PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Kyocera Hard Drive Questions

Custom Search

Cluster_Tech
11-16-2010, 05:06 AM
I have a Kyocera EcoPro c220n that I like but it spools ridiculously slow. I ordered the 512 MB RAM Upgrade hopefully that will help.

I have some questions about the hard drive option.

1) Will the HDD make much difference? I do not do a lot of printing but when I do I am usually proofing art so the files are large from 3MB up to 100 MB.

2) What hardware is required for me to plug a 2.5 inch HDD into the main controller board? Is the hardware available used or aftermarket for a reasonable price?

3) I have plenty of laptop hard drives, is there something special about the HD-ME5, 40GB Hard Drive? (other than the Kyocera sticker on it)

4) 400 bucks is really expensive for a hard drive, what's the reason for the crazy price? Is there a viable alternative?

Thank You very much for your time,

A

blackcat4866
11-17-2010, 12:41 AM
You've got a lot of questions. Let's see if I can address them all.

1) Will the HDD make much difference? I do not do a lot of printing but when I do I am usually proofing art so the files are large from 3MB up to 100 MB. The HDD is not the answer to increasing the spooling speed. What you need to do is upgrade the printer memory from the standard 128MB to the full 640MB. Then increase host buffer settings to allow you to use the additional memory. Another factor in spooling speed is the application/file type. For example, a 20MB PDF with multiple embedded images can blow up to 50x that size as a .prn file after it passes through the driver. Have you ever opened the printer queue and watched the document spool? That 20MB PDF file rarely predicts what size the resulting .prn file will be. What print emulation are you using? You can decrease your spooling time considerably by using PCL XL emulation in both the print driver and on the printer Command Center.

2) What hardware is required for me to plug a 2.5 inch HDD into the main controller board? Is the hardware available used or aftermarket for a reasonable price? You can use a laptop harddrive of the same make & type if you have HD-ME5 interface. Available used, maybe, but I've never seen it available used. Aftermarket, No.

3) I have plenty of laptop hard drives, is there something special about the HD-ME5, 40GB Hard Drive? (other than the Kyocera sticker on it). Same as above.

4) 400 bucks is really expensive for a hard drive, what's the reason for the crazy price? Is there a viable alternative? Sure. don't buy the hard drive. You don't need it. Order the DIMM memory.

=^..^=

Cluster_Tech
11-17-2010, 04:11 AM
Hey thank you very much for the info. I am a home user and do not know much about how to configure the drivers and the machine, is there a manual that explains these things in detail?

This printer started leaving magenta artifacts all over pages (bands and splotches) but that seems to have cleared up for now. I went to the control panel on the printer and selected an option that said "drum", I am assuming that cleans off the drum? The Kyocera manual says nothing about it. I hope this printer doesn't turn out to be problematic, I have only had it for a short time.

Thanks Again!

A

Custom Search