PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta C6501 Fiery Features Won't Appear

Custom Search

tvaughan
12-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I have upgraded my Mac to Version 10.6.3 and now I can't get the "Full Properties" of my Konica Minolta C6501 to come up at all. The button is not grayed...it just does nothing. This would ordinarily bring up a dialog box to enter job specs (booklet, folding, stapling, etc). Now nothing. I'm using Quark for printing. I've tried printing from Adobe Acrobat Pro and still have the same issue. I reinstalled the driver from the Fiery itself and can print to it but only limited specs...no booklet printing at all can be found. Odd but I'm not surprised that it's been so hard to find ANY info on this at all. I appreciate any help at all! Thanks in advance. My Fiery Model is X3eTY2-10.

RRodgers
12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I have upgraded my Mac to Version 10.6.3 and now I can't get the "Full Properties" of my Konica Minolta C6501 to come up at all. The button is not grayed...it just does nothing. This would ordinarily bring up a dialog box to enter job specs (booklet, folding, stapling, etc). Now nothing. I'm using Quark for printing. I've tried printing from Adobe Acrobat Pro and still have the same issue. I reinstalled the driver from the Fiery itself and can print to it but only limited specs...no booklet printing at all can be found. Odd but I'm not surprised that it's been so hard to find ANY info on this at all. I appreciate any help at all! Thanks in advance. My Fiery Model is X3eTY2-10.

You need to tell the driver what option you have installed. You do that in the driver itself.

tvaughan
12-16-2010, 07:57 PM
I've done that through the System Preferences. The "Full Properties" button doesn't work at all. There are "short cut" properties to add and they work but it lacks the booklet option choice. I've attached a pic of my dialog box. The button is near the bottom.

RRodgers
12-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I've done that through the System Preferences. The "Full Properties" button doesn't work at all. There are "short cut" properties to add and they work but it lacks the booklet option choice. I've attached a pic of my dialog box. The button is near the bottom.

Try enabling the two way communication and see if it fixes itself.

Stirton.M
12-17-2010, 06:51 AM

It is not clear which fiery you are dealing with, and which version the system code resident on that fiery is, the image is so tiny, I cannot even make out what version that driver is.

There are three types of fiery, two are full PC towers, the IC-303 and the IC-305. For the most part, they are virtually identical, but there are subtle differences not readily available. If you were using a C5501, this would be narrowed down to the IC-303. The third variant, the embedded IC-408, which is not so much embedded as mounted on the back side copier, just beneath the PAT light.

System version code is also important to know. You can print this directly from the copier control panel access to the fiery, or through command workstation "file" pull down menu. Depending on which version of system code resident on the fiery controller, will dictate whether or not you are merely wasting time, or you can proceed with whatever drivers are available for your version of OS.

See the attached PDF for specifics on installing the driver correctly. The information appears to be generic to the three models, and may, or may not work for you.

Patch updates to the fiery controller may also be a contributing factor. The fiery does not update automatically out of the box, this feature must be enabled at the time of installation and the tech needs to ensure the network connections can access the internet to do the updates. Fiery specific updates in some cases are completely manual installation, as not all patches for that area of the controller are applicable to every user or environment.

Access to set this requires that you use remote desktop connection from any computer sharing the network connection with the fiery. Through the start menu, fiery tools, fiery updater. Set the update auto/manual parameters as you desire, and then select the "update now" to force an update of the windows portion of the controller immediately, otherwise you will have to wait for the time the automatic update is set to. Fiery patches are not automatically set, you have to select the patches specific to your needs, some have obvious descriptions to when they are needed. Also, some patches are exclusive patches, meaning they cannot be installed with the other patches during the update, you may have to patch some, then fully reboot the fiery after those are done, and repeat the update process to apply any other patches that could not mix with the previous session. Be sure to reboot the fiery after you are done, to ensure that the patches are fully implemented.

Consult the user manual on the specifics of this. The fiery user manuals can be downloaded from KM, or directly from the fiery itself, by using a web browser and the IP address of the fiery. Do not use Safari, it is incompatible if I recall. Firefox is fine.

When all is said and done on that end of things, you may not be able to use the advanced features at all, regardless of all of this. In one office, a user installed a version driver meant for system 3 fiery on an IC-303, even though the system code was 2.1, and this allowed them to open up the advanced options.

I am not a fan of macs (mainly for this reason alone on the job), so I cannot attest to whether or not using an incorrect driver version will work for you, or for that matter, if it will fully interact properly without giving you unforeseen surprises. It seems that even though some drivers say they are 10.6, that not all will work with 10.6.1 or .2 or .3 and so forth. It is irksome that Apple somehow breaks the drivers from one version to the next. I never have this issue with windows, I can use an XP driver in windows 7 without issue.

That said, in many cases, I simply direct the users of the Mac OS to create a driver that prints to the lpr port, hold queue, of the fiery, and from there, use command workstation to access the file sent to the fiery hold queue and set the job parameters as needed there. To be quite honest, Apple did a really shitty job on their approach to print interface, the interface as seen through command workstation is on too many levels, far superior and truly intuitive, relative to that abomination known as CUPS.

tvaughan
12-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. My workaround at the moment was to bring my Mac dual G4 (a 7 year old) and load the driver. It worked perfectly. All options are viewable. I'm going to get the tech to make sure that the latest driver is on the printer as that is where i IP the downloads. Again, thanks for the quick replies and if i get a solution on this new Mac OS 10.6.x then I'll post it.

ptrflrs
12-19-2010, 05:11 AM
I am almost sure there is a patch for the fiery that deals with this, i know there are several patches for mac on similar fiery models

HORSE
12-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Not sure if this will fix problem but if using snow Leopard you need to run this update for your fiery drivers.

EFI - Support - Software & Drivers Download (http://services.efi.com/support/drivers/download2.asp?oem=efi&sys=Apple_mac_osx_106&ver=NA)

Custom Search