PDA

View Full Version : NEC it3520-Missing menu options-DNS, Domain, SMTP, Scan

Custom Search

crimsondrac
12-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the forums so if I have posted this in the wrong one, please be kind to the newbie.

We just purchased a used NEC it-3520 which I am told is the same machine at the KM 3510. I am having an issue getting the Scanning feature to work at all. Does not seem to have any of the scanning touch buttons on the screen. SO after investigating some, it seems I am missing some of the Admin buttons for setting up the domain, the DNS, no options for SMTP.

Also, I notice when attemoting to setup a 1-touch button, the only Com Mode it shows is TX: FAX(G3). I do not have any options for TX: Scanner or anything. I know it does have a scanner as when logging into the web interface, the status screen shows it is installed.

Any advice from the pros?

Thanks

mrwho
12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
If that machine is anything like the bizhub 350, if I remember correctly, you need the scanner option in order to be able to scan.

crimsondrac
12-21-2010, 07:27 PM
You are correct. And as I said in my post, the status screen does show the scanner is installed.

mrwho
12-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Sorry, missed that bit. And sorry I can't be of any real assistance - the few times I had to deal with those machines were wiped off my brain, as it happens with most traumas the human being endures. :)

Kmdurrin
12-22-2010, 08:21 PM
I would start by re-flashing the machines firmware and see if that helps.

crimsondrac
12-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I appreciate the input but as I said, I am a newbie. I have flashed firmware on PCs and other electronic devices a thousand times, but I can not seem to find anyhere to download firmware for this particular copier and even if I did, I do not see any port or drive that I would be able to flash from. If you could provide more detail, it would be appreciated. If not, thanks for your input.

mjunkaged
01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
The NEC isn't EXACTLY like the KM version, I'm pretty sure. Some of the menus/service access are different. But, beside the point.
STEP ONE: do you have a network interface on the rear of the machine? Yes? No? If no, then you probably only have USB interface.
STEP TWO: IF you DO have network, set it up under admin 2/network, and then open Internet Explorer on a PC, type in the machine's IP address. If you can register scanner keys, the machine does have the network scan option installed. If you can't print OR scan then you have no options! Ditto if you have no network interface. IT'S AN OPTION.
STEP THREE: No network? AWWW, too bad! Try twain scanning and direct printing via USB.
Another quick way to find out if you have network scan is to press 'fax' , then poke round and see if you can send to email and not just G3(fax)
The option scanner under the function button that says 'extra scan' is also an option, one that enables scan to PC file folder.

mjunkaged
01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Guess I shoulda read your WHOLE post before replying! Sry. I agree, you have no scan option at all. UNLESS, you have scan to ftp, if so I'd recommend using ftpserv as a client program.
In the web interface, log in as administrator, it's 7 or 8 zeroes as the password.
Then go to the scan tab and see if it will allow you to set up a key. under scan type, it should allow you to drop-down the choice of 'file' as opposed to 'g3'. If not, then you don't have the option installed.
PS: do NOT mess with firmware unless you're having some serious functional problem with the machine. Even then, that's something best left to a qualified technician. You can PM me if you have more questions about the machine, since I'm factory trained/cert'ed on it.

crimsondrac
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
There is no scan option at all, period. Nothing, nada, zilch. I know It has a scanner because when I log into the web interface, the info screen shows it is installed. But the options to configure the network, the email server and the scanner are missing. I am sure it has to do with the SW Settings, but I can not find a service manual or any info on it.

Guess I do not understand why this industry is so tight liped on everything. I have been working on PCs for almost 20 years and if the PC industry was this hush-hush, we would all still be on 286's, running DOS. All copiers are now a days are specific use PCs with a proprietary OS that no one wants to talk about. Just push the buttons and smile.

mjunkaged
01-20-2011, 03:49 PM
You're right, it probably has no scan option at all. I also need to correct myself, there is no twain scanning either. The scanner showing as available is misleading.
The scanner option just isn't installed. But if you have a network port, you must at least have network printing, so that's something.
As far as our industry being 'tight-lipped', NEC is one of the most customer-friendly brands there are. You can call tech. support directly and they'll help you even if you're not a dealer. All their drivers for your machine are at dsd.necunified.com as well.

crimsondrac
01-20-2011, 05:34 PM
No, there is a scan card installed. I have opened up the panel on the back to verify. I found instructions on how to install the scan card so I followed it to see if the card was there. It is.

mjunkaged
01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Did you physically read the label on the card? The print only and the print + scan and the print + scan + ipscanner option cards all look the same, and fit in the same slot. If the menus are still missing you may have a blown card. NEC's tech. support is 800-232-9632 but I'd make sure you have a working card before calling. You can try to reseat the card as well. Be sure and take anti-static precautions so as not to blow out the card or the main board.

Custom Search