PDA

View Full Version : 1050EP Broken upper fuser gear - common or freak?

Custom Search

scotsman60
03-19-2011, 07:11 PM
I've just had a failure of the plastic gear on the end of the upper fuser roller on a 1050 EP.

The gear split in two - a section of about one quarter the size completely broke off.

Does anyone know if this is something happens occasionally or is this a freak failure?

I did replace both upper and lower rollers just a couple of weeks ago.

The rollers rotate quite freely by hand - although there is some tightness, once per revolution which I'm assuming is a flat spot on the lower roller caused by the machine sitting with the fuser rollers in the same spot for a couple of days.

I can't see anything obvious that would have caused this gear to get overloaded and fail.

Any ideas?

Doug

totoro
03-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't know if this is common on this model, but I have had the plastic drive gear for the upper fuser roll split on Ricohs, Canons, Xeroxes, Kyocera Mita, and other Konicas, so I would think it is pretty common for the plastic to degrade from all the heat.

bigdcopy
03-19-2011, 10:34 PM
I have a 1050 with 20 Million copies on it and have never replaced the gears. If your machine is not used very much it is possiable that the flat spot in the lower roller is causing a drag in the rotation. If the upper fuser roller is the hard one try putting the soft upper fuser roller in it.

ni311
03-22-2011, 07:24 PM
I believe it is an old EP and not a PRO 1050 :)

eg101
03-22-2011, 09:16 PM
I normally replace the gear when I replace the fuser rollers. It's much easier than going back later in case the gear breaks.

scotsman60
03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
It's a BizHub Pro 1050 EP.

Replacing the gear isn't that hard - so I'm ordering two and keeping one on hand in case it happens again......

acusso1234
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi scotsman, how are you? I'm curios to know how did you fixed the problem of the missing springs in your finisher...

scotsman60
05-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Acusso,

I had the KM tech come out and he diagnosed a broken pulley wheel that the lifting cables run around. We replaced the cables and the broken pulley and it's worked perfectly ever since. I asked him about the heavy helper springs - he'd never seen them before. Maybe they were on a previous design and then deleted?

Anyway, the machine is running just fine right now. I'm running about 600k pieces a month and the 6 million service is coming up.

I really need to get another machine but I have no space - need to wait until my lease is up in a couple of months.

Custom Search