PDA

View Full Version : What's your internet access type and speed?

Custom Search

mrwho
11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Im curious about what most of the people here have for accessing the internet.

I begin:

- At home I have cable, 60mbit download, 4mbit upload.
- At work, I believe it to be ADSL, somewhere around 6Mbit, although I don't know specifics.
-While traveling (or at a customer without net access) I have mobile broadband (the cheapest) with 2mbit download (it falls down to 128k when I reach 1Gb traffic, but it's more than enough for my mobile needs).

What about you guys?

OMD-227
11-22-2010, 10:50 PM
What is this 'Internet' thing you speak of??

I've been doing this through morse code.

gwaddle
11-22-2010, 10:54 PM
carrier pidgeon here in Nebraska

mrwho
11-22-2010, 10:54 PM
What is this 'Internet' thing you speak of??

I've been doing this through morse code.

Yeah, I know. I've still got my old e-Pigeon for when this whole interweb thing gets turned off. :)

KenB
11-23-2010, 12:42 AM
At home, I've got a 20 mb/sec cable modem.

At the office, a fractional T1, but there are so many flippin' users on it that you're doing very well if you get 2 mb/sec.

dogsbody
11-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Only 8000Kbs at home, 24Mbs at work. Never get anywhere near the stated speeds. I am on a congested RIM at home so when the school kids get on at night I am somtimes reduced to little better than dialup. I wouldn't live anywhere else but our infastructure sucks ass.

Stirton.M
11-23-2010, 12:47 PM
At home, I've got a 20 mb/sec cable modem.

At the office, a fractional T1, but there are so many flippin' users on it that you're doing very well if you get 2 mb/sec.

I'm with you on both accounts. And ya, the office sucks donkey balls for speed....if I need a large file, which more often than not, I do, I just drive home...its on too many levels much faster that way.

RRodgers
11-23-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm with you on both accounts. And ya, the office sucks donkey balls for speed....if I need a large file, which more often than not, I do, I just drive home...its on too many levels much faster that way.

If I need to download a file from KM's website I usually try to do it the night before. UGGGG Here in the State anything past 7:45am is a crawl!

AyJayAreDii
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
We have 8Mb cable at home. fastest I have ever had out of it is 2.3Mb. Yhat day was heavenly. would love to have a faster connection but this is the fastest that can be offered in my area :(

mrwho
12-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Guess I'm lucky, then - I went for the second-cheapest optical fiber service my provider has - they go up to 360Mb download, but it's way too expensive for me...

AyJayAreDii
12-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Guess I'm lucky, then - I went for the second-cheapest optical fiber service my provider has - they go up to 360Mb download, but it's way too expensive for me...

360Mb download!!!! that is possible? fastest I have ever used in the uk is 10Mb. fastest seen in uk is 20Mb.

bilyahn
12-02-2010, 02:33 PM
360Mb what's that. The fastest I can get is DSL and download speed tops out at 154Kbps. We don't even have that speed on any of the local intranets!!!!! There are a few customers that have better setups but they are located in one of our metro areas (17K people)! Also have wireless internet but has issues when it snows, like today. Nothing in the mobile wireless range as my cell phone won't work in 70% of my service area, AT&T and Verizon say they have it, buuuuuuuuttttttttttt. HAHAHAHAHA

mrwho
12-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Well, I don't want to be a dick, but apparently they even offer 1Gbps over fiber - check here (http://www.zon.pt/Internet/TarifariosFibra/Detalhe.aspx), my service is the second from the left.

Ducttape n Glue
12-02-2010, 05:24 PM
This message is coming to you via my brai....FRzZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Ducttape n Glue
12-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Sorry, damn thing went on the fritz.....have to use cable..........we get 100MBps download at home and at the office, but it usually is running in the 50 to 70MBps.....but everyone knows , it is never fast enuff!

bojans
12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I have 1Mb cable at home and ADSL at work, and I'm pretty satisfied with that speed. But 360Mb download!!! Wauuu

bilyahn
12-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, I don't want to be a dick, but apparently they even offer 1Gbps over fiber - check here (http://www.zon.pt/Internet/TarifariosFibra/Detalhe.aspx), my service is the second from the left.

That's way cool! We might get something like that in 15 or 20 years!!!

mrwho
12-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Of course it depends on the area, I only got fiber some months ago.

And all of this is, of course, because of competition: the two major competing providers installed fiber in the area at roughly the same time (with 1-2 weeks difference). The prices are also going down - or speeds going up - thanks to that.

My internet speed has been growing steadily at roughly the same price (8, 10, 20, 50, 60Mb) for a while now. And I usually can get near the contracted speed (testing with Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net)).

TheOwl
12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
At work I have two connections, a 2Mb link to our main office and a separate 24Mb for other services that we provide. My phone is supposed to be 7.2Mb down but that really depends on weather and stuff.

Hopefully I will be getting fibre laid through my street within the next year so I will be going 100Mbs at home.

kingpd@businessprints.net
12-05-2010, 08:19 AM
360Mb download!!!! that is possible? fastest I have ever used in the uk is 10Mb. fastest seen in uk is 20Mb.

They have actually been able to transfer an 8 gig movie over fiber optics in one second. Don't expect that to be commercially available anytime soon.

I have 8MBps down and 2 up. We don't have FIOS here which is supposed to get up to 50MB down I think. The think is though, if everyone has 2MB or so up then anything over 2MB or so down is a waste. That's why even from business servers the most I ever got was 1.5-2.0 MB down. Just wasted extra capacity. Check your internet contract though; many have clauses where they can limit you if you use too much.

Here in PA, comcast tried to do that and they got a class action against them; they also restricted bandwidth on ppl using p2p networks.

Custom Search