PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub 601 - Print from Word fails at first attempt.

Custom Search

swt
11-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Hello,

we are using Account Track authentication to print to a 601. When Word is first opened and a job is sent to the printer it fails with 'No account set for group auth'. If however printer properties are accessed first, without having to make any changes to settings, the job will then print ok as will subsequent jobs within that session.

If Word is closed and reopened printing will again fail unless the properties have been accessed.

This problem has not appeared so far when printing from other applications.

I know this seems like a Word issue, not a print issue, but just thought I'd check here in case anyone has come across it before.

Thanks,
Michael

BlueBlazer
11-09-2010, 03:43 PM
What OS, and version of Word are you using. There's weird problems with each combination and version

swt
11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
XP Pro SP3, Word 2003 SP3 and Word 2007 SP2.

I think our Windows 7 machines are ok (ok when tested but the issue seemed to be intermittent at one point).

BlueBlazer
11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
In the driver properties under Printing preferences be sure that Group Auth is checked and configured if you are applying different settings for each user. If that still fails try setting the Printing default properties under Advanced >> Printing Defaults. This will set the Group Auth settings for users on a local machine, but may clear up the problem.

I'd also double check your driver install for the XP machines(roll back to the 1.1[I think] driver), I've had the newer 601 driver do some screwy things on XP machines.

spock
11-09-2010, 09:02 PM
thats a weird one, does it work if you try popup authentication box when printing?

TheOwl
11-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Do you have the 'Auto Acquire' setting enabled within the driver?

Are you printing direct from the computer to the copier or via a print share?

Have you tried completely removing the driver (see below for details)?

Have you got any other printers installed on that computer?

Is there anything funky with the backup of that PC such as a direct mirror to another HDD?

Completely removing drivers:

1. Print a test page from the driver
2. Delete driver from print manager
3. File - Server Properties - Drivers - Remove unused drivers (restart the print spooler if windows says it is still in use)
4. c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 and delete the Konica Minolta folder for the 601/751
5. Do a search on the computer for the files listed on the test page and manually delete them

On step 4, if you have a 64Bit system you will need to go to the w64 folder instead of the w32x86 unless you have both 32 and 64Bit drivers loaded on that one system.

swt
11-10-2010, 11:44 AM
In the driver properties under Printing preferences be sure that Group Auth is checked and configured
Is this on the server? Account track info on the server is currently blank with details for each user entered locally. Should I be entering generic details on the server and, if that is the case, will these 'override' local settings as we need those to keep track of usage?

I'd also double check your driver install for the XP machines(roll back to the 1.1[I think] driver), I've had the newer 601 driver do some screwy things on XP machines.
We're using v1.0.3 - I'll see if we can get 1.1.

Many thanks.

swt
11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
thats a weird one, does it work if you try popup authentication box when printing?
Haven't tried that but can do to test (assuming this would mean a pop-up for each print job: that's effectively what we're trying to overcome :)).

swt
11-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Do you have the 'Auto Acquire' setting enabled within the driver?
Yes, it's checked and set for 'Device which connect with printer port'

Via a print share on a Windows 2003 server.

Haven't tried this yet but will if need be.

Have you got any other printers installed on that computer?
Yes, two other Bizhubs (C360 and C280) and one HP 2100.

Is there anything funky with the backup of that PC such as a direct mirror to another HDD?
Nothing is backed up locally.

BlueBlazer
11-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Ah ha

Is this on the server? Account track info on the server is currently blank with details for each user entered locally. Should I be entering generic details on the server and, if that is the case, will these 'override' local settings as we need those to keep track of usage?

Are you using the same driver for the 601 on local machines and the server? As I recall the different versions of the 601 driver function very differently.

swt
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Are you using the same driver for the 601 on local machines and the server? As I recall the different versions of the 601 driver function very differently.
I can't be sure as some were installed initially for testing. I'll completely remove the drivers as described by TheOwl and see how that goes.

Many thanks.

swt
11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Completely removing drivers:

1. Print a test page from the driver
2. Delete driver from print manager
3. File - Server Properties - Drivers - Remove unused drivers (restart the print spooler if windows says it is still in use)
4. c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 and delete the Konica Minolta folder for the 601/751
5. Do a search on the computer for the files listed on the test page and manually delete them

On step 4, if you have a 64Bit system you will need to go to the w64 folder instead of the w32x86 unless you have both 32 and 64Bit drivers loaded on that one system.

Does this apply to the server as there is no Konica Minolta folder on the client and no files either as per step five (these all show up on the server but I was reluctant to remove them as that would affect all users)?

TheOwl
11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
If all users are effected by this issue, then yeah, I would be doing this on the server. This also gives you the chance to upgrade your drivers with the latest version as though you are installing the driver for the first time.

Sometimes when installing the latest driver, Windows will look at the files that were previously installed and compare them with the new files. Any files that are the same name maybe skipped as Windows says "I already have that file and everything looks the same" even though the files could be different within.

If you have ever installed the latest driver and then looked at the driver version only to find that it is the same as the old driver, then this is what has happened.

swt
12-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Replacing the driver as advised has worked. Users can now print first time from Word, every time.

Many thanks to TheOwl and to all for replying.

TheOwl
12-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Glad to hear that you got everything working again and thanks for posting back to say that the fix worked :-)

Custom Search