PDA

View Full Version : Di470 ??

Custom Search

adm22
12-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I recently purchased a second hand Minolta diala Di 470 copier. Came with no manuals and Have a few questions about it. This replaced an older Sharp analogue copier that was deemed unrepairable by the service guy.

1) according to info that I found online about this copier it can be used as a printer with a computer. Even more amazing it said it will work on my computer since it says it will work with Mac OS 7.5.2 or higher. I have a Powerbook G3 that runs 9.2.2 and have never been able to use it to print anything since every printer I have seen for sale requires one to have OS X- the programme I use for my b usiness will not run on X- I tried. But I digress. How does one connect the computer to the copier and where does one procure the cables and whatever else one needs to accomplish this task?

2) This also came with a slide away component that is used for stapling and hole punching. I have no use for these functions and have had pages jam where the two units join together- there is a slight incline on the floor and they do not match up perfectly. Discovered if one disconnects the cable that attaches the two units the copier performs properly but the pages fall on the floor. Is there somewhere one can get something more elegant than a box taped to the side of copier to let the copies fall into?

3) The auto feed on top of the machine says there is a misfeed as soon as you put any pages in the feed section. I have found no misfeed or jammed paper anywhere so wondering what causes this message and how to get rid of it?

I called the number of the place who put the sticker on the front of the machine and they told me that this was not a model in current production and although they were not rude. It was obvious that they did not want any business from me telling me to find someone else to help me. In the past I did do some work on the old copier such as changing out the drum and cleaning blade.

I am located in the People's Republic of Illinois where our governors make our licence plates. Thanks in advance for any help /advise.

fixthecopier
12-28-2010, 09:56 PM
1, It will only print if it came with a print controller
2. If your finisher jam come from uneven floor, put a piece of plywood under it, or a table high enough to catch the paper beside it.
3, If the doc feed shows a jam, there is most likely a small piece of something holding down an actuator in the doc feed.

If you are going to wing it, you better buy some manuals.

As far as no service, I guess the poor economy has not hit your dealerships yet cause we would jump at the chance to take your money. We still have a bunch of these in the field under contract.

EarthKmTech
12-28-2010, 10:23 PM
been a long time since i saw one of these old machines now.

There is a place for an entire document to hide, under the ADF there are the white nylon spring loaded pressure rollers, you can pull these back ever so slightly and have a look in there. Thats where i used to always find mysterious jams.

I remember seeing 2 versions of print controller - the one that is fully self contained in the back of the MFP with a network port on the machine, and the other I saw was a video interface in the back of the MFP and an external fiery. Standard they came with nothing.

I remember having to reseat the internal version for mysterious scanning issues. never had any issues at all with the fiery version other than the occasional reload.

adm22
12-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the advise.

Learned that this unit does not have the print controller. Can these be added after the fact or is t something that had to be installed at the factory? If it can be added after the fact where can one get one and is there a specific type one needs? One reason I picked this over another copier was the fact that it might be able to print. It is somehwat a pain to transfer files I need printed from my MAc to my apple II and print them on an old Imagewriter.

Figured out a way to attach the paper tray from the old copier to the new one using a couple screws that do not impede operation and actually looks OK.

Did a through exam of the rollers and everywhere else I could look in the document feeder and saw nothing. May try diassembling it to see if anything is there although wondering if whatever it is that detects a paper jam may have gone bad.

minimerlin
12-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Have a look at the exit area of the Doc feeder, there is a flag for the exit sensor that is quite hard to see unless you know where it is! It is easy for a scrap of paper to get stuck there. If you take the front cover off the feeder you will see two circular plates with raised edges that are held by one screw each. These plates are part of the pins that hold two sets of guide rollers into place. If you take the pins out you will be able to free these units but be careful to remember how you took them out! YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO PUT THEM BACK!! Look into the areas that are hidden by these units and you should see the actuator and maybe your problem?

As to the print controller, I doubt if you will find one now as it is an old copier!

907tec
12-30-2010, 07:02 PM
The doc feeder on this model is pretty easy to open up, you should have no problem taking off the covers to get a better look. Before you do that, though: this is an older model, with its own share of quirks. I still have several of these in the field, and have noticed that the old-fashioned "turn off, unplug, plug in again, turn on" method works well. Try turning off the machine, unplugging the ADF cable to the main body, and then waiting a few second before plugging it back in and repowering the machine. Sounds silly, but I have had these machines stubbornly hold on to a misfeed message, though all sensors are in proper positions.

Also, I might have a print controller for this machine in my warehouse. If I do have one, it would be the internal controller, and likely to be used. Get ahold of me if you end up needing one.

Hansoon
12-30-2010, 08:29 PM
This embedded controller Pi-4700 (NOT Pi-5501) needs the extra 32mb memory chip to be installed in the optics section and also the special power harness to hook it up in the machine to operate

Hans

adm22
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I did manage to get the doc feeder working. Took it almost all the way apart and found
a small circle of paper that appeared to be what you would get by punching a hole for a 3 ring binder. Also amazingly got it all back togerther and working. Every other paper jam I have seen has been a whole piece of paper or a good chunk of one.

I am interested in a print controller if that is what is needed to work as a printer and it will work with my G3 Powerbook Mac and the price is not too outrageous. If you ccant find the one you belive you have any ideas of where else one could get this and if there is a specific model number for it to search for?

I thought this copier was a fairly new one. Think the only tech thing I have that is newer is my cell phone since verizon made me downgrade from analogue to digital a couple of years ago.

The doc feeder on this model is pretty easy to open up, you should have no problem taking off the covers to get a better look. Before you do that, though: this is an older model, with its own share of quirks. I still have several of these in the field, and have noticed that the old-fashioned "turn off, unplug, plug in again, turn on" method works well. Try turning off the machine, unplugging the ADF cable to the main body, and then waiting a few second before plugging it back in and repowering the machine. Sounds silly, but I have had these machines stubbornly hold on to a misfeed message, though all sensors are in proper positions.

Also, I might have a print controller for this machine in my warehouse. If I do have one, it would be the internal controller, and likely to be used. Get ahold of me if you end up needing one.

907tec
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I am certain that I have the print controller, but will have to search for the additional memory that is required. I will send you a PM when I get back to my office. As Hans pointed out, you will require the PI4700 print controller as well as the M32-2 memory upgrade.

adm22
02-09-2011, 03:58 AM
I am certain that I have the print controller, but will have to search for the additional memory that is required. I will send you a PM when I get back to my office. As Hans pointed out, you will require the PI4700 print controller as well as the M32-2 memory upgrade.

Were you ever able to find this? Never heard anything back from you on it. I am still interested.

adm22
04-29-2011, 12:37 PM
I have never heard anything back from 907tec and was wondering if anyone else has anyidea where one can get one of these controller cards and memory chips?

Custom Search