PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh CL4000DN toner type 145 and 245 and chip questions

Custom Search

jsulliva
10-13-2010, 05:03 PM
I just got a Ricoh CL4000DN printer and have questions about toner and toner bottle chips.
I have seen references to toner type 145 and 245 but I have searched and can not find what is the difference between the two? Can someone help me, please?

It seems there are chips on the Toner bottles so even if I refill them, the printer does not want to use them.
Referencing the service manual - can I use the Section 5 - Engine Service Mode - Service Tables information to reset the information on the chips?
Have any of you done this?
Can you suggest which items need to be updated or reset?
Suggestions or comments?
Thanks,
John

jonhiker
10-13-2010, 06:53 PM
THe CL4000DN uses type SPC 400 toner. THe 145 refers to the PCU, Transfer Unit, and Waste toner bottle.
The chips cannot be reset via Engine Service Mode. The chip counts the number of times the toner supply clutch turns on & off. That, plus page count, determines the toner near end and end condition.
Here is the product support guide for that printer.

jsulliva
10-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Jon,
Thank you for the information.
About for the chips, I'm a computer software developer by trade, so I was speculating that the chips are nothing but a memory chip and the calculations about page and toner usage are actually done in the printer and then the chip memory is updated periodically. Which got me thinking if I could update (reset) them in the printer and get it to write them back out to the chips on the toner bottle - problem solved. But you think not. Rats!
That Product Support Guide has some very useful information but regretfully it is for a newer model - the C400DN (G158). I saved it and will print it unless by some chance you would have one for the CL4000DN (G104) model?
Very kind of you to post it.
Thanks again.
John

zed255
10-13-2010, 08:10 PM
How about this:

jsulliva
10-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Zed,
That's it.
Thank you.
As you seem well connected, are there any other training type materials you could share?
Thanks again.
John

zed255
10-13-2010, 09:21 PM
No real 'training' materials per-se. You mentioned having the service manual, and I'd assume the operator manuals (if not they are freely available from Ricoh's end user sites). Do you have the parts catalog and point to point diagrams? If not, then linked below. Links expire in 30 days. There are some bulletins also, but there is no easy ZIP download for those, they have to be downloaded individually. Nothing earth shattering in those anyhow.

Parts Catalog (https://files.me.com/jkuetemann/etlf0n)
Point to Point (https://files.me.com/jkuetemann/w6muc2)

The product was introduced in 2004 and has a final assured parts availability date is April 2013.

jsulliva
10-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Zed,
Thanks for sharing.
John

jsulliva
10-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Can either of you inform me please what SP9910.003 "Toner Fill Up" 003-ALL or 9910.010, .011, .012, .013 for K,M,C,Y does? My first thought was that it informs the toner bottle chips that they are now full, but perhaps it merely rotates the toner bottles to cause them to transfer toner forward and move from the bottles so it will move inside the machine.
Studying the book while awaiting my supply of toner to arrive...
Thanks,
John

zed255
10-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Those are factory codes to basically prime the toner delivery system. You will find no SP to reset the toner chip. If the code says 'Factory' or 'Design Use' it isn't meant to be jacked with. I'd hate to see you brick the unit trying to circumvent the toner chips by messing with SP's.

Custom Search