PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Minolta Di 251 Network Installation ?

Custom Search

sakisaki
03-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Hello ,
My name is Sami. I have a old Copier printer Minolta Di 251. I have been trying to install it on my network but for some reason it is not working.

I have a router and my printer di 251 is connected to my router and the IP address of my router is 192.168.0.1
So with network cable i have given connection from router to printer. The IP of printer is 192.168.0.160 default gateway is 192.168.0.1 and Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.
I dont know where to give DNS address i think i dont really need it.
I downloaded driver from the Konica Website and i tried to install it with TCP/IP option it didnt work. Somehow i cant even ping my printer.

I want to install it this printer through network. I tried many things but its not working maybe i am making some tiny mistake maybe anyone here can help me.

I have window XP PRO on my laptop.

thanks in advance

aesthetics1
03-31-2011, 09:56 PM
The network cards on those models have a tendency to die. If you can't ping it and you are sure your network is set up correctly, I would assume the machine's NIC needs to be replaced. Does the machine print a start page? Have you tried connecting directly with a crossover cable from your PC to the copier with a simple static network?

sakisaki
03-31-2011, 10:16 PM
The network cards on those models have a tendency to die. If you can't ping it and you are sure your network is set up correctly, I would assume the machine's NIC needs to be replaced. Does the machine print a start page? Have you tried connecting directly with a crossover cable from your PC to the copier with a simple static network?

well the way it looks its not very hard to set it up !! in my printer i went into network setting and there i gave the ip which is 102.168.0.160 and default gateway ( my router address which is 192.168.0.1) and subnet which is 255.255.255.0 then i saved the settings and restart my machine and it printed some informational page where it says my ip gateway and all that stuff.

Now my printer is connected to my ROUTER and not directly to my Computer.
So through that i tried to install it through TCP/IP and i downloaded the drivers from the minolta website and they look fine to me and it even says READY in my printers page but when i send test page nothing happens.
If that model is dead then is there a way to be sure that its dead? if not then how should i proceed if i want to install it through ROUTER and not directly
and i dont really know how should i do it with crossover?

I mean do i have to change ip ? and how should i install the driver through TCP/IP? or is there another way?

or any detailed manual or something ? i have a manual from Di 251 but it says nothing about printer controller or network printing so thats why i am here.

and please if you can explain me a little about static network as well

thanks

aesthetics1
03-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, the way to check whether or not the NIC is dead is to, as I said, connect with a crossover cable directly to the printer and test your ping on a continuous loop. The command would be, in this example:

ping 192.168.0.160 -t

the -t will cause a continuous ping. Sometimes when they are failed/failing they will respond intermittently, and other times time-out. In order to stop the command once you're satisfied, hit CTRL+C on your keyboard.

What I mean by a static network is setting a static address on the computer that you hook up to it via crossover, seeing as there will be no router to hand out a DHCP address.

I'm also wondering if you're using the correct method to install the printer on your PC.

Most people get confused by the "network printer" vs "local printer" option in the windows setup.

Make sure you are selecting Local printer, and setting up a new port (standard TCP/IP) using the IP address for the port info.

I haven't dealt with one of these in a while, but I believe you may have to also configure the port as LPR with a 'print' queue instead of RAW with the default port 9100.

Try a few of these out and report back - be glad to help you figure this out.

sakisaki
03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Yes, the way to check whether or not the NIC is dead is to, as I said, connect with a crossover cable directly to the printer and test your ping on a continuous loop. The command would be, in this example:

ping 192.168.0.160 -t

the -t will cause a continuous ping. Sometimes when they are failed/failing they will respond intermittently, and other times time-out. In order to stop the command once you're satisfied, hit CTRL+C on your keyboard.

What I mean by a static network is setting a static address on the computer that you hook up to it via crossover, seeing as there will be no router to hand out a DHCP address.

I'm also wondering if you're using the correct method to install the printer on your PC.

Most people get confused by the "network printer" vs "local printer" option in the windows setup.

Make sure you are selecting Local printer, and setting up a new port (standard TCP/IP) using the IP address for the port info.

I haven't dealt with one of these in a while, but I believe you may have to also configure the port as LPR with a 'print' queue instead of RAW with the default port 9100.

Try a few of these out and report back - be glad to help you figure this out.

so connect my laptop and printer directly with crossover cable and just give in cmd that command and if it fails means that controller is dead?

sakisaki
03-31-2011, 10:41 PM
ok i tried crossover method and its saying time out the whole time !!

and yes i chose LOCAL printer exactly the way you just said !! but that port number i never gave it anywhere that port number option never came !!

i went in my printers add new printer thn local printer thn chose TCP/IP thn it asks for some information and i gave exactly the same information you told me !! but there was a router involved then shall i try this method with cross over? but port 9100 where should i put that info ? there is no option for that

my laptop ip is 192.168.0.154
which is connected with my router through Wlan.
I just took the cross over cable and connected my laptop and printer.
Do i have to change some IP through my laptop as well ?

aleksander
04-01-2011, 08:58 AM
For Di351/251 don't use RAW port 9100, but you must use RAW port 10001.
Follow my instruction.
You can right click on Di351/251 icon in printers & faxes, choose properties. Then click tab Ports, choose the IP port and click configure port... Then choose Raw for protocol (don't use/choose LPR port) and change port number in Raw setting to 10001 (don't use port 9100).
For Di351/251 you must wait approximately 5 minutes after turn on the main power for using this device as a printer.
I hope my answer can solve your problem. If still doesn't work, tell me.

sakisaki
04-01-2011, 12:41 PM
For Di351/251 don't use RAW port 9100, but you must use RAW port 10001.
Follow my instruction.
You can right click on Di351/251 icon in printers & faxes, choose properties. Then click tab Ports, choose the IP port and click configure port... Then choose Raw for protocol (don't use/choose LPR port) and change port number in Raw setting to 10001 (don't use port 9100).
For Di351/251 you must wait approximately 5 minutes after turn on the main power for using this device as a printer.
I hope my answer can solve your problem. If still doesn't work, tell me.

ok i will try this !! but a question shall i do it with direct computer to printer with CROSS OVER cable or with router?

aesthetics1
04-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Yes if you're using a crossover you have to manually set your laptop's IP address, as I said in my last post.

Are you an end-user or a technician?

There's a high chance your NIC card is dead if you can't ping through the router or through your crossover cable with your laptop configured correctly. I suggest googling the steps for setting your IP address on your laptop to be in the range of your copier's nic.

aleksander
04-04-2011, 04:28 AM
If you're using direct connection from your laptop/PC to your MFP/printer without router/hub/switch, of course you have to use CROSS OVER cable. If you're using Router/Switch, you must use STRAIGHT cable.

Custom Search