PDA

View Full Version : Print to C360 from DOS

Custom Search

swt
02-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Hello,

our latest request for help relates to printing to a C360 from dos as a first step to print from an older finance package.

I've set the printer up using the net use command and can send a job to the printer from dos ok but, from the error on the machine, it looks like it's not transferring the authentication code (account track auth error).

The printer is using C360SeriesPCL driver.

Are we asking for too much in trying to print to this machine from dos?

mo0651
02-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Where in DOS can you put the authentication code?

swt
02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Where in DOS can you put the authentication code?

I've no idea as I'm no expert in DOS.

oldschool
02-14-2011, 03:02 PM
When yous say the "The printer is using C360SeriesPCL driver" does that mean you installed a dos version of this driver? Dos programs used to have their own drivers. Not one for the entire OS.
I have a suggestion, We have some older DOS based programs that did not have the proper drivers for a newer printer. Our work around was to print postscript files and convert them to PDFs. We used Adobe distiller to convert the postscript files. Then you can print from a more up to date OS.

swt
02-14-2011, 03:21 PM
No separate DOS driver - just the same PCL6 driver that was set up on the server for normal printing from Windows.

The software supplier suggested we configure basic printing from DOS on the PC in question before trying to print from the application.

Any guidance on how to set up a specific DOS driver for the C360 - if that is possible?

We also have access to a Bizhub 601 should that be a better option.

oldschool
02-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Is this a DOS OS or a DOS program running in XP in compatibility mode?

swt
02-14-2011, 03:53 PM
It's a program that runs on a standard XP Pro machine linked to a SQL 2000 database. I believe the version we are using was written before Windows was printer aware.

ineo+6501
02-14-2011, 03:57 PM
If it's just the authentication thats stopping the job, you can set the copier to "Print Without Authentication" in the "User Authentication/Account Track" section of Admin Settings screen.
You will need to turn off "Auto-Obtain" and "Account Track" or "User Authentication" in the configure tab on the print driver properties.

swt
02-14-2011, 04:16 PM
...you can set the copier to "Print Without Authentication"...
Won't this apply to all users though? We only want to print from DOS on two XP machines but still need to track usage for other users.

oldschool
02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Have you tried another generic driver like an HP laserjet 4 PCL driver?

ineo+6501
02-14-2011, 04:47 PM
If the driver is server based, add a second install of the driver with the above settings and call it "C360 DOS" or whatever and then share it with just the users who need to print from DOS.
Or alternatively, install the driver locally on the 2 workstations and set the same settings.

As long as you turn off "Auto-Obtain" and turn on "User Authentication" or "Account Track" on the widely used driver the others should be able to operate as normal.
I have used this method myself with great success.

SalesServiceGuy
02-14-2011, 04:48 PM
As OldSchool suggests, your only hope is to ue an old HP driver pointed at the same IP address as the C360.

You will lose all of the advanced features of the MFP except maybe paper tray selection.

swt
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
As long as you turn off "Auto-Obtain"
I can't find this option. I've set the machine to allow printing without authentication but Device Options in Configure tab on the driver are greyed out.

acusso1234
02-14-2011, 08:32 PM
During the installation of the driver on the server, the wizard say you that if you use a share name too long for the printer, maybe you will no able to use dos utilities...

ineo+6501
02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Look in the "Configure" tab, "Aquire Settings", untick "Auto".

swt
02-15-2011, 09:21 AM
acusso1234 - the name is just 7 characters to comply.

ineo+6501 - I found the option to untick Auto and can now print :D but the 1-page test document prints 28 pages of 'gobbledygook' :confused:.

I'm hoping there's just another setting to change given we're so close?

BIG PAPA
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
A different driver will not solve your issue. I would say that it is not possible, as you can not access the advanced portion of the driver to input access codes. so any information that gets sent to the machine will not authenticate and will be deleted. With this program, as was asked earlier, can it be set to output to file, pdf etc... so that file could be printed from windows?

swt
02-16-2011, 08:53 AM
With this program, as was asked earlier, can it be set to output to file, pdf etc... so that file could be printed from windows?
Sorry I've not replied to that earlier. I doubt it given the age of the software but will check with the supplier.

So - will the 'Allow printing without authentication' setting on the printer not allow printing from DOS without having to input an access code?

ineo+6501
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Sounds like you are printing now using the "print without authentication" function, but the gobbledygook is a sign that the machine doesn't like the data being sent to print.
You may have to resort to what the other guys have said and point an old laserjet driver at the copiers IP. You won't be able to double-side etc but it should print.

Or you could use a free PDF creator such as easyPDF. This will be added as a printer and would create a PDF file to be printed from windows. Remains to be seen if it will work from DOS mind.

swt
02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Ok, I'll need to look into the PDF option as the main reason for using the new Konica machine is double-sided printing - staff can print ok to an old HP laserjet. We could upgrade to the latest software version but costs are high.

Many thanks for all the input.

jasonofx
02-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Try installing the post script driver and printing from the DOS program to it. This may clear up the gobbledy-gook issue.

swt
02-17-2011, 04:42 PM
jasonofx - thank you very much!

We're now up and running using the post script driver. Can print from DOS and from the legacy software. I was about to ask users to export to files for printing but this is so much better.

Thanks to all for helping to get this far.

swt

jasonofx
02-17-2011, 04:49 PM
jasonofx - thank you very much!

We're now up and running using the post script driver. Can print from DOS and from the legacy software. I was about to ask users to export to files for printing but this is so much better.

Thanks to all for helping to get this far.

swt

Sweet! Glad it worked, have run into this several times across many different manufacturers.

Custom Search