PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta C252 no light on ethernet plug

Custom Search

Wilbury Hove
11-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi All, I'm not a techie but am fishing for some different guidance to that already received or, you may agree with that advice.

Basically, I bought this machine 2nd hand and the attraction was the page count being less than 2k. The machine is in very good condition. I'm a one man band surveyor and the idea was to have this machine phase out 3 separates including a b/w copier, colour printer and scanner.

Unfortunately, there are no output lights on the ethernet plug on the KM. We tried different cable combinations and different ports on our router but this showed the ethernet port is at fault. We've proved this to be the case by using cable/router port combinations on machines that already work.

Consequently, I called a service engineer who immediately told me I would need a new printer control board and this would cost £1400 - ouch. Well I can't afford that.

A second company who this time came to see the machine said the same thing but they would offer a second hand board at a lesser cost but still too much.

I've looked at the board. I can see no burnt out components or anything obvious. We've also checked that the board is enabled. The board reference is 4038-0121- (this next bit is in a white painted box 016041408) 4038-6022-01.

If anyone has any alternative suggestions or, could suggest another strategy then I'd be extremely grateful to hear your views.

Many thanks.

JSC
11-12-2010, 07:59 PM
The 1st thing I would do is connect a lapie via a crossover cable to your C252, if still no joy then I would upgrade/reflash the firmware, and then a Nic and/or NVram recovery. Then and only then would I be looking at changing the main PCB

pepper38_cnd
11-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree with JSC except I would do a nic recovery first ( I don't think firmware will make a difference but it is worth a try and doesn't take much time). I personally do not put a lot of faith in the lights on the nic of the machine, do you get a link light at your switch or router? Can you configure the nic via the control panel, a sure sign of a locked up nic is if you change the ip address then reboot and the address doesn't change. If this is too much for you not being a Techie call another engineer, and get a price on haveing him perform the nic recovery and firmware flash, it is probably worth investing another $110 for an honest techs efforts before jumping to the conclusion you need to replace the most exspensive board in the machine.

JSC
11-12-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree with JSC except I would do a nic recovery first ( I don't think firmware will make a difference but it is worth a try and doesn't take much time). I personally do not put a lot of faith in the lights on the nic of the machine, do you get a link light at your switch or router? Can you configure the nic via the control panel, a sure sign of a locked up nic is if you change the ip address then reboot and the address doesn't change. If this is too much for you not being a Techie call another engineer, and get a price on haveing him perform the nic recovery and firmware flash, it is probably worth investing another $110 for an honest techs efforts before jumping to the conclusion you need to replace the most exspensive board in the machine.

Yep.........I'd go along with that.

Wilbury Hove
11-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Many thanks. Those comments are very helpful. I'll test those suggestions and see how I get on.

Regards

Wilbury Hove
11-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Hello,

Following your earlier advice I took up the issue with the machine seller as I was concerned at the prospect at throwing more money at yet another attempted repair that may or may not have worked. Their solution was to send an identical replacement machine (C252). I took delivery today but made sure I tested it before the delivery driver left. This time the ethernet light on the pcb worked but, the machine had other problems effectively meaning I couldn't use it. Plus, the second machine had a clock count of 5500 as opposed to 1900 on my first machine.

Consequently, I removed the pcb from the second machine and installed it in the first one. The ethernet light continues to work. Initially though the replacement pcb was showing the clock count from the second machine (5500) and not that of the first machine (1900). Thus I switched the NVRAM modules and my original machine now has its original clock count. Please bare with me on this as I'm not a techie.

Anyway the machine now turns on but the display exhibits a malfunction message. Also, when I press the utility/counter button the only utility option I see on the screen is 4 - Check consumable life. None of the other settings appear and in particular I'm unable to see the administrator settings.

This has taken a great deal of time for someone like me essentially fishing in the dark but I feel like I'm nearly there. Does anyone have any further suggestions please in terms of the way forward. I'm based in Hove so would welcome and pay for a visit from a competent engineer. Many thanks.

JSC
11-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Hello,

Following your earlier advice I took up the issue with the machine seller as I was concerned at the prospect at throwing more money at yet another attempted repair that may or may not have worked. Their solution was to send an identical replacement machine (C252). I took delivery today but made sure I tested it before the delivery driver left. This time the ethernet light on the pcb worked but, the machine had other problems effectively meaning I couldn't use it. Plus, the second machine had a clock count of 5500 as opposed to 1900 on my first machine.

Consequently, I removed the pcb from the second machine and installed it in the first one. The ethernet light continues to work. Initially though the replacement pcb was showing the clock count from the second machine (5500) and not that of the first machine (1900). Thus I switched the NVRAM modules and my original machine now has its original clock count. Please bare with me on this as I'm not a techie.

Anyway the machine now turns on but the display exhibits a malfunction message. Also, when I press the utility/counter button the only utility option I see on the screen is 4 - Check consumable life. None of the other settings appear and in particular I'm unable to see the administrator settings.

This has taken a great deal of time for someone like me essentially fishing in the dark but I feel like I'm nearly there. Does anyone have any further suggestions please in terms of the way forward. I'm based in Hove so would welcome and pay for a visit from a competent engineer. Many thanks.

Ok, if the second machine worked fine and you changed the board only because of the meter reading then I would change it back as 5500 is still a baby, I have plenty of these out at 500k and a few coming up to the million mark (The machine life is meant to be 850k).
What is the malfunction message that is now coming up on the 1st machine?
Only seeing the consumable life in the utility screen sounds life a NVram issue.

Wilbury Hove
11-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Ok, if the second machine worked fine and you changed the board only because of the meter reading then I would change it back as 5500 is still a baby, I have plenty of these out at 500k and a few coming up to the million mark (The machine life is meant to be 850k).
What is the malfunction message that is now coming up on the 1st machine?
Only seeing the consumable life in the utility screen sounds life a NVram issue.

Thanks for your reply. I need to clarify some points. First, the second machine is a bit more tired looking in its shell but I was otherwise happy to accept a new machine albeit with a 5500 clock count. However, although the ethernet light switched on, the machine had other issues. For instance the touch facility didnt work on the control panel. But, it was possible to use some controls on the push buttons but these dont appear to offer the full range of options on the touch screen. Then the side paper feed door kept falling open and the control panel exhibited an image of the machine with the door open and a message saying it wasnt shut properly. Also, the machine would not copy and wouldnt go into sleep mode following inactivity.

Consequently, my theory was to remove the pcb from the second machine and install it in the first machine. I turned on the machine and was pleased that the ethernet light came to life but the machine showed a malfunction message. Also, the pcb carried over the clock count from the second machine but I dealt with this by switching the nvram cards but that didnt do anything to change the malfunction message. Regardless of which nvram card was in the machine the malfunction message was the same and only one of the utility options appeared on the control panel.

This process was like dealing with one set of problems an inheriting others. I thought switching pcb boards would be the easiest way out but still have some way to go. Any thoughts? Many thanks.

JSC
11-27-2010, 07:47 AM
What is the malfunction message?

tglise
11-27-2010, 08:35 AM
i have a smillar problem, am a technicial but i dont have the firmware, any one who can send me one for c252, tglise@gmail.com

Wilbury Hove
11-27-2010, 09:03 AM
What is the malfunction message?

The message is C-DOOF I recall. Thanks

mrwho
11-27-2010, 09:07 AM
That error is related to the hard disk. Either it is malfunctioning (did you drop it or applied pressure on it while replacing the boards?) or it is disconnected (recheck the connections).

The OLD machine with the OLD nvram (the little board) with the NEW mainboard should work just fine, from what you've described to us.

Stirton.M
11-28-2010, 12:15 AM
My thoughts too...

Hard disk may be at fault. Disabling the disk in tech rep mode may confirm it is the drive or not. Formatting the disk "might" fix the problem, and if not, any laptop IDE disk drive will work...though I do not recommend a high volume one...more than 200G....mainly because you will most certainly never come close to using up the space. I think these originally sported 40G drives...

As an aside about the NVRAM, that should stay with the machine it originated with. KM has issues about mixing and matching these up with other machines...it is a bit similar to issues surrounding resetting the odometer of a car.

seniortech
11-28-2010, 06:09 PM
I've seen your original fault loads of times; flashing the machine and doing a NIC recovery has cured the problem every single time, it would have been far easier to have got a tech in to do this in the first place...

mrwho
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I've seen your original fault loads of times; flashing the machine and doing a NIC recovery has cured the problem every single time, it would have been far easier to have got a tech in to do this in the first place...

True. But some people like challenges... :)

Wilbury Hove
11-29-2010, 10:20 AM
True. But some people like challenges... :)

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I removed and remade the connections this morning and the machine now seems to be running fine with the new pcb and the old nvram board so my original page count remains valid. I've not tried networking the machine but the network light is on so I'm not anticipating any problems.

I wanted an engineer to visit and resolve the issue but two visited me and charged me £150 each and none proposed the solutions (nic recovery) you recommended but did say I needed a new pcb. One company wanted £800 and the other £1500! That would have been a huge outlay relative to what I paid for the machine.

This is really an excellent forum and I apologise for leaning on your goodwill but your collective efforts are much appreciated.

Many thanks

mrwho
11-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Good to know. Thanks for your feedback!

ianstevens44
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
tradesupply.net have one in for under a hundred pounds

Hi All, I'm not a techie but am fishing for some different guidance to that already received or, you may agree with that advice.

Basically, I bought this machine 2nd hand and the attraction was the page count being less than 2k. The machine is in very good condition. I'm a one man band surveyor and the idea was to have this machine phase out 3 separates including a b/w copier, colour printer and scanner.

Unfortunately, there are no output lights on the ethernet plug on the KM. We tried different cable combinations and different ports on our router but this showed the ethernet port is at fault. We've proved this to be the case by using cable/router port combinations on machines that already work.

Consequently, I called a service engineer who immediately told me I would need a new printer control board and this would cost £1400 - ouch. Well I can't afford that.

A second company who this time came to see the machine said the same thing but they would offer a second hand board at a lesser cost but still too much.

I've looked at the board. I can see no burnt out components or anything obvious. We've also checked that the board is enabled. The board reference is 4038-0121- (this next bit is in a white painted box 016041408) 4038-6022-01.

If anyone has any alternative suggestions or, could suggest another strategy then I'd be extremely grateful to hear your views.

Many thanks.

Custom Search