PDA

View Full Version : BizHub di3510 Network Scanning help needed!

Custom Search

Thinkster
04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
One of my customers recently purchased this unit used from another office that was closing without consulting me first. She bought it with intent to be able to scan documents to various computers in the office. I configured the network settings and got printing to work no problem from all computers in the office, however, I downloaded the TWAIN driver and just get an error message in Acrobat Pro when selecting that scan device which pretty much means the driver does not "see" the unit over the network.
A workaround would be for me to setup shared folders and Scan to SMB but I don't see that option anywhere in this unit's GUI! Does this model not support it or do I need a firmware upgrade or ?? How can I make scanning over the network work without using e-mail or FTP?
Konica-Minolta support told me to try the IP Scaner utility, but I can't find that on their website!

mo0651
04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Do you have the SU-2 or SU-3 Scan chip installed? it was an option on this model.

Thinkster
04-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Do you have the SU-2 or SU-3 Scan chip installed? it was an option on this model.

How Can I tell? Is there something in the GUI that will indicate that or do I have to open it up to check?

aesthetics1
04-26-2011, 11:27 PM
If you can touch scan on this unit (not the di3510f right?) typically the scan chip is installed if memory serves me right.

First of all, There is no SMB option on this machine. You will need to use SMTP (machine supports essentially everything except for SSL), or FTP (which is much easier than you're thinking it is).

As for TWAIN scanning, the machine needs to have the SU2/3, and the hard drive, which is unlikely.

I recommend using the FTP utility provided by Konica Minolta, or scan to e-mail. I think you may be overthinking FTP scanning, as it is as simple as installing the program, pointing it to the client's directory of choice, and setting up a static IP address on the machine (or using hostnames if a DNS server is available on the network.) Extremely easy. If you need help setting this up, let us know!

Thinkster
04-27-2011, 05:20 AM
If you can touch scan on this unit (not the di3510f right?) typically the scan chip is installed if memory serves me right.

First of all, There is no SMB option on this machine. You will need to use SMTP (machine supports essentially everything except for SSL), or FTP (which is much easier than you're thinking it is).

As for TWAIN scanning, the machine needs to have the SU2/3, and the hard drive, which is unlikely.

I recommend using the FTP utility provided by Konica Minolta, or scan to e-mail. I think you may be overthinking FTP scanning, as it is as simple as installing the program, pointing it to the client's directory of choice, and setting up a static IP address on the machine (or using hostnames if a DNS server is available on the network.) Extremely easy. If you need help setting this up, let us know!

I explained to the customer the option of scanning to e-mail but they weren't to fond of that solution as they had already purchased Adobe Acrobat Pro which supports TWAIN scanning. If I can setup each of the 3 or 4 "community" machines have their own FTP server running, that might be acceptable, but I'm not quite sure how to do that or if the unit will support scanning to more then one FTP server.

I doubt also that the unit has the SU2 or SU3 card and Hard Drive. Wish I could have told them the model to get that natively supports what they want to do instead of them assuming it just cause it has a Scan button.

Thinkster
04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Well, looks like the ideal method (Network Twain Scanning) is not possible with this unit without them spending some $$$, so I was able to successfully setup IIS/FTP Services in Windows and create "FTP Sites" on each of the computers. Then somehow through the unintuitive GUI, I was able to create One-Touch buttons for each of the computers. The home folder for the FTP site on each computer was C:\Scans. So after all was said and done, the unit is now scanning as PDF to computers much like SMB scanning works (but more complicated setup).

aesthetics1
04-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Thinkster, glad to hear you got it set up.

As I said in my previous post, you should look into FTP Utility. You wouldn't have had to mess around with IIS and could have similar results in a fraction of the time. It takes less than a minute for me to set these up. Once you get into the routine, I think you'll find it's a much easier method than SMB is.

Not to mention SMB can 'break' in the future with new employees when usernames/passwords change. Ideally you would want to create a 'copier' account in active directory with permissions across the network, but not every account you will go to will have a domain controller (ie: luxury for us). FTP is set it and forget it once you have created the proper firewall exceptions. The utility is also set to open on startup, and sits in the system tray so it doesn't pop up and notify the users.

Thinkster
04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Well for future use, where would I find that FTP utility? Do you have a link or is it on the CD that comes with the unit?
I am very familiar with Networking and domain controllers, etc. so luckily it wasn't hard for me to setup using the built in FTP server on Windows XP. This office has no domain or server, just individual machines and a router.

aesthetics1
04-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Sent you a PM with the link - It's available if you have a KM account, but not to the public.

AlSyed
11-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Very nice and helpful replies from you aesthetics1. I also have a Di3510f for years and this morning I setup FTP scanning. I have another copier to setup today. Wondering do I need the SU-2 or SU-3 Scan chip installed on the other when I am setting it up with FTP Utility? Its 2017 and may not be possible to find the chip. Machine works well and client don't want to invest much of the money in it. Very Kind and High Regards to you ALL.

Custom Search