PDA

View Full Version : Which copier was the biggest piece of crap ever?

Custom Search

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Pantylotion
01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
i loathe this printer.

fireater
01-06-2009, 11:00 PM
You guys make me laugh ... nothing is crappier to work on than a 3511 toshiba. Any machine that takes 6 plus hours to do a full pm on it has to be king

although they DO have good copy (for office colour)

Shadow1
01-06-2009, 11:30 PM
You guys make me laugh ... nothing is crappier to work on than a 3511 toshiba. Any machine that takes 6 plus hours to do a full pm on it has to be king
Is that anything like a FC-22 (which I knew as a Lanier 5722 and then the LC031) All those cheezy plastic pieces inside the drum unit that kept breaking and the "automatic developer dump" that never worked. Wouldn't have been so bad if they designed the drum and dev units to be disposable, but to actually have to rebuild the EPU was as about as fun as smashing my testicles in a clamshell machine (no I didn't, but I did catch my pants leg when a bad shock collapsed - luckily it was running down the other leg...)

Lagonda
01-07-2009, 02:59 AM
For my money it was the IBM 2 , rebadged out here as the Nashua 8120, that was the biggest boat anchor I came across. For a start it was built like a Mack truck and you needed a toolbox full of truck spanners to work on them.
The electronics were so retro-tec I'm surprised it didn't have vacuum tube valves in there.
The fuser was a honey of a design, it slide out on a single rail and split open for servicing with out having to remove it from the copier, but the rest!!!
The dev unit weighed half a ton and wasn't on rails and had to be humped and manhandled clear of the frame and usually squashed your fingers. When you refitted the paper feeds units they had to be shimmed back/front, left/right and up/down to get them into the right place. The main motor was a 3 phase job that needed two guys to pick it up.
The cleaning station was built into the frame and couldn't be removed. To clean it out you had to pull the front end off and reach in up to your armpit with a scotchbrite pad to get all the lumpy toner out. About as much fun as putting your arm up a camels ar$ehole!!!
No wonder IBM almost went broke!!!

jcottingham
01-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I may be dating myself a bit but do any of you all remeber working on wet toner systems? I had 2 particularly smelly jewels that I have almost had the pleasure of erasing from my head. One was a Pitney-Bowes Desktop? copier amd the other was a Micrographix microfilm Reader/printer. Any repair usually included draining the toner and running and scrubbing the toner system with with toner solvent that was messy an would eat through latex gloves. And nylon strips on the guides would eventualy come off and you had to tear the chassis down to replace them. Heaven help you if a guide warped.

leroyal
01-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Are there any Dennison Copier Techs still alive out there except me? 1968-1980.:confused:

mikadonovan
01-08-2009, 08:18 PM
The Mita 6090 was a huge turd. You had as much machine downtime involved by installing "enhancement kits" as you did when it just broke down, which was frequently.

techspec
01-08-2009, 09:56 PM
After this past week I'm adding the Ricoh MP4000/MP5000 to this list:-

Twelve months ago I never thought you could make the NAD based 35/45 cpm engine any worse.

But they haven't half proved me wrong:-

The dev and toner has never been particularly great on this family, but this latest version is shocking,even with the Dev/Charge bias changes you are lucky if you get 50k before it overtones itself to death.

And why oh why did they put an oil web on the fuser? The 3035/3045 didn't have them and didn't particularly suffer for it. More to the point though why did they have to put such a fiddly one on when changing the web in the MP7500 is a five minute job? And why do one in three MP5000 web units have a seized alan screw so you can't get the damn thing apart without taking a hacksaw to it?

Why did they combine the PCU and Dev unit into a single unit, when all this achieves is making the tech spend another five minutes farting around over what he used to spend on a 3045.

I wish I could load every single one of these sh*tboxes into a rocket and fire it into the sun.

I HATE these also, I forgot about mentioning the NAD, but this m/c is horrendous!!!!

redhawkpath
01-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry to all of you toshiba tech....

Been working on the for years and nothin is more frustating or a pain to workon as the Tshiba 311C/211C

Eric1968
01-24-2009, 08:48 PM
The Ricoh Aficio 1224/1232.

I'm a big fan of all other Ricoh products, but this one really sucks.

Modification after modification after modification.......

jayshere
01-29-2009, 11:15 PM
toshiba 3511....revolver machine duster 20 minutes to get anything apart 20 to put it together and it still doesnt work repeat ive gotten good at the but ive wasted so much time on them

aceman
01-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Does anyone remember the old 3M thermal copiers that used pink onion skin paper layed over the thermal paper that ran at a top speed of 3 minutes per copy? Lets not foget the old Xerox 660 which started it all. God they made money on that machine. Back then no one could by a copier, you had to lease it directly from Xerox. It wasn't until their patents started running out at the 17yr mark,then the Jananese entered the market and the rest is history.

sharkie
02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Utax 252

bryanstu
02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
My vote is the Sharp SF7200 & SF760. Great for slicing your fingers and pigs for paper feed and dumping toner. Used to take them to the landfill and spend a couple hours putting 12 gauge slugs through them on a Saturday after we got a trade in. Great stress releaser. Any other manufacturers out there that refused to break the edges on the metal during manufacture? From the machines I have worked on it's Sharp (no pun) followed by Toshiba.

RSCA
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
As I read through these posts it seems that too many of you are not old enough to have experienced a really bad copier. Although, the Mita 513z was pretty bad. There are copier models that their manufacturers will no longer acknowledge existed.

Toshiba BD601 -- Major fire hazard. Many law suits. Before fuser rollers the machines used oven fusing. Those were the good old days.

Panasonic 2520 -- The worst copier ever devised. This machine had updates to fix the problems caused by previous update.

My first training class was Toshiba 728. At the time Toshiba recommended one full time technician for every 125 machines in population. Imagine how we afforded that compared to the digital machines today.

leroyal
02-12-2009, 10:52 PM
As I read through these posts it seems that too many of you are not old enough to have experienced a really bad copier. Although, the Mita 513z was pretty bad. There are copier models that their manufacturers will no longer acknowledge existed.

Toshiba BD601 -- Major fire hazard. Many law suits. Before fuser rollers the machines used oven fusing. Those were the good old days.

Panasonic 2520 -- The worst copier ever devised. This machine had updates to fix the problems caused by previous update.

My first training class was Toshiba 728. At the time Toshiba recommended one full time technician for every 125 machines in population. Imagine how we afforded that compared to the digital machines today.

The only copier worse than the Mita 513Z was the Mita 513Z after the 12 point reliability fix.

mikadonovan
02-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I think the Mita 6090 was even worse than the 513z. Downtime on those pieces of junk was astronomical. You never had to worry about job security if you had many in the field. Guarenteed 1 call per week per machine.

Copier Whisperer
02-14-2009, 12:27 AM
The Ricoh 4700 (early '80s) was a single component, using a sheet master instead of a drum, fiber optic block (remember Canon NP200) and a giant cam with levers that controlled most timing functions. Prime example of fecal ingenuity.

K.I.S.S.
02-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Savin "System 850". A dolled-up Landa 895 with 20 bin tower sorter, LCT & ADF.

The whole unit was POS right out of box. These things made the 840 & the V35 look like works of genius.

JimHegs
02-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Some of my most hated were the Mita DC-6590, DC-8090, DC-4056 and the Ai-3030

mascan42
02-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Not sure if anyone remembers the Xerox 5028. When it first came out, the pin in the doc feeder hinges would work its way loose and bust through the top cover of the feeder. The original power supply would over heat to the point that pieces would start melting. And whose brilliant idea was it to have a rubber-coated upper fuser roll?

lvangsnes
02-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Does anyone remember the Facit 2350? Man, that was some hunkajunk. Monocomponent, cold fuser, moving platen, all driven #35 bicycle chain.
You legacy Minolta techs might remember the EP 4230...The Di151 is a close second. Ok, now I'm really dating myself. I worked on a liquid toner machine that hung on the wall. It was call an Eskofot. You know what? It wasn't a bad machine. It used treated cut sheets. The original fed into an exposure guide that exposed the copy during the same pass, after which it passed through the toner tank, then to the squeegee rolls.

Zoren
02-26-2009, 02:31 PM
gee, i had to read the whole post to be sure but........

anyone, does mita dc-412re and mita dc-142re ring-a-bell.....

i think 412re is worst than 513z... 412re is the mother of all multiple jamming in mita 3 digit series. very bad drive clutches... while 142re is worst ever clamshell designed. skewed copy coz of poorly designed clamshell hinge. and the scanner drive is even your worst nightmare...

copymon
03-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Biggest piece of crap award must go to the Minolta EP 570, ah yes, the glorious 1980s!!!

kentala
04-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Ricoh MPC1500.Heap of shit.

Klydon
04-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Can't hold this to 1 machine, so here is my laundry list of crappy machines I have had to deal with. Most are old dogs from back in the day. I saw some people list stuff like Ricoh 5570. The 5570 was a terrific machine for its time and I had a pile of them to work on. Far better than any listed below.

Savin 840. Saw someone post about this sucker too. Waste of effort, time, material and money. Looked like a copier kit you would buy and put together.

Any Savin short drum liquid machine running the Landa process in a low volume situation. Clean tank and remove pudding once a month.

Ricoh Ripro and Ripro Jr. Machines that move the exposure glass to make a copy should be smashed on the spot. Clamshell to boot.

Ricoh 5560. Take a not very good series of machines to start with and then speed it up. The entire machine had issues from paper feed, to developement, to cleaning, etc.

Savin 7035 (and Ricoh equivalent). Has to be one of the dirtiest running machines ever made.

Ricoh 4000 series. Put a power supply under the transfer section where it is hard to get to and then have development units leak all over them. Good fun.

Ricoh 3320. Flimsy frame caused the devo unit not to be level with resulting copy quality issues. We used to stick "hockey pucks" under the back of the machine so it was "level". Ran like a pig and oh yeah, the fuser unit was known to catch on fire occasionally. Saw several melt jobs on this one.

Aficio 400/500. At least the scanner motor was easy to replace when it wore out from too much heat because it sat above the fusing unit. Analog box converted to digital that was not around for very long thankfully.

Canon GP200/IR210. Another digital with a lot of analog elements. Fragile paper feed unit and really fussy fixing unit make this machine a utter joy to work on. Hope you don't have to have one duplex much. The available accessories were not exactly top shelf either. A sorter for a digital machine? Some rocket scientist probably got promoted for that idea. ;)

IR330/400 with the B1 handler. Machine was not bad, but the handler is total junk. Most we had got swapped out with the A1, which had its own issues, but worked better than a B1 ever thought about.

copytech22
04-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Well this one is getting pretty high on my list: 9040/9050 MP4000/5000
That Fuc*ing toner.... Geessshhhhh MAN. Come up with a better system-or do not recycle it

mtech
04-18-2009, 12:31 AM
ALL,
I think that sums it up nicely.

copytechman
04-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Arrrgh!!! Not the 4230-4233 series!!! Auugh!!! Nevermind the EP470Z!! Yikes! And the gloriously dirty running Aficio 350's and 450's!! Alas poor Lanier 5710 (Af6110) I knew you well!!! And just for kicks lets add an Aficio 2003 for FLAVOUR!!!

Regards!
A.

Shadow1
04-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Well this one is getting pretty high on my list: 9040/9050 MP4000/5000
That Fuc*ing toner.... Geessshhhhh MAN. Come up with a better system-or do not recycle it
I'm at Ricoh University training on this series this week - we've only been screaming about the toner for a few years now. I'll let you know if there are any solutions on the horizon...

Morlock49
04-28-2009, 01:50 AM
The Worst "copier" I ever worked on was a Bell and Howell micro fiche reader printer. To clean the fuser Unit you had to clamp it in a vice and scrub it with a large extra hard steel wire brush.

but to add other machines

Sharp: sf 720 exposure string kept breaking
sf 740 master clamp breaking, 1/2 moon feed roller coming unclamped
sf 825,900,901- cause they were crap
sf 755,756, 760 dev unit crap and seizing up
sf 7750 double clam shell
sf 7850 that rotating letter/a4 tray
ar 350 duplex unit kept breaking

Minolta
was it the ep-3150 that had to have the color dev unit set up through the top of optics system

youngblood
04-30-2009, 05:33 PM
in my opinion, the kyocera km-c850d was the biggest pile of junk that has ever been introduced to the copying industry. a whopping 8 pages a min color!! there is probably some chinese engineer sitting back, laughing his head off at us silly americans... they had soo many issues with clutches and d.v.'s and conveying parts etc... it wasn't even close to fun. i worked on one from 5:00 pm to 2:30 am once.... i ended up selling them something new.

OJ the Bodge
05-01-2009, 01:23 PM
In the distance past Canon brought out a Duel componet I think it was the 1812.
What a pile of crap that was, had a TD sheet that had to be done up with 7mm socket,in the right order, no normal philips screws in it, until the engineer left cause you replaced them with proper screws.
Was only in the field for a couple of years as they were all pulled asap.

CDVMike
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Minolta 4230/4300/5400 These machines were money makers unless they were under contract.

Canon PC 25 actually it was kinda fun working on this one quite a challenge at times I take it back I liked the early Canon PC series like the PC 7 that you had to dismantle to clean the optics in the middle (unless you broke the slit glass which I would never do! )

mascan42
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Of the machines I currently work on, I'd have to say the KM Bizhub 420/500 is garbage. They took a perfectly good 7145 toner hopper and "improved" it until it's the #1 cause of service calls on that model. If you have to come out with nine tech bulletins on the same problem and make six or seven modifications to make sure the customer can install the toner properly, you fucked up the original design. At least the newer 421/501 seems to do better in that respect.

time2fly
05-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I've worked on Panasonic, Canon, and Konica Minolta out of the three Konica Minolta are the worst at least the ones I worked on. Di550, CF2002-3102 actually the CF3102 aren't to bad Di250-351 the worst one is the BizHub Pro c500.

scepter2112
05-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I agree with 1087 about the 8090/2280 being a BIG pos but does anyone recall working on older analog panasonics, i.e., FP series? 1530,3007,3030,5060? They ran dirty and had an infinite amount of cold solder connections?

The Genesis series, clutches and chain driven Duplex taught me Patients

Tim C
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Most of you won't remember this one. It's a Dinasour Called the RBC IV.
Royal Bond Copier put this BEAST out in the late 70's. Unreal issues. This thing had a huge wrap around Master Sheet. with an Oven for a fuser. For that baked in freshness. Many of OMG fire jams. Electrical problems out the Wazzu. This was a Floor Model, you could almost climb inside.

mitchl
05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Anything that says Panasucktic on it and another real bundle of joy was the amazing Konica 1290, what a freaking heap! Anybody remember the Saxon liquids OMF they where shirt ruining monsters, what a nightmare or how about the Saxon PPC 1?

leroyal
05-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Anything that says Panasucktic on it and another real bundle of joy was the amazing Konica 1290, what a freaking heap! Anybody remember the Saxon liquids OMF they where shirt ruining monsters, what a nightmare or how about the Saxon PPC 1?

Yeah, Mitchl, did lots of Saxons & SCM's.

You're dating yourself, bro. How about Dennison Copiers? Standard, Economist, CopyMaster, DVC, CVC, BC-14, BC-28.

Saxons & Dennisons were why I always wore cheap, white, short-sleeve shirts and black pants. (still do!)

leroyal
05-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Kyocera is striving for this honor with their FS-c5016,c5025, & c5030......oops,I forgot they renamed them, EcoShit Color Printers. Toner blowin' sumbitches.

mitchl
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, Mitchl, did lots of Saxons & SCM's.

You're dating yourself, bro. How about Dennison Copiers? Standard, Economist, CopyMaster, DVC, CVC, BC-14, BC-28.

Saxons & Dennisons were why I always wore cheap, white, short-sleeve shirts and black pants. (still do!)
Remember the sediment piles in the bottom of the tanks? Yeah Leroyal your right I really sort of gave away my age here's another on the Remington liquid which was a saxon but was marketed by a electric shaver company.... Go figure!:rolleyes:

techspec
05-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Its probaly been mentioned here before but the Ricoh MP5000 must take the award for being the poorest of the poor:( No other machine out there can touch this one!

Hose1cook
05-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Toshiba BD-601 as mentioned a fire hazard.
Toshiba BD-909 a big old piece of crap
Remington 501 or some such model, another smoke and flames box
Canon NP-5000 the first console they put out, a big dog
Dennison Bond Copier, a first class toner blower
anything Apeco

leroyal
05-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Toshiba BD-601 as mentioned a fire hazard.
Toshiba BD-909 a big old piece of crap
Remington 501 or some such model, another smoke and flames box
Canon NP-5000 the first console they put out, a big dog
Dennison Bond Copier, a first class toner blower
anything Apeco

Hehe,

Yeah, the Dennison BC-28 and BC-14 with a 6 lb. drum,

I still have 2 drum containers.

techspec
05-26-2009, 09:07 PM
After this past week I'm adding the Ricoh MP4000/MP5000 to this list:-

Twelve months ago I never thought you could make the NAD based 35/45 cpm engine any worse.

But they haven't half proved me wrong:-

The dev and toner has never been particularly great on this family, but this latest version is shocking,even with the Dev/Charge bias changes you are lucky if you get 50k before it overtones itself to death.

And why oh why did they put an oil web on the fuser? The 3035/3045 didn't have them and didn't particularly suffer for it. More to the point though why did they have to put such a fiddly one on when changing the web in the MP7500 is a five minute job? And why do one in three MP5000 web units have a seized alan screw so you can't get the damn thing apart without taking a hacksaw to it?

Why did they combine the PCU and Dev unit into a single unit, when all this achieves is making the tech spend another five minutes farting around over what he used to spend on a 3045.

I wish I could load every single one of these sh*tboxes into a rocket and fire it into the sun.

I've bought the rocket, you round them up. If there's any room can I put a few MPC1500sp in there.:D;)

mtech
05-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Lets face it. They all are just piece's of crap. That is why we all love/ hate them. They make us money- that is good (love) they make us crazy trying to keep them running-that is bad (hate). But the chase is a wonderful thing.

Shadow1
05-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Lets face it. They all are just piece's of crap. That is why we all love/ hate them. They make us money- that is good (love) they make us crazy trying to keep them running-that is bad (hate). But the chase is a wonderful thing.
Have you ever thought of seeking psychiatric help?

Seriously.

mtech
05-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I went to get help but I didn't like the way their copier stared at me!

Pandy
05-28-2009, 01:11 AM
I totally agree with you on those heaps! The old 5570 and 4490 Ricoh fuser oil/analog and 7570s sucked too!! Does anyone remember the FX10???? Damn!!! That could be the biggest POS ever!!! The faxes from that era were such a joke the developer issues we battled with tape and all sorts of bubble gum fixes.

Custom Search