PDA

View Full Version : Error Code Bizhub C-650 printer settings? Confused....

Custom Search

masterofpatience
11-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Okay.. so there is NO code number....but I have a client who is using a Bizhub C650 to print posters and letterheads from a Mac and every time they send documents to the printer the C650 requests a different weight of paper other than what he has programmed into the machine. It's as though the printer software is pre-programmed to select the weight of the paper for specific jobs even if the client has pre-programmed the type of paper that they actually want to use prior to sending the file to the printer yet I can find no settings anywhere in the document file to make changes.

For example: if they select a document file from their archive that should print on 11X17 64lb gloss and program the machine for that style and send the job to the printer, the C-650 calls for an error and suspends the printing process and instructs them to install 11X17 85-100lb gloss even though they don't want it on 85-100lb gloss. If they program that type of paper in sometimes it still won't print.
Strangely enough, when the bypass is programmed for a specific waeit ans type, it doesn't recognize that it has that stock in the bypass, though 8.5X11 works every time...(we know the paper size sensors work)

Does anyone know if there is a way to disengage or reset the programming to allow them to use the paper they want in the machine or is this something in the way the original document was saved on the Mac?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Mr Spock
12-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Which programs? Also check the print driver, someone could have changed it there and it is overriding the program settings.

masterofpatience
12-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Which programs? Also check the print driver, someone could have changed it there and it is overriding the program settings.

These for the most part are JPG images for the posters and Adobe PDF files for the letterheads and business cards. The print driver is one I downloaded from the Konica support website.

Thanks!

ineo+6501
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Make sure the driver is for a C650 and for the correct MAC OS.

Stirton.M
12-01-2010, 10:37 AM
OK...first off, the driver....it sounds like you have the wrong driver, since the C650 does not set by weight of 65lb glossy, it sets by weight range using the "Thick" setting of thick 1 to thick 3 for main body trays and thick 4 for bypass, glossy does not even enter the picture. I cannot recall by memory which ranges are for which, but the display screen indicates what weight range each thick setting.

It is possible that the wrong driver is being used for the firmware level as well, though these days, that is less an issue as it used to be. Is there a fiery controller on the C-650? Or did you quote the wrong machine and it is a C6500, a significantly different machine?

masterofpatience
12-01-2010, 04:39 PM
OK...first off, the driver....it sounds like you have the wrong driver, since the C650 does not set by weight of 65lb glossy, it sets by weight range using the "Thick" setting of thick 1 to thick 3 for main body trays and thick 4 for bypass, glossy does not even enter the picture. I cannot recall by memory which ranges are for which, but the display screen indicates what weight range each thick setting.

It is possible that the wrong driver is being used for the firmware level as well, though these days, that is less an issue as it used to be. Is there a fiery controller on the C-650? Or did you quote the wrong machine and it is a C6500, a significantly different machine?

Well, it seems I misinterpreted the information I was given.:( I was originally told it was a C-650, now I'm told it's a Konica Bizhub C-6500 but that it was sold under the Ikon label as a Bizhub C-650
Yes, it does have a fiery unit attached. Konica lists an IC-303. Those drivers were installed as well. The drivers I installed on the Mac were the ones for the C-6500. I have the latest firmware updates also downloaded from the Konica website. :(

Does this help?

Stirton.M
12-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Ok....the engine, though similar to the KM brand, is not 100% the same. You cannot use KM drivers from my understanding. Though I could be wrong, never had to deal with that issue personally, though a co-worker has, I think....

There are 4 choices of controller for the device, one is a Creo controller (comes with its own monitor and keyboard and mouse), the others are Fiery....IC 303/305...(essentially the same machine, market area difference), and an IC408, mounted on the rear panel of the main body. For the fiery devices, unless you have a special kit, an external keyboard and monitor cannot be attached. But both devices can be accessed via remote desktop, they are windows XP installed.

You should be using the drivers that came with the fiery itself. Using web interface (IE for example) and type in the IP address of the fiery, you should see a Fiery logo on the interface, that when clicked will give you the fiery interface itself, where you can see the configuration settings of the fiery, change them, and also, download the manuals and drivers specific to that fiery and Ikon's OEM specs, in both windows and Mac.

Basically, if you use the Web interface and see Konica Minolta Logo there, you can use Konica Minolta drivers...but if you see Ikon, you should use Ikon drivers. Again, I suggest you use only the drivers on the controller itself, ensuring you have the correct drivers for that device and eliminate any confusion.

The windows drivers should be fine, even on vista and win 7, if all you have is the XP...basically little has changed in that regard. I am not sure if there are 64 bit drivers for the Ikon side or not, though I highly suspect those are also available.

Mac drivers however, might be problematic. Latest Snow Leopard drivers for example, likely do not exist.

For KM hardware, there are 3 versions of Fiery system code. In our case, the driver must match the system code or you will have issues. Two way communication is critical to this end.

I am not fluent in Mac software, so I cannot say for certain how it should work, but we have noted that on newer macs, the 2.0 driver will not work 100%, that some functions will fail. The user simply passed the job to the printer hold queue, and then from command workstation, changed the parameters of the job from there. Sounds convoluted, but it really isn't. Just configure the driver during install to use the hold queue instead of the print queue.

The latest command workstation for mac is available from EFI and will work with any OEM fiery, regardless. Version 4 can be found on the fiery (same place you downloaded the driver from on the device), but I do recommend for CWS that you get the latest, it is simply a much better program, user wise. The rest of the software you can download from the fiery is fine and you can use it as is. The user documentation (same download place again) will explain how to use that additional software.

Fiery Command WorkStation 5 (http://efi.com/cws5/)

A quick registration request to fill out and you can download the software, either windows or mac.

As a side note, on one customer with Snow Leopard, we installed version 3.0 drivers even though they are running 2.0 system (customer had issues with 3.0 system apparently, it was them, not the system IMHO). It would seem that some advanced features that would not show with the 2.0 driver, would with the 3.0 driver.

Regardless, most of our mac users will print to the hold queue and then configure their print choices from there. At this level, the mac is no longer a factor with regard to job parameters.

masterofpatience
12-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Terrific! This looks like the information I needed. The Fiery unit is NOT attached to the back of the machine. The model # on the plate is a Fiery controller Model 80-03 and interfaces well with the machine.The front door of the machine has an OEM IKON plastic label on it but the S/N tag on the back of the machine is printed Bizhub C6500. I have to presume it is actually a KM engine machine. I have downloaded the Mac and PC drivers for the FCW 5 and will attempt to rectify with those. Will post results as soon as completed

It should be noted that I have been unable to locate IKON specific drivers on any of the IKON support sites.

Thanks again!

Stirton.M
12-03-2010, 12:00 AM
As I mentioned, the drivers can be found on the fiery controller itself via the web interface, and it would be best that you use those drivers, as they will match the system version of the fiery controller and OEM proprietary information related to the machine. KM drivers might work, but are not recommended.

masterofpatience
12-04-2010, 05:09 AM
As I mentioned, the drivers can be found on the fiery controller itself via the web interface, and it would be best that you use those drivers, as they will match the system version of the fiery controller and OEM proprietary information related to the machine. KM drivers might work, but are not recommended.

Drivers found. Another tech who was working with me spoke with another local KM tech. His recommendation was to bypass the FCW5 software all together and print directly from Adobe which seemed to work well for my PC. We were actually able to print without the machine asking for paper specifics (weight, plain, gloss etc). However when we went back to the Mac the software again started asking for paper specifics even though nothing had changed other than the computer software. It made no difference if we used Adobe or the FCW5 software. I can only assume that it's something in the Mac drivers which require the specification of paper parameters.
Very grateful for your assistance. It helped a lot. :o

Stirton.M
12-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Uh....in CWS, you have the ability right within the program to change any and ALL parameters of the print job. Right clicking the print job within CWS will bring up a sub menu, select properties, and you can change the specifics to your needs. On a mac without a dual button mouse, print properties can be found on the upper pull down menu. Select the file in question, then pull down the menu (I forget which heading) and you will see properties there as well. Both OS, windows and mac, are virtually identical in function. And having CWS will give you the ability to hold and reprint documents at will, and of course, it is free to use and download. An older version is even contained on the fiery itself under user software.

masterofpatience
12-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Uh....in CWS, you have the ability right within the program to change any and ALL parameters of the print job. Right clicking the print job within CWS will bring up a sub menu, select properties, and you can change the specifics to your needs. On a mac without a dual button mouse, print properties can be found on the upper pull down menu. Select the file in question, then pull down the menu (I forget which heading) and you will see properties there as well. Both OS, windows and mac, are virtually identical in function. And having CWS will give you the ability to hold and reprint documents at will, and of course, it is free to use and download. An older version is even contained on the fiery itself under user software.

I thought so as well but there is no adjustment for paper WEIGHT which seems to be the only parameter missing. We can set for stock style (glossy,plain,etc) but when we do that the machine controller looks specifically for a designated weight...if we modify that weight during the print hold process to what the machine wants, it will release the document and print. It's very bizarre. I've never had a machine that makes it's own decisions about paper weight before though I know it will affect the fusing of the final image if the speed isn't slow enough to match the thickness of the stock.
When I go back next week I'll try to do screen shots of the parameters for each and if you send me a direct email I can mail them to you with exactly what the machine is requesting for each. Maybe that will assist in explaining the issues. Perhaps there IS something I'm missing

Stirton.M
12-05-2010, 05:42 PM
You can upload images to this site...easy enough to do. I recommend this so as others can see and may be able to provide input, and conversely, provide answers to others who may have similar issues to yours.

masterofpatience
12-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Ooops, yes.. got it... "we" can do that. Wasn't trying to cut anyone else out of the loop.

Stirton.M
12-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Just had a thought on this.

When you send a print job to the printer, on the display screen, does a button (Detail Check) appear in the mid-left portion of the screen?

If not....do the following...

Description
How to enable/disable the DETAIL CHECK button on the MFP display, and force printed jobs to printmessages such as "Please load designated Paper in Tray”, “Incorrect paper size”, “Incorrect paper weight”, “To check details, touch [Detail Check]" is indicated”.

Solution

To enable/disable the DETAIL CHECK button on the MFP display (this is done on the controller),perform the following:

1. Browse to the FieryŽ controllers via the TCP/IP address.
2. Launch the FieryŽ Web Tools and log in under Administrator, Fiery.1.
3. Launch Configure.
4. Select Server.
5. Select Jobs and enable/disable the JOB MISMATCH ACTION IS DETECTED. Check/enable if you DO NOT want the message to be displayed on the MFP and uncheck/disable to have the message indicated.
6.Select Apply followed by a reboot of the controller.

The nice thing about that particular feature is that it will allow you to "force" the tray settings through by simply selecting the drawer you want, back out of the extended screen and press the start button. If the tray is already highlighted, select any other tray and then reselect the tray you want and close the window and press start.

It is also possible to configure the drawer via Detail Check to conform to the print parameters and not the previously set drawer settings. If and when you have this set up, you will see what I am talking about.

Custom Search