used on the color and 135% on the black. These drums are rated at 200K
prints. The black counter in service has a meter count of 181K and the
colors are at 72K. Does this reflect a shelf life? I usually go by the page
count on the C500.

thanks

DR

racefreak
03-24-2011, 03:01 AM
Not a shelf life but it does count warm up time in that. So when the machine is cut on first thing in the morning, the rotations the drum makes is counted against the percentage. Also, the meter may be set to one click for the billing meter and two for the maintenance meter. This could also account for a major discrepancy.

Desert Rat
03-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Thank you racefreak, I had not remembered to check for the double click thingy.
I will check that out.

Thanks

DR

ni311
03-26-2011, 11:44 AM
One more thing, the life is counted as distance and as page numbers. If you will go in Service Mode -> Counters, you will see that you may have 100 k copies but the percentage to be more than 100%. Usually, around 100 k, thin lines appear and you are running into problems...

Desert Rat
03-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Sounds like the percentage is closer, if problems start to occur at 100K. I would like to think
if a drum is rated for 200K it should do at least 195K before thin lines occur. Of coarse the
paper type will have something to do with that also.

Does the fusing unit usually run closer to the the rated page or the percentage?

DR

bigdcopy
03-26-2011, 10:40 PM
There are a lot of factors which come in to play for how long a machine lasts I have 8 C6500s in my territory if the customer sets the paper settings correctly, runs mostly full color the machine lasts within manufacture limits - coronas seem to be the first thing to go most do not last the recommended 100K - the fuser goes further than recomended, if they run a fair ammount of heavy stock you will need to carry the one way gears in stock (3 of one type, 1 of the other) also the double stack gear that drives the fuser belt. I had one customer that ran 98% black and white duplex 11x17 gloss stock this caused the machine to run dirty eat up coronas (50K), drums (75K), transfer belt (150K), developer (100K), the thing is even though you are running black and white the transfer belt is cammed agenst the drums all the time in modes other than normal paper. The boss finally realized that the customers operating conditions were what was causing the machine to eat up parts and he cancelled the contract (I feel sorry for the tech who has to work on it now). I also replaced the cyan developer unit 3 times, magenta unit 2 times, and the yellow unit 2 times within a total copy count of 600K. I also have a C6500 with 800K and they run it within recommended specs. and it lasts almost 200K to major PM have never replaced the developer units, and machine runs clean (within reason).

ni311
03-27-2011, 11:21 AM
The most changed items in the fusing units are one way gear (3 pcs) and the fusing belt. The good news it that it last more than expected life (200k).

Desert Rat
03-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Bigdcopy,
Thank you for that insight full look at what a difference the job stream makes on part life.
I am new with this machine and an indy. I have always felt that if this is a color machine
it should run mostly color.
Bigdcopy, do you know any details of the service contracts for these machines? I am
looking for a billing method that will now punish me or the customer.

Thanks

DR

copytechman
03-28-2011, 12:29 AM
> bigdcopy, I'm relatively new to these boxes too, which parts are the most likely to fail in the fuser? You mentioned 3 1way gears, and 1 of another? Just recently i've been having a random jamming in fuser issue with one of these boxes and could use a bit of guidance or some part #'s perhaps!

Regards!
A.

bigdcopy
03-28-2011, 04:15 AM
I work for a dealer and do not handle contracts and costing I just fix them.

I carry the following gears in my car stock
3 A03U809311 one way gear (this gear has been modified from the one in the parts book and does last longer)
1 A03U808201 one way gear
1 A03U808600 gear
1 A03U809500 gear

There is a slide above the exit of the fuser I recomend that it stays in the center position for most stocks and sizes if they run heavier 12x18 or 13x19 put in in the far right position I have found little use for it to be in the far left position.

When I have a jamming issue or fuser drive codes I replace all 4 one way gears at the same time. I have found that if you try to save money by analyisying which gear it is causing the imeadiate problem you will more than likely be back soon to replace another gear. The other 2 gears are ones that I have noticed strip out often.

Again the most problem with the fuser drive comes from customers running a large ammount of heavy stock. The machine will do it but things will wear out more often.

Desert Rat
03-28-2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks Bigdcopy, I will get a set of those gears. I saw the jam log had a lot of the same code.
I have yet to define the codes. From what your saying I bet I'm going to find a lot of those
codes will be fuser related.

I am installing a C6500 in the next couple of days. I have it set up in the shop right now. It is
giving me a message to check the power cord and close finisher door on RU unit. It is plugged
in and the door was installed. I held the interlock with my finger and it still gave the same
message. I have followed the install instructions. I've heard it is kinda tricky to install the
door and get the interlock to work properly.

DR

copytechman
03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks bigdcopy I too will order those gears! Best regards!
A.

Desert Rat
03-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Ok, I got the last problem fixed (check power lead and close finisher door on RU unit). It turned out that there is a
relay inside the power box. The connector had been pushed off and the pins were bent. Straighten it out and
re connect and the messages went away. But the Icon for the punch feature on the control panel is not
selectable yet.
Does this mean that it is has not been enabled?

Thanks

DR

Desert Rat
03-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Silly me, the RU 504 is a relay unit not a Hole punch unit.

DR

Desert Rat
03-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Is there a part number for just a corona wire on this model or will the Pro C500 corona wire work ok?

DR

bigdcopy
03-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Don't use C500 coronas on the C6500 series they will not last and they can cause copy quality problems however you can use the C6500 coronas on the C500 I can't stress it enough don't cut corners on the C6500 series you will cause yourself problems. They are a much better machine than the C500 if treated right.

Desert Rat
03-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for that advice. I have a 100K and a 200K pm kits coming in today. I hope the chargers in the
100K kit are complete with corona's.

Thanks

DR

Custom Search