PDA

View Full Version : No Scan on c652

Custom Search

oldtech
11-04-2010, 08:01 PM
The original customer complaint was that no one could log in, when I arrived on site they already turned it off in admin mode. No log in but now the fax/scan screen won't come up at all. Just a little beep and nothing. I am new to these machines and don't want to something stupid if there is a simple solution. The box will copy and print ok but no scan screen at all. Customer says in the last couple weeks she has had to restart it a lot for the same trouble but this time restart did nothing.

The error pages only had marks for the HDD (3)

RRodgers
11-04-2010, 08:09 PM
The original customer complaint was that no one could log in, when I arrived on site they already turned it off in admin mode. No log in but now the fax/scan screen won't come up at all. Just a little beep and nothing. I am new to these machines and don't want to something stupid if there is a simple solution. The box will copy and print ok but no scan screen at all. Customer says in the last couple weeks she has had to restart it a lot for the same trouble but this time restart did nothing.

The error pages only had marks for the HDD (3)

Go into tech mode and to a physical then logical format of the drive and see if that fixes it.

oldtech
11-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks, I will be back on site tomorrow. I was afraid to do that as I don't know how this machine uses the drive or what it stores on it. If that brings it back do you think replacement is next? My experience on other machines is once you have to format it seems that they are failing and may as well get another.

TheOwl
11-05-2010, 12:04 AM
The drives in these machines are pretty good and I haven't had to replace one yet. Normally if anything goes really wrong a format will fix the drive. As far as what is contained on the drives: one touches, user boxes, user authentication/account track and so forth.

As far as Fax/Scan button goes, make sure that the user hasn't disabled the fax/scan mode from administrator mode. You can disble certain features on the machine so that people can't use them.

oldtech
11-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks for your help, it is good to know what is stored on the drive. And the tip on the scan function being disabled by the cust is a good possibility, she has no fear of pushing buttons. Might need a admin code set in the future.

Stirton.M
11-05-2010, 12:43 AM
If what TheOwl recommended re: "disabled features in admin mode" does not pan out, I'd recommend to disable the hard disk before you format it...just in case you have user data on it...user box data, large one touch lists or large user lists in authentication. The latter, authentication list, would be worth while to back that up on a computer...data admin or pagescope web interface...either or...

Once disabled, cycle the power and wait for it to fully boot back up...enter tech rep again, system 1, Initialization-Clear All Data. Cycle power when it instructs you to. Enter tech rep again, enable the hard disk. Cycle power again. When the machine is fully functioning again, check to see if the scan options are available again. If so, then reprogram network settings....

oldtech
11-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Does the clear all reset the engine settings?
I will try to save the data. I have copies of most of my customers set ups( I get permission first) but I usually do the Ricoh boxes. This guy is in Ireland on vacation, I might give him something to do when he gets back.......

Stirton.M
11-05-2010, 01:52 AM
see attached document for information on what is reset by this procedure.

Most user information can be backed up via the web interface. There is an export function for both one touch data and authentication data. Copytrack data, that is, the counts, can only be printed out, but not preserved to later upload back into the machine. Box data can be saved to a PC to later print back to recreated boxes...the drawback to this is that if any are password protected...pretty obvious what that means....

Generally, I print out the network settings pages, along with any other identifying information...admin email, machine email addresses for example. If a fax kit installed, write down the fax number and local tsi.

If there is only user scan to data, a quick backup of that and then perform the data clear function. But if there is more, I make certain that I simply disable the hard disk first. Doing so will preserve the data written to the disk.

The only caveat being copytrack, account track...that information must be preserved via export before you disable the drive. Copytrack or account track both will clear user data if enabled or disabled...it is simply a function of the tracking program and cannot be avoided, regardless of what else may be on the hard disk or the approach you decide to do regarding the clear data process.

This is mind you, an extreme end of what you may face when you want to reset the data. For all I know, there are no user boxes being used, no one touches created and copytrack is disabled. If so, then jump right into just doing a data clear process.

Keep in mind however, that the hard disk will have been disabled directly using the clear data function, so upon rebooting of the machine, you will have to re-enable the disk. Formatting the drive is up to you if you want, but is not required.

oldtech
11-05-2010, 02:45 AM
I really appreciate all the help. At least I don't think I will do more harm than good now.

Thanks all

oldtech
11-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Another tech went out and the scan function was turned off. Account track info was gone, no problem as this was his machine and he had backup. We think this customer likes to push buttons....

Custom Search