PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a bizhub 423 series to a wireless network. What is required?

Custom Search

kaleidoscope
02-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi all.

A client of ours need to connect a bizhub 423 series machine to his wireless network. Can you please give me advice on how this can be done? Do we need to install the EK-604 for him and get a wireless print server that can connect via USB to the machine?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

ineo+6501
02-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Europe have now released wireless options for the whole range of office machines. The attached is from DEVELOP but the same applies to the bizhub machines.
Contact your local KM rep for options in your area.

BIG PAPA
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Setup a wireless print server.

RRodgers
02-02-2011, 02:39 PM
I've used Buffalo's wireless bridge with lots of success.

here is a link
Amazon.com: Buffalo Technology AirStation Turbo G High Power Wireless Ethernet Converter ( WLI-TX4-G54HP ): Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-AirStation-Converter-WLI-TX4-G54HP/dp/B000BNDEZY)

Stirton.M
02-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Dlinks sell wireless print servers for decent coin and do the trick too...

D-Link RangeBooster G 4-Port Multifunction USB Print Server at Memory Express Computers (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX14360%28ME%29.aspx)

kaleidoscope
02-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Thx for the help.

aesthetics1
02-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I think the print servers are grossly overpriced. You can buy nearly any cheap wireless router and turn it into a wireless bridge with DD-WRT or a similar custom firmware. Not to mention a lot of the wireless print servers use USB, which in some cases prohibits you from accessing the web interface.

Most wireless print servers will tend to drop off the network on a pretty consistent basis, just as a cheap home router will crash and lose your internet connection. Save yourself some time and some headaches and pick up something in the 40-50 range that can run DD-WRT, bridge it, and call it a day!.. You won't need any additional options for the machine.

Alternatively, I believe the new machines also are capable of bluetooth printing..

Stirton.M
02-04-2011, 01:13 AM
KM C360 and the C452-652 series have bluetooth as an option, but the range of this technology is extremely limited, as is the bandwidth. Useful for PDA/Cellphone connectivity, but not much else.

Stirton.M
02-04-2011, 01:32 AM
I think the print servers are grossly overpriced. You can buy nearly any cheap wireless router and turn it into a wireless bridge with DD-WRT or a similar custom firmware. Not to mention a lot of the wireless print servers use USB, which in some cases prohibits you from accessing the web interface.

Most wireless print servers will tend to drop off the network on a pretty consistent basis, just as a cheap home router will crash and lose your internet connection. Save yourself some time and some headaches and pick up something in the 40-50 range that can run DD-WRT, bridge it, and call it a day!.. You won't need any additional options for the machine.

Alternatively, I believe the new machines also are capable of bluetooth printing..

Nuts, I linked to the wrong device, we have a couple of these out in the field and they are reliable in that I have yet to have any complaints from the end users. The place I bought from before does not sell these anymore it seems. D-Link 4-Port Broadband Router Plus USB Print Server (http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DI-604UP)

A third company however, has an older device that they bought themselves, a wireless bridge to be exact, that has consistently given them trouble. Unfortunate for them that they are not willing to spend money on a better unit.

I use a Linksys WRT160N at home that could easily do the job as a wireless PS. But instead, I have it for internet instead. I have a Samsung wireless laser printer that works quite well with it with the exception that the printer likes to go into sleep mode and drops the connection and ignores print jobs sent to it. Minor inconvenience, I could turn off sleep mode I suppose. But tapping the power button is not that hard to do to get it printing. It would be an annoyance in an office environment I am sure.

teasea
02-04-2011, 04:11 PM
We have used many Linksys Wireless bridges to connect KMBS MFPs to wireless networks. They have performed fairly well. Sometimes they have to power cycled like any wireless device.

aesthetics1
02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Nuts, I linked to the wrong device, we have a couple of these out in the field and they are reliable in that I have yet to have any complaints from the end users. The place I bought from before does not sell these anymore it seems. D-Link 4-Port Broadband Router Plus USB Print Server (http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DI-604UP)

A third company however, has an older device that they bought themselves, a wireless bridge to be exact, that has consistently given them trouble. Unfortunate for them that they are not willing to spend money on a better unit.

I use a Linksys WRT160N at home that could easily do the job as a wireless PS. But instead, I have it for internet instead. I have a Samsung wireless laser printer that works quite well with it with the exception that the printer likes to go into sleep mode and drops the connection and ignores print jobs sent to it. Minor inconvenience, I could turn off sleep mode I suppose. But tapping the power button is not that hard to do to get it printing. It would be an annoyance in an office environment I am sure.

Some of the print servers actually do what they're supposed to reliably!.. I use a WRT600n at home, as well as our main router here at the office with DDWRT and neither of them have ever had to be reset.

The problem with the newer router/print server/etc devices is typically overheating issues - most won't be responsive through the web interface at all when this happens.

pepper38_cnd
02-06-2011, 09:56 PM
You can use any wireless bridge. But I recommend you try a wireless gaming adapter, most are extremely easy to set up and allow all features that a wired connection would including scanning. Here is one I use at home for my printer and satellite TV receiver. I also take this along with my Voip modem when I go on vacation so I have my home phone along with me as long as I have wireless connection. Buy the TRENDnet TEW-687GA 450Mbps Wireless N Gaming Adapt at TigerDirect.ca (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7210581&CatId=2688)

Custom Search