PDA

View Full Version : 7025 + IP-421 = No love

Custom Search

faceplant
09-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi folks. I bought an IP-421 with HDD and NIC off e-bay to install in my Konica 7025. Having communications issues so I hope someone can confirm my suspicions. Here is the trouble and what I have done to trouble shoot it.
TROUBLE:
Can’t assign an IP to it or get DHCP, can’t connect to the web GUI, cant ping it, can’t telnet to it.
History/WHAT I HAVE DONE:
Took it out of the box and installed it. Powered the copier off and unplugged it first. It printed its config page showing it had an IP of 141.240.17.28 with Mask 255.255.254.0. I’m no stranger in this game. I load up my laptop with an IP 141.240.17.29 same Mask plug in my crossover direct to the IP-421 and attempt to get pingage, web GUI, telnet, anything. Absolutely nothing. Not sure how many hosts that crazy mask allows so I tried the IP address below it as well, 141.240.17.27. Still nothing. I called the seller and hes telling me something about not a pingable IP, have to install a port on Network1. I tried to explain I hadn’t even been able to give it an IP on my network yet but he told me I was over complicating it, just create a port on “network1”. How can I create a port to an invalid IP? Whatever dude.
Reading some articles here I found you can normally telnet and reset to factory defaults, seeing as I cant hit my IP-421 nic that isn’t an option for me. Someone also said running a static ARP will help, not sure how that will help but I gave that a try, “arp –s 10.0.0.151 my-ma-ca-dd-re-ss”. Nothing magic happened. I then found a nice tool called MAP. Installed that and ran it. It fails with, no network found. Finally found the users guide for the NIC, there is a jumper that can be used to reset the NIC to factory default. Woohoo! I’m saved. Not by a long shot. Went through the process, move jumper, power up for 5 minutes, power down, move jumper back. Well when it booted back up what do you think happened! It had an IP address of 10.0.0.151, 255.0.0.0 !!! Can you believe it! I’m saved! No, not by a long shot. Can not ping it, can not telnet to it, can not hit it with a browser, nothing. I read something else that said you have to be on a class C network. At this point ill try anything. Took my trust netgear router and reset it back to default, 192.168.0.0, 255.255.255.0. Router is running DHCP, like I said, default. Connect my Konica, my laptop and my router into a nice happy little network. Run the jumper trick on the IP-421 NIC and it STILL does not get DHCP. The MAP utility still says “no network printer found” It did however remove the 10.0.0.151 IP address, it now reads “Not Configured” on the config page that prints 4 minutes after booting. (super convenient, glad there is no manual way of printing this page – it would be to easy!)
This NIC is defective right? Help?

P.S. The indicator lights on the NIC show one solid green and the other dead as a doornail, no activity.

P.S.S Firmware v.5.5.5

faceplant
09-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Can no one out there comment? Is my experience unusual - should these IP421's get DHCP IP addresses? Realy need some input please.

pepper38_cnd
09-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Once the nic has been reset using the jumper you must assign an IP address using BOOTP it is a very simple process.

pepper38_cnd
09-19-2010, 04:38 PM
OH and as for the DHCP I don't think it really worked very well on those older Kn Cards but if you insist on trying to obtain a address via DHCP be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes if it does acquire an address it will reinitialize and spit out a new config sheet. But trust me the BOOTP method is the best just send the address to the MAC address of the KN Card using Bootp and then wait about 10 minutes until it spits out the config sheet and your all set.

faceplant
09-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Thank you so much for your input pepper38_cnd!!!!
I would prefer to assign a static. I was using DHCP only as a test, most NICs will get DHCP. Thank you for that information on this KN adapter and DHCP. Since reading your post I have looked into BOOTP and have found nothing about how to use it to assign an BOOTP address. All i know about BOOTP is it is an option that can be enabled on a Microsoft DHCP server.

So my plan is to install a Microsoft DHCP server into the site with BOOTP enabled, flip on the Konica 7025 and wait. Once it spits out the config page I will telnet to the the IP address and configure the IP as a static of my choosing. Does that sound feasible? Thanks again for your help!

pepper38_cnd
09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
I think you are on the wrong track download BOOTP Lite Here (http://myprintcontroler.bravehost.com/Bootpl32.exe) and then it is pretty straight forward start Bootp, click Admin, enter ip information you would like to assign to the KN Card and the Kn Card Mac address. Click GO, then wait until the config sheet is printed usually take about 10 minutes ( do not close program until config comes out ). If after waiting a substantial time a config sheet does not come out reboot ip manually.

mrwho
09-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Here, maybe this can help you:

To reconfigure the KN303, perform the following:
1. Reset the KN303 card to factory settings.
a. Power OFF the main body with (SW1) located on the rear left side.
b. Remove the IP421 from the main body.
c. Remove the KN303 from the IP421.
d. On the KN303, set jumper OP2 to pins 1 and 2 (left and middle) for factory initialization.
e. Reinstall the KN303 back into the IP421 and reinstall the IP421 into the main body.
f. Power ON the main body with SW1 and SW2 and leave it on for five minutes.
g. Repeat steps a through c.
h. Reset jumper OP2 to its original normal position (pins 2 and 3 middle and right).
i. Reinstall the KN303 back into the IP421 and reinstall the IP421 into the main body.
j. Power ON the main body with SW1 and SW2.
k. The KN303 card should now be initialized and an unconfigured status page should print out after the IP421 has fully initialized.
2. Configure the KN303 using ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) to match the TCP/IP CLASS of the workstation.
a. From a DOS prompt enter the ARP command is 'arp -s [Desired TCP/IP address of the card] [ethernet address of the card] [TCP/IP address of the host server]'. The ethernet address must be entered in pairs with a - between each pair (e.g. 00-40-92-00-a2-a0).
b. After the TCP/IP address has been set on the KN303, enter 'arp -a' to verify that the ARP entry has been entered in the ARP table.

Of course, as Pepper said, you can use the Bootp lite utility instead of the ARP command.

faceplant
09-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Thank you both so much for your input. I will download that software so i have a handy bootp service if I need one in the future.
MRWHO: I acctualy did use the static ARP -S command and was succesful in assigning the KN303 an IP of 10.0.0.151/255.0.0.0. The stange thing was I could not ping that IP address, telnet to it, or connect to it with a web browser. Is that normal? How can I configured the scanner destinations if I cant connect to it with a browser??

pepper38_cnd
09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
faceplant if you are working with an IP-421 the only method of scanning is scan to box ( the Ip must have a HDD installed ) and retrieve with ScanTrip there are no destinations to configure.

faceplant
09-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Hmm. I guess that is no big deal. It has a 2GB HDD. So I setup Boxes for people and they access thier scans via. this ScanTrip Application. Doesnt look like Konica has it available for download, any idea where i can get this software?

Also, ive seen mention of a twain driver for the Konica, any experience using Twain to aquire scans from it? Is it Possible?

Thanks again for your continued help, big kudos!

copytechman
09-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Not sure about twain but you can also use the box utility (sorta like scantrip, it polls & pulls files from your boxes @ predefined intervals into folders you can specify), its available @ the canadian website but I've forgotten what its called exactly. Its under pagescope utilities (may under either folder (newer/older))). It can run w/win startup too.

Regards
A.

faceplant
09-21-2010, 06:27 PM
That sounds workable, thank you very much for taking the time to share that! Is it called Scan Direct?

mrwho
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
If I remember correctly, the twain utility accesses the HD boxes.

faceplant
09-21-2010, 09:28 PM
I came up with bubkis. I tried the BootP tool, nice and straight forward tool. It will go into Not Responding shortly after adding in the IP info. So I added the Static ARP with the ARP -S command. I was able to give the copier an IP address of 192.168.0.151 but it took a class A mask? 255.0.0.0 that is a bit strange.
I am not real sure where to go from here. Still havent identified the Pagescope utility specificaly.

faceplant
09-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Ok mrwho. I used the ARP command to assign the IP address. But I have no control over what submet mask gets assigned or default gateway. So I now have a kopier with 192.168.0.151/255.0.0.0.
What now? Help!?

mrwho
09-21-2010, 11:59 PM
I never got that problem with the ARP command - maybe newer windows versions have that problem?

Have you tried assigning an IP address to your computer with that same subnet mask and try to access the IP via the web browser to see what happens?

copytechman
09-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Yup scan direct rings a bell! Give it a go!

Regards!
A.

faceplant
09-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Awesome, i have downloaded ScanDirect.

I sure have tried giving my laptop the same mask. No luck. I can not ping the copier interface or connect to the web gui on that address. I am starting to think there is something wrong with this IP421 or the NIC.

faceplant
09-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Oh, the syntax I used for the ARP command.
arp -S 192.168.0.151 my-ma-ca-dd-re-ss

Did i mess it up? I didnt add the mask as i dont think this command allows it anyway. The default mask for 192.168.0.0 is Class C mask 255.255.255.0, i have no idea why it didnt pick it up.

copytechman
09-22-2010, 01:48 AM
This machine has a touch screen correct? When you press the print/scan button on the control panel does the screen change?
If so is there a settings button on the touch screen when you switch to print mode? Please advise.

Regards!
A.

faceplant
09-22-2010, 02:49 AM
The machine does indeed have a touch screen with seperate Scan/Print, Fax, and copy buttons. I do get the scan/print menu and can get into a Settings area. Unfortunatly the settings area has nothing of value. I have 6 choices, number 6 is format the HDD.. cant remember what the other were.

copytechman
09-22-2010, 03:08 AM
Thats strange because settings (at least on a 7022/7130/7135 with an ip 422/423) is usually where you can program network settings (at least on an ip 422/423 it is) not so sure about an ip421 tho, I would have thought they were the same... what are the other choices? I assume you've throughly explored the settings menu(s) and submenus ?

Regards!
A.

E: Just did some checking, sorry to say it is indeed a different kind of ip for sure.. does not config like the 422 or 423.. Unfortunately I don't have any real experience on a 421 and don't think I'm the best to help out here however i'm sure others can help better than I can.

Best Regards!

pepper38_cnd
09-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Well we are certainly going around in circles here. Like I said once the KN card has been reset you can use BootP, if it already has an address for get it. The Ip421 is not like any other Ip.

copytechman
09-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Indeed, almost be simpler to get/use an ip011, it looks like it can be programmed via the control panel according to the docs I've seen, not sure bout scanning tho.

A!

faceplant
09-22-2010, 11:23 AM
PEPPER38_CND: I tried the BootP32 program you linked in your previous post. I some trouble with it. Setting the info is straight forward - there was a "verify" menu option that I still dont know what it does. But basical i set the IP info and accepted. The program would go into "Not Responding" and the copier would not pick up an IP address. Doesnt seem that dificult not sure why the program kept going un responsive on me on 2 different PCs

COPYTECHMAN: Will the IP011 allow scanning? I dont particulary care what controller I get, as long as it can scan and print.

mrwho
09-22-2010, 11:48 AM
I never worked with an IP011 with an embedded NIC card, but I really doubt it can scan - it is a very simple GDI printer and not much more.

Albonline
09-22-2010, 04:44 PM
If you used the konica map utility and it did not find the printer nic the nic is bad. map polls for product name/identifier. Hook a pc in a simple network ( crossover cable, pc, printer) run map utility, the ip nic should show up if not its dead. this is provideing that sombody has not put the jumpers in the wrong places.

faceplant
09-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Thank you for reading my post Albonline. At this point I would tend to agree. Thanks to all helpers on this thread, all your help has been invaluable. I will replace the part and give it another go.

KM7155
09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
try this solution, restart the machine, wait for about 5mins, the 7025 will automatically spit out the config page.
in the config page, u can locate the ip address currently used. get a laptop, put in the ip address as same range
with the ip address u get from the config page. get a cross-cable, plug into the network port at the 7025, then
u can comunicate with the machine,hence u can change the ip address as u wish.

faceplant
09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Oh if I could only tell you how many times i've tried that.. oh wait I can tell you. I've tried that SO many times! This thing is fried, its going back to the seller. Thanks for your input!

KM7155
09-23-2010, 12:33 PM
sorry to hear that, maybe the ip421 is faulty.

Albonline
09-23-2010, 02:15 PM
just noticed that you said the 421 had a 2 gig drive? credit card drive? those were known to cause trouble and were replaced with 1 gig cf cards. try removing the hdd.

mrwho
09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
just noticed that you said the 421 had a 2 gig drive? credit card drive? those were known to cause trouble and were replaced with 1 gig cf cards. try removing the hdd.

The machine usually throws an error code in that case, but what the heck, it's worth a try.

But if the machines prints okay from the paralel port, then the NIC is almost surely to blame.

About those jumpers, it'd be interesting to take a picture from a working NIC and compare it with this one and see if any jumper is misplaced. I'll check at my shop if there's any such NIC which I can use to take some pics with my cell phone.

techo
09-23-2010, 02:32 PM
on the konicaminolta web site in the printer driver section they have scanner software that can be downloaded just select the model and it will provide the software for that model there is a program called scan direct that works on the K7025/IP421

mrwho
12-02-2010, 12:16 PM
The machine usually throws an error code in that case, but what the heck, it's worth a try.

But if the machines prints okay from the paralel port, then the NIC is almost surely to blame.

About those jumpers, it'd be interesting to take a picture from a working NIC and compare it with this one and see if any jumper is misplaced. I'll check at my shop if there's any such NIC which I can use to take some pics with my cell phone.

Have you ever solved this? I have one such nic with me now, I'm going to take a snapshot of it with my cell phone just in case. If you need it, just reply.

faceplant
12-02-2010, 01:24 PM
My apologies for not replying back to this thread to share the results. As I thought, the NIC on the IP-421 was defective. I received a replacement that worked with no hassles. The source I got it from on e-bay was trying hard to help me but actually led me down the wrong path and extended my trouble-shooting pain. Oh well. Thanks to everyone in this thread who contributed to this resolution! Kudos!

Custom Search