PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Print job owner

Custom Search

larbac
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Hello,
I wonder what documentation should I read to try to understand how the Print job owner is picked.
My problem is that sometimes the job onwer is diferent depending if I am printing with PS or PCL driver or if I use RAW or LPR protocols...
Sometimes the printer shows my windows user, other times the computer name, other times the ip address.
I am trying to understand on what does this depends...

bellsysjoe
11-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Give me a call at 704-562-1543 I am a master tech

KenB
11-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Give me a call at 704-562-1543 I am a master tech

If you want to have people call you directly (I see you have done this on other threads as well) that's up to you, but please send your phone number via a PM.

Posting it for all to see just may be considered unpaid advertising, and is strictly against the rules of this site.

KenB
11-06-2010, 11:16 PM
It is totally up to the specific driver as to whether it passes the user info or not when printing directly to the printer. It has nothing to do with LPR, Port 9100, etc..

One way to get the print job owner to show more reliably is to print through a Windows print server. As long as the user has a valid account on the server and /or domain it should show.

If you're in a workgroup and not a domain the user will have to have a local account on the server. If not, all jobs will come through as "guest" as the owner and certainly won't be very informative. This is a Microsoft issue.

The funny thing is that if a printer is shared on a Windows server and a Mac prints using the share, the user name always comes through. Weird, I know...:confused:

Custom Search