PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 overwrite (this falls under "everything else")

Custom Search

mikadonovan
05-19-2011, 01:42 AM
I have a friend that bought a laptop from a local retailer a year ago. Like a lot of systems, it is corrupted with the usual crapware and is running WAY slow. I have remedied this in the past by saving data and reloading the OS again. She has no OS disk as this BIG retailer makes a SHITLOAD of money by preloading the OS and charging premium for repair. Will I have a problem with loading a new windows 7 OS on top of what was originally installed?(same version, same bits) I have access to the drivers needed, so that part is cool. Any info is helpful. (Toshiba laptop)

Mr Spock
05-19-2011, 05:10 AM
This may have a restore partition on the hard drive to reload the O/S to factory install. Search the user manual (or the website) for how to activate the reload.

JustManuals
05-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Mr Spock is correct. Which version of Windows 7? I can prolly get you the image file for it. (no charge)

Paul

hekotez
05-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Yeah all manufacturers arent shipping the recovery dvd's ... there's a hidden recovery partition from where you can restore everything to "factory default"
BUT, its a recovery not an OEM image so yeah... with new OS you also will get all the crapware that came with it from the box, usually antivirus trial etc etc etc etc etc.
You either recover from there and right after do a cleanup, uninstalling all "crapware" and tidding up the place, or you can try to use an OEM dvd, worse that can happen is at install the OEM not recognizing the original key (volume licensing key... tho this never happened to me).
If you want to go for a clean system my advice do a backup of docs etc then boot from the dvd and do a full format (At format stage, you should see there the hidden recovery partition for obvious reasons dont touch it.) and install...
Then just go online and DL all the necessary driver's directly from the manufacturer.

TonerMunkeh
05-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the restore partition. My usual trick for flattening something with an NTFS partition or later is to put a Windows 98 CD in the machine and use fdisk to delete it. Then, download and image of the Windows 7 installation disk from TPB or similiar, bung it in the drive and it will do the rest from there. Inputting the Windows key into the installer will select the correct version of Windows. No mess, no bother, no annoying crap installed. Sorted. NB - formatting the HDD won't remove the MBR so anything that Windows sneaks in there will still be there. Best off just killing the partition and starting from scratch.

mikadonovan
05-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. She's dragging her feet on deciding if she wants me to look at her computer, so I'm not worried about it anymore.

JustManuals
05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
On newer computers, you can't load Win98 or even XP. The memory isn't compatible.

hekotez
05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
You can load XP on any computer... when it comes to laptops the restrictions are on wether theres driver's available for the periferals (like wireless, access keys, webcam, etc)
Win98 its pretty much impossible to get driver's and the SO itself recognizes a small amount of RAM...
All SO's XP,vista,7 based on 32Bits have a limit on how much Ram they can manage (theory says 4gb tho most motherboards hog some and only about 3.5Gb are usable by the SO, only way to overcome this limitation is to use a 64Bit SO... Wich at title of curiosity true 64Bit can access 16 Exabytes (1Eb = 1000000 Terabytes)... win7 Ultimate 64bit is limited to 128Gb.

TonerMunkeh
05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
You don't load 98, you just boot from the CD and use the DOS prompt to run fdisk.

JustManuals
05-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Ohhhh. Thanx, I'll keep that in mind when I reformat. I'll boost your rep.

Paul

gneebore
07-04-2011, 02:05 PM
You don't load 98, you just boot from the CD and use the DOS prompt to run fdisk.

You can also use any of the upgrade/install xp disks to do the same thing. Boot from the cd and delete partitions and format them(ntfs or fat) without installing if you prefer. In some instances you can use the upgrade disks to reinstall the os without removing the installed aps. Just use the same version of the os as the original install. Use XP home with home and pro with pro.

TonerMunkeh
07-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Oooh, I didn't know XP had fdisk in it. I'll have to dig out my disc and have a shufty. Ta dude!

gneebore
07-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Oooh, I didn't know XP had fdisk in it. I'll have to dig out my disc and have a shufty. Ta dude!

It doesn't. It has a different system to set up hard drives. Something very similar. If you get into the repair mode there is a routine that is I think called "hardparm". I've only ventured into the console mode once or twice. Never saw the need to type commands when I can use the installation system on the cd.

Hemlock
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Load the latest *nix and tell her she's a cool haxxor now.

Rob Sandberg
07-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Before you reload anything google the utlilty PC Decrapifier. I think i found it on majorgeeks.com.
This utility was made just for the problem.

Rob S

TheOwl
07-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Another thing to look at is the software that is preloaded on to the system.

Acer has one now which uses the recovery partition as a store for the ISO files. You run an application from within Windows and it will create the recovery disks with drivers that you need.

See if you can find anything like recovery manager or backup manager that might be of help to you.

CompyTech
07-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Dell I think is about the only manufacturer that still provides OS CDs. Ive used a Dell branded XP Pro to Reformat/ Reinstall on our Acer laptop(s) at work over the factory XP Home. But as to your original post. I would wipe it clean with a fresh OS install. :cool:

Also there are all kinds of free Boot Disks/Utilities/Apps for doing maintenance for your PC.

KenB
07-08-2011, 01:33 AM
You can also get all sorts of bootdisks and other cool utilities from Bootdisk.Com (http://www.bootdisk.com).

It's not free, but it's like $4 or $5 to download all you want over a timed period.

Custom Search