the universal printer driver,

look here:
Support & Drivers Search Page | Konica Minolta Business Solutions, U.S.A., Inc. (http://onyxftp.mykonicaminolta.com/download/Search.aspx?ht=)

regards,

rancho
09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I'll give it a shot.

Thank You!

BlueBlazer
09-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Ahhh the wonderful KM universal driver.

I will defend in saying that is getting better with every update, but still is somewhat cumbersome to use.

You are correct that you can only use the KM universal application in administrative mode, but what you can do is add printer icons that can be accessed by everyone for the specific printer.

To do that open the application by going to Print Properties on the 'KM Universal Driver' Selecting the printer you want to have adding the icon with the Create Printer Icon.

As crummy as the universal driver has been, the latest update on 9/13/10 is orders of magnitudes more stable then before.

Hansoon
09-15-2010, 10:00 PM
The Universal Driver is a clunky piece of crap.

Hans

Stirton.M
09-16-2010, 01:26 AM
I agree with Hans....it is a (&^*#^# piece of shit....should never have been released to the public. This file should have been solely technician only.

RRodgers
09-16-2010, 02:10 AM
I agree with Hans....it is a (&^*#^# piece of shit....should never have been released to the public. This file should have been solely technician only.

I can't stand the KMUD!!! Uggggg pisses me off! Makes installing drivers takwe twice as long.

Stirton.M
09-16-2010, 02:54 AM
I can't stand the KMUD!!! Uggggg pisses me off! Makes installing drivers takwe twice as long.

and then we are bombarded with endless questions regarding the function, or lack thereof. Makes me want to shove a pen in my temple.

BlueBlazer
09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
This file should have been solely technician only.

This I agree with.

Anyone ever use any of the 64-bit classic drivers on Win 7? You want to see clunky give those a shot.

They fixed ALOT of the functionality bugs with v1.3. You guys should give it a try before hating.

Stirton.M
09-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Why use a universal driver when I have all the known drivers for all the machines I will ever work with on a USB stick on my keychain?

The acronym K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) is fully applicable here.

jma676
09-17-2010, 01:07 AM
---------------------------------:p--------------------------------

Custom Search