PDA

View Full Version : Be careful of C250 Fans

Custom Search

dogsbody
08-21-2007, 11:34 AM
A few days ago our junior tech (2 years experience) went to a C250 calling a code for transfer belt separation. After 4 hours I got a call to help. When I arrived he had removed the MFP board looking for some sort of binding - with the amount he had pulled apart I found that the fuser drive was the only siezed gearbox (that turned out to be a melted "transparency" (PVC cover) and was the original fault). While I sorted out the fuser I had him put the machine back together. When power was switched on I almost instantly smelled an "oh shit" smell went to pull the power cord and saw quite a good light show from the power board (next to power supply).
What had happened was when the two fans were unplugged to remove the MFP Board one fan cable held onto the gender changer the other fan cable did not. What he had done was plug the two fans together plus the two power cables with expensive results.
There were probably a couple of lessons taken away from this exercise, It is very easy to stuff up cabling if you not paying attention and always double check the work of the apprentice's (you would have had to check this very carefully because when all the cables are plugged in it was easily missed).
Cheers

wagon
08-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Perhaps it is a good time to remind some of us (nag??) (especially the 'apprentices') to mark connectors and such before they are undone. It is easy to forget which one goes where, especially when it is a machine you have not worked on much before. You cannot always rely on your memory. You can get very fine permanent marker pens that are great for this purpose - I got one at my local electrical wholesaler (ie 'trade only' stuff).

Kendall.

Rudi
08-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Well We All Are Never To Old Nor To Clever To Learn.

oluwatope333
09-04-2020, 02:35 PM
A few days ago our junior tech (2 years experience) went to a C250 calling a code for transfer belt separation. After 4 hours I got a call to help. When I arrived he had removed the MFP board looking for some sort of binding - with the amount he had pulled apart I found that the fuser drive was the only siezed gearbox (that turned out to be a melted "transparency" (PVC cover) and was the original fault). While I sorted out the fuser I had him put the machine back together. When power was switched on I almost instantly smelled an "oh shit" smell went to pull the power cord and saw quite a good light show from the power board (next to power supply).
What had happened was when the two fans were unplugged to remove the MFP Board one fan cable held onto the gender changer the other fan cable did not. What he had done was plug the two fans together plus the two power cables with expensive results.
There were probably a couple of lessons taken away from this exercise, It is very easy to stuff up cabling if you not paying attention and always double check the work of the apprentice's (you would have had to check this very carefully because when all the cables are plugged in it was easily missed).
Cheers
i made this same mistake 13 yrs after you posted this piece, it was a bitter experience that ive learnt from!!!

BillyCarpenter
09-04-2020, 03:00 PM
Perhaps it is a good time to remind some of us (nag??) (especially the 'apprentices') to mark connectors and such before they are undone. It is easy to forget which one goes where, especially when it is a machine you have not worked on much before. You cannot always rely on your memory. You can get very fine permanent marker pens that are great for this purpose - I got one at my local electrical wholesaler (ie 'trade only' stuff).

Kendall.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

tech51
09-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Marking connectors and taking photos as you pull bits off works for me and my ageing memory:)

copyman
09-04-2020, 11:46 PM
No sure if but think there is a new C250?

If not the new model at least if you fried a board it happen to an old obsolete C250. If you can find one at a wholesaler it should no more than $50-$100 for the whole machine!

Let me know if you need anything I have 2 working machines I'll strip for parts.

blackcat4866
09-04-2020, 11:56 PM

Kendall.

It was some time in the 90's that they started keying connectors and color coding connectors to avoid this sort of thing. I got in the habit of checking with each connector removed, to see if it would reach another connector that fits, then mark it if necessary. I only had to smoke test one power supply to learn this lesson.
=^..^=

copier tech
09-05-2020, 01:27 PM
Cheers

C250 or C250i ?

tsbservice
09-05-2020, 06:31 PM
C250 or C250i ?

This post and thread are 13 years old, don't think they even dreamed about i-series back then. It's C250.

copier tech
09-05-2020, 08:14 PM
This post and thread are 13 years old, don't think they even dreamed about i-series back then. It's C250.

ha ha so it is I didn't spot that!

allan
09-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Hehe yea had almost the exact same thing only with a newer model also asked the appie to reassemble and he got the fan plugged into the wrong connector.
Smoke escaped the fan. Lucky only the fan got toasted.

C360 i think...

Some electronic Chinese products include very willfully designed booby traps where the connectors will be exactly the same and next to each other or black wire positive and red negative...

Custom Search