PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Green Konica c500 Fiery scans

Custom Search

henry finley
03-27-2011, 10:26 PM
My imports into Photoshop are all green. The whole page has a strong green tint to it. This is a Konica c500 and s300 Fiery running version 2 software. When I put a sheet on the platen, save it to HDD and then import it, it's all green. But regular photocopying on the Konica is normal. How can 1 be good, but not the other? It's the same scanner. Why is everything green?
Thank you.

KenB
03-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Are prints OK?

Turn off the C500 and Fiery, then reseat the interface cable that goes between the two, checking for bent pins.

If printing is OK, there is a chance that you have an out-of-whack scanning profile loaded that's messing with you.

Barring any cable malfunctions or funky settings, your next step would be to re-image the Fiery.

henry finley
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Boy, that was a quick reply. But that answers some questions. Yes, prints are OK, but I've had a heck of a time with this Fiery ever since I got it. Every time I unhook the 2 machines from each other, EVEN WHEN BOTH ARE OFF, and re-hook them, the Fiery did not like that at all and gets stuck trying to initialize when I turn it on. I've had to buy the software discs and re-load them repeatedly every time I touch the machine. And where the cable plugs into the printer, it does not have that "solid connection" feel. Kinda sloppy and wobbly. So.... the cable's bad, huh? Could that actually be all there is to it?

KenB
03-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Very possibly.

The bad news is that the cable is, shall we say, costly?

Perhaps you can find one for sale on this site from someone who has one hangin' around.

Are you sure that the sloppy part isn't the connector in the printer, rather than the cable? It would be a shame to invest in a new cable if that's not it.

If the cable ends are the same, you should be able to flip it end-for-end (an age-old Fiery trick). That has been known to fix various issues, if even only temporarily.

henry finley
03-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Well, heck--that wasn't it. I thought for sure your advice would work. Cannot flip the cable--it has screws on one end and clips on the other. But I took it off and examined everything, and it all looked good and straight. And this time, use my fingernail to force the clips at the printer end to grab the little hooks to keep it tight. But still, the scans are all green when I acquire them into photoshop. But as much trouble as this stuff has been, and through all the self-taught repair work I've had to do, if I just can't scan off it, then I'm still ahead from when I just had the printing presses to rely on.
This digital equipment is as high-maintenance and demanding as a high price prostitute. But when it's working pretty, a half million dollar Heidelberg can't beat it.

henry finley
03-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Here's what I don't understand--I cannot import a twain into photoshop like my cheap regular scanner does. I have to go to the c500 and hit the scan button to the left of the print button, and save it to a mailbox, then go to photoshop and acquire it. And it's all green. I wish I could figure out how to do it like I do with my cheap Microtek scanner--just scan into photoshop sitting right here at the computer.

KenB
03-28-2011, 01:20 AM
I was hoping that the cable ends were the same for you - guess not. (Actually, most of them aren't anymore.)

Have you tried using the Fiery Scan Tool, (set to "Initiate") to download a file directly to your desktop? That would eliminate any issues with Photoshop.

henry finley
03-28-2011, 02:03 AM
What Fiery scan tool? I do not want to come off as ignorant--I've had this machinery for 6 months, many error messages, many Fiery issues, and I've licked them all. But there is no "Fiery scan tool" that I know of. All I know it that in photoshop, you choose file>import>Fiery Remote scan 5, and it brings up a dialog box with one lone tab in it saying "retrieve", and a mailbox number to type in. That's after I go to the printer and put it in scan mode, and scan something to HDD and assign it a mailbox number. That's all there is. Now I have gotten to the Fiery through Internet Explorer and the IP address routing to get to "Web Tools", but the scan is still all green. BTW--for all your time here, I'm grateful. Thanks, friend---HTF

KenB
03-28-2011, 02:25 AM
You're welcome!

"Fiery Remote Scan" is part of the "Fiery Scan Tool".

Here's a link to it on the Ricoh download page: http://www.ricoh-usa.com/downloads/popup/popup_manuals_drivers_download.aspx?path=http%3a%2 f%2fsupport.ricoh.com%2fbb%2fhtml%2fdr_ut_e%2frc2% 2fmodel%2fe_7200%2fe_7200en.htm

It's 126mb, so it's just a tad too big to post.

(Ricoh or Konica - it doesn't matter. A Fiery is a Fiery.)

Worth a try!

henry finley
03-28-2011, 03:26 AM
I thank you. But I already had the Remote Scan 5 as part of the Command Workstation 5 I had already gotten from EFI site. That's what I've been talking about. In photoshop, its dialog box only has 1 tab which says "Acquire". It's talking about acquiring a scan initiated at the printer in scan mode, and saved to the HD. Then I acquire it and it's green. What gets me it that there's only the one tab in the dialog box ("Acquire"). There ought to be more tabs, but there's not. It was the same way when I had the Workstation 4 version also.
I'd still like to know what I'd have if I were to reverse the cable like you said. But I'd have to open on the Fiery and find a way from getting the female screw thread posts out of the SCSI card, so the clips on the other end of the cable wouldn't be blocking it from being plugged in.
I have a buddy who said obviously the printer isn't twain-supported, and that's why there's no ability to deal with it like my ordinary cheap scanner.
As bad as I've had it repairing all my troubles with this equipment, I ought to be glad all I can't do is scan. It'd be nice, but I can live without it. Thx, friend.

AjitN
03-28-2011, 03:43 AM
Henry
Try using another imaging software like Corel draw, Adobe acrobat etc.
May be some files in photoshop are not in order or correpted,
Its worth trying.
Best Luck
Ajit

KenB
03-28-2011, 03:48 AM
There is a very goo piece of freeware called Irfanview.

Small, but mighty.

You can find it at: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide (http://www.irfanview.com)

It's my favorite testing tool!

henry finley
03-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Thank you for the neat little program. Ought to be real nice just doing a little something without having to fool with photoshop when you don't need all that. Though it was still useless to the green scan problem.

Custom Search